Thinking about ordering a cs Jackson

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by WestOfSeven, Feb 5, 2018.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

:agreed:

That's what I'm doing this year. I should be able to get a USA M-II 7-string for significantly less than a Jackson.

Millul and cardinal like this.
  2. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

I know Masterbuilt has not been accepting orders for a long while now, the Custom Select shop is also not taking new orders either?

3. sezna

sezna undermotivated

a custom suhr 7 would run you ~$3100

4. MaxOfMetal

Not with the specs the OP wants.

If he's willing to compromise on scale, neck joint, fretboard, etc. it would be a great option. I love my Suhr 7s, but that's not the guitar the OP seems to want.

5. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

that's because lots of people don't appreciate the extra options, they see basically the "same" guitar but without exotic woods and fancy finishes selling for less and they don't get why they have to overpay for the fancy one, I bet the loss is not so big on the basic models

6. MaxOfMetal

It's not about "appreciation", the price of upgrades has risen significantly and quality has not.

The loss is worse on the basic stuff because it's so close to the price of a new one. Why buy a used one for couple hundred off when you can grab a new one in your choice of color and frets with warranty? The basic stuff needs to be heavily discounted to move.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Can you warmoth up something?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

warmoth only has one 7 string headstock and it's not a soloist one.

9. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Warmoth’s 7-strings don’t have those specs at all. The necks are 25” or 28.something” scales.

10. WestOfSeven

WestOfSeven SS.org Regular

My dealer called Jackson and they arent taking orders at this time. Can't even give a window when they might be in the future.

I'm sure I'd be fine with a Kiesel but it's more about the principal of the thing in this case. I don't want to support a company that treats its customers like that.

Gonna look into getting a esp made. A horizon fr7 with a 27" scale would be cool.

Local shop has a Eii fr7 on sale for $2200 cdn. Its too bad that its standard scale.

Vyn likes this.
  11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

Just checking you've tried and like 27" scales and the EMG 81-7?

You could always go with Schecter Masterworks? or another custom shop which would come in a lot less than your budget.

Mathemagician likes this.
  12. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

It's not like other companies will offer such upgrades way cheaper and if cheaper at all
    And it's exactly about appreciation, once I had a blue-black burst dc400 with the quilted maple top and without the top, alder body and maple neck visible on the front, when I was moving them it was really hard to explain to people why I was asking more for the quilted one cause in their eyes they were almost the same.

13. MaxOfMetal

Have you seen the prices for upgrades lately? They charge more than almost anyone else for tops/wood and finishes.

I've been buying and selling Carvin stuff for many years.

The problem is you're in competition with custom builds and in-stocks as well as the rest of the used market. People are only going to pay so much before just getting a new one.

Not to mention those pricey aesthetic upgrades only matter if that's what the potential used buyer absolutely loves.

14. oversteve

oversteve SS.org Regular

Well, checked them right now, 50-60$ upcharge for body swap from alder to ash, mahogany or walnut isn't pricey, tops are 250+ depending on the top type which seems to be ok.
    Checked Suhr for comparison - body swap starting from 100, 3/16 flame maple top +500 etc.

I'm not trying to protect them by any means since all the Carvins/Kiesels I've bought were used :D it's just that they do solid instruments for reasonable price regardles of their customer service and personalities

15. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Jackson's Custom Shop isn't taking masterbuilt orders right now, otherwise I have nothing but good things to say about my custom soloist. I'm pretty sure the builder responsible for the infamous 23 fret guitar is no longer there (can't imagine why). The impression I got from my local dealer is that they had closed down the masterbuilt orders to accommodate making instruments for some of their endorsees and NAMM stuff (though we didn't see much from them at NAMM either) and make progress on their insane backlog 2ish years for some masterbuilt orders. Their custom shop is actually a smaller operation than most people realize and it wouldn't surprise me if Suhr, etc. actually had more people on staff. The word is that moving Joe Williams to master builder was a move to address this since they've basically been running a man short for 2-3 years, and before that I'm pretty sure they were already a man short of normal operations. There has been talk about bringing over some of the Fender CS staff, but I feel like there's office politics to moves like that.

If you want soloist specs ESP is the way to go right now. Or maybe one of the smaller builders like Mayones or Ran. Though, I haven't been around the community much the past two or so years and I don't know if they still have a good reputation.

JimF likes this.
  16. WestOfSeven

WestOfSeven SS.org Regular

Contacted the Jackson custom shop directly and they told me 10 month wait time for a master built with my specs.

Going to place the order tomorrow.

JimF, kamello, cardinal and 3 others like this.
  17. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

That's awesome!

Although what's not so awesome is that my wallet is now toast...

18. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

Awesome. Glad it seems they have it all figured out over there. Just don't be surprised if it's a bit longer than 10 months.

19. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Awesome! Let us know what dealer you end up using.

20. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Did you order directly from them or go through a dealer?