Thinking about an Iron Label - Are the quality issues still there?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by 777, Feb 13, 2018.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

one of my top complains (if not n1) about Ibanez.

just let the wood natural, look far better than that crap brown/red stain that has nothing to do with a black/white guitar theme. Or even better jsut stain it black!.... I have no idea whos in charge of colors in Ibanez but I do believe hes color blind or something, just have a look at the 2018 line with the weirdest burst choices ever

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

always try before you buy with production guitars below 1500$ imo (or at least buy from a place that will do returns/exchanges). Ibby quality varies from guitar to guitar but especially with their low to midpriced tier of guitars. Some indos are pretty solid and others are about as good as a really cheap dean/epi (ie not good).

3. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Yeah, with these Indo guitars, quality is just spotty. You have literally a 50-50 shot of getting a good one or a lemon. Def. see if there is a store near you that has one (or a couple) and try it in person. It's not just an Ibanez problem, but because all their sub $2k guitars are pretty much all made in either China or Indonesia, they're pretty strong representatives on that front. Sad, really, cause the Iron Labels really do look good now.

I would def. say look for used MiJ or even MiK standard series! Had some great luck with those.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

all the RGAs I have tried felt "ok", like with new strings and a proper settup they would be great. But I tried more recently the S iron label, the one with the bur/green burst, and felt great!, picked the black/grey RGA next to it and I was like "uhg"... So their quality can be hit or miss, jsut try them if you can.

I say theres nothing really wrong with them, jsut get them propertly settup and they should be fine. They arent a 4K instrument so bring down your expectations and you would be happy

AkiraSpectrum and Vyn like this.
  5. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

This. So much this. I think a lot of people, especially here after playing/having access to some seriously high-end one-off customs or used gear that's been modded/set-up to a higher spec have had their perceptions distorted a bit when it comes to feel of something in a lower price bracket. Coming from a Blackmachine or something else on that level to an average Indo guitar is going to feel much, much worse than it actually is.

Little bit of a tangent, but also keep in mind inflation when looking at price which seems to be a big complaint of the Iron Label range - $1000US ten years ago is roughly $1200US now.

6. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Thankfully I've had better like with the Iron Labels, particularly the latter models. I've tried the multi-scale RGD (apparently Ibanez can't called these fanned frets anymore) and the purple RG, and both were much better than most of the models of yesteryear (or any Iron Label in the past actually). Prior to these, most of the Iron Labels were dead planks dressed with pretty specs. Granted they also had that gaudy abalone phase, which I'm glad Ibanez have since got over.

Also being mid priced imports, these are ideal for touring instruments to beat up. Have them set up well to last a run of dates, and you have solid guitars you won't feel so bad after a few dings or so.

couverdure likes this.
  7. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

I think that's the main issue most people have with them ie: price. When you can get a brand new 652/655/752 for about the same price or only a few hundred more, and that's with a case worth around $150-200, I really can't see where the value is in these 800-1000 USD iron labels. Am I wrong?

I just got a 655 last week for 1450 AUD which is just over 1k USD(stuffs more expensive over here yay), and that was after trying what 2018 indo stuff that the store had, most of it more expensive then the 655. The 655 and a 652 they also had blew everything out of the water in terms of overall fit/finish and out of the box playability, I could just take my 655 home and play it without having to spend extra on getting a level or worrying about fixing annoying issues.

Vyn likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Where the hell did you find a used 655 for $1450AUD? C'mon, spill, fellow Aussie here :p

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

The store I used to go in Mooloolaba got the 655 at 1700-ish, but the others at 1300/1400$ they usually pretty good at Ibanez prices

yeah fair enough, check it out and yeah those models are around 100-300$ price difference up/down with the Prestiges. Granted they are basic color finishes, vs wood "tops"( cough *veneers* cough) of hte iron lables, plus ebony/locking tunners blah blah.

Depends on what you want, I usualyl go for visuals first, then start looking at specs. Not too fond of the prestiges in solid colors, reason why I never really GASed for any of those, but I did for the RGA iron label. Until I tried multiscale guitars, and now I cant even look at Ibanez anymore lol

10. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne SS.org Regular

Played one coming from and old LTD MH400 MIK which weighs 14 pounds of real mahogany. From the moment I took the RGAIX in my hand, I felt something was seriously wrong

11. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

There’s nothing wrong with nato. Just has a bad rep as fake mahogony.

I love the stuff. No reason for electric guitars to be heavy.

Vyn likes this.
  12. TheUnknownOne

The wrong thing is selling a 800/1000$ nato guitar while advertising it as true mahogany, that's it. If you want "quality" nato, just buy a 300 bucks VGS and call it a day. Ibanez is going down the wrong road doing this kind of stuff.

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's the thing, everyone is using Nato and similar woods which are legally Mahogany, but aren't.

You think those $800 Schecters and LTDs are actual Mahogany? Think again.

14. TheUnknownOne

Some Shecters and MIK LTDs I played felt really close to my friend's PRS Custom 24, so IMO it was definitely closer to what one would expect from a wood labeled as "mahogany" (loud resonance unplugged, wide low mids and singing highs, weight on the heavy side).

That was not the case at all with those Iron Label guitars.

15. MaxOfMetal

Mahogany substitutes run the gamut in weight and color, it's not really an indicator.

16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

In the end of the day, what matters is your judgement as the consumer. If you're happy with a guitar advertised as mahogany being lighter than a basswood guitar, that's fine by me and I wouldn't go as far as arguing that there is a direct correlation between weight and tone but there is a reason why car manufacturers spend millions and millions on people who do nothing but design a car for the optimal haptic perception of the consumer.
    People tend to attribute value to the weight of things and no matter whether it's a correct judgement or not, that's just how people work on a psychological level. Going out of their way by staining the "maybe mahogany" to make it look like its heavier bretheren is just a cheap way of making the guitar seem more valuable than it actually is. It's like the whole "veneer vs full top" issue.

17. MaxOfMetal

Come to think of it, the RGAIX7 isn't mahogany.

It's Ash.

So what were we talking about again? :scratch:

18. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Semantics. There is an RGAIX7 model made of ash but OP specifically asked about the "mahogany + flame maple" variant.

19. MaxOfMetal

But which one did your friend have? The one you've been saying is super light?

From this post:

20. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

The 7-string version of the one that OP linked.
    That reminds me, I wanted to ask how much his guitar weighs. :lol: