The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

IGC likes this.
  2. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I gotta throw this on and listen to the entire thing when I got some time.

Immediate impressions listening on laptop speakers; I think you might need to tweak the compression on your mix bus. Dunno if its my speakers but it sounds like there is weird pumping going on. The snare also ends up disappearing in the mix. I'd probably ease up on the reverb a bit on it and bring it up a bit and bring the cymbals down a bit.

3. Christopher Beattie

Christopher Beattie SS.org Regular

4. axxessdenied

IGC likes this.
  5. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

@axxessdenied definitely some cool stuff I dig industrial metal don't have much constructive criticism to offer but I like what I hear in your noise implant project.

@theo I liked the unrefined mix nature of Black Woods, I also liked that effect on the intro guitars it adds an all most a liquid effect
    to them. Don't have much constructive criticism to offer except maybe a little more tone to the guitars in my cheap headphones.

Hello all, new to this thread, anyhow this is an idea I came up with and tacked a few years ago with Ableton, thought it would be interesting to see what happens if I posted it here for other people to have a listen. Definitely most interested in some guitar track panning info for mixing. Definitely crank the volume up to have a listen, thanks:tmm:

https://soundcloud.com/user-713812345/subliminal-mind-warper

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  6. axxessdenied

@theo sounds a lot different on my computer mix wise than on my laptop. so that'll tell you that the mix isn't really translating well across systems and unfortunately cellphones and laptop speakers are one of the most common ways people listen to music now :(

7. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@axxessdenied your latest track doesn't play for me?

@IGC you've gotta double track those guitars homie! Pan one left and another right. You'll see immediate changes after that :)

I've updated my mix a decent bit, everything till now I'd done on cans which was a new experience for me. Listening back on my monitors has led me to make a few changes, I also discovered that my room mic for the drums was going through an extra stage of compression unintentionally which was leading to that pumping sound you heard... WHOOPS!: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pqSIx_kxeRz1RIoKeUoy4HA1_asmsc3N/view?usp=sharing

IGC likes this.
  8. IGC

IGC Guitar farter arounder

@theo had a listen to your new mix with my 808 headphones, definitely everything sounds better and hits you harder than the first mix. It is heavy/ dark wich I think works for the song, diggin it:yesway:

Thanks for the panning advice, I knew it was something like pan one stereo hard left and pan one mono hard right or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  9. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

Here is something I put together in effort to get a good guitar tone and balanced mix (i.e.; it's not much of an idea at this point).. I think I used MT Power Drumkit on this, would have to double check the project. Appreciate feedback on any aspect of the track.

https://soundcloud.com/xaptronic/strabo-3

10. axxessdenied

@theo renamed my soundcloud thats why hahaha : https://soundcloud.com/noiseimplant/noise-implant-song-2/s-CvjIs <-- really fun track. layered a moog synth, my pedals feedbacking on each other, fuzz guitars, etc :D still need to mix it but this is more of what I want to write I would say. Not really mixed well yet but this is totally going to be on my EP :)

Also : https://soundcloud.com/noiseimplant/moog-fuckaround_2/s-iKOyD <-- Moog Mother-32 jam.everything was synthesized on it (including drums). pretty stoked about the sounds im discovering here. Getting close to that autechre / aphex twin vibe! I'm loving the analog workflow. Softsynths + automation is so unintuitive for a creative workflow. Loving tinkering with physical knobs. I'm planning on going down the eurorack path *flips off his wallet*

11. axxessdenied

oh yeah forgot to mention - the first track has guitar in F#F#BEG#C# tuning on a 24.75" scale guitar xD

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

This is tasty man! little on the bright side overall, I'd tame the high end in the guitars and bring the vocals a little lower (they won't compete so much to be heard is you carve some room in the guitars).

The low end on those guitars is tight!

Not a WIP anymore, but I'd post here in case anyone was following. This is my first credited release as an engineer!
    https://stonethroat.bandcamp.com/track/andromedary-part-one

13. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@xaptronic is that a low res mix down? things are sounding kinda grainy and weird to my ears, I think your mix could benefit from some careful compression and work on bringing that low end up too.

@axxessdenied that's cool man! I'd do something to make that percussive (snare?) pulse a little less sharp, it's kinda painful, either slower compression to stop the transient being so massive or an eq cut may help?

14. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

@theo it was not intended to be - I'm rather new at this.. I basically just recorded my guitar parts, put some drums and adjusted levels and put a limiter. Would you suggest trying some compression on the master itself? Or individually on each instrument?

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

This has fallen a long way off, anyway I decided to get back to trying to do some recording, any ideas compositionally on this are welcome, I think I maybe need less gain in the guitars but...you know, gain. No processing yet apart from the odd high- and low- pass.

https://soundcloud.com/prolegomena-1/two-four-drum-take-1

16. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

Sounds nice man, curious about your setup, for tones and drums.. it sounds all mic'd?

As far as your track goes, to my ear, it kind of sounds like there are two song ideas in here. The intro riff and up to about 0:42 and then the transition the next part and then around 1:39 or so the riff you play is sort of similar to the other one a bit, but it also sounds like it could be a different song.

Not sure about the riff around 3:04 - to my ear it sounds a little bit hokey.

Overall, with a bit of arrangement of parts and some work on the transitions it could be a cool tune. Do you envision any kind of vocal to this or more instrumental?

17. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Guitars are Mesa Mark V in to a Suhr reactive load, left is into a Mesa 2x12 IR and right into a Marshall 4x12 IR, drums are mic'd just with 2 overheads and a kick and snare mic, bass is a Tech 21 VT di with a green rhino in front to rough it up a bit.

I think you're probably right about that riff, it was one of those things that I played once for a bit of a laugh and then it stuck around.

I think I'd like to fit some vocals in somewhere eventually.

18. NickLAudio

NickLAudio Audio/Video Engineer

Just some rough and sloppy scratch tracks here. Everything was done on cheapo equipment and free plugins in Reaper (Scarlet, LePou, MT-Dumkit, Douglas 7, etc...). Going to be re-recorded on my ProTools rig with my Agile 7 27-30 scale and cousin's multi scale 6 bass. Mix was done in maybe 10 minutes LOL but let me know if I'm headed in the right direction guys! Thanks for checking it out!

https://soundcloud.com/nicklaudio/zigarten-moon-test

IGC likes this.
  19. xaptronic

xaptronic SS.org Regular

That's a sick track! I have pretty well no feedback as that is way better than I can do. It already sounds produced... looking forward to hearing the final result.

20. axxessdenied

I would spend some more time refining your ideas and working on the arrangement. I hear some good ideas. Would work on fleshing them out and making it more cohesive.

Dig the ideas. I think you've got a killer track on the horizon. One thing I think is if you're going to go for a 5+ min song I would maybe add some tiny variations to the riffs that repeat often. Or.. rearrange it so that it's going to be a 4min song max. really good start though! \m/

Here's the latest track I uploaded : https://soundcloud.com/noiseimplant/you-are-a-slave
    I think the biggest challenge I will have with this one is getting the drums to translate well onto smaller speakers. But, need some vox on it first. I've been doing more synth / industrial stuff lately.