The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

@Andrew74x sounds cool so far man! Have you heard of soothe? It's a pretty amazing plugin that does magic on cleaning up resonant frequencies on guitars. Check out the demo :)
    I'm glad my track reminds you of front242. I'm writing a project called Noise Implant right now and it's basically paying homage to some of my favourite electro artists growing up. NIN, Haujobb, Frontline Assembly, Funker Vogt, Front 242, Das Ich, etc. \m/

@theo glad you dig it! can't wait to finish this song.

Thanks for the comments guys. I was pretty unsure of doing the vox but just said fuck it and did it. Can't wait to tinker some more and see what happens. The Infected Mushroom Manipulator VST is a lot of fun and recommend you guys check it out for some interesting sound mangling.

2. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

I've tried it on a few thing but not really guitar. My demo has expired now. I just didn't take the time yet to EQ out all the whislely stuff but I know its there.

3. axxessdenied

Soothe is such a time saver with that stuff :D

4. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

So your saying it will eq out all that shit for you? Does it do a good job? I just might have to buy it then.

5. axxessdenied

Grab the demo! It's a really powerful plugin. It does an amazing job of reducing those annoying frequencies. Depending on the source track you might have to add an extra cut if it gets by soothe. But, spending some time figuring out how it really works can really speed up your workflow like crazy which is great because you spend less time listening to boosted frequencies just to cut them out and fatigue your ears.

6. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@Andrew74x Sounds pretty cool man! I think your vocals could stand to fall back into the mix a little more and your bass could come up a fair bit too

7. axxessdenied

I can't stop making 80s synthwavey stuff lol
    https://clyp.it/gqai1vap

Also started to tinker with after effects some more so i can make cool videos for the songs when I release them.

8. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

This is so warm and soothing. Like drinking Vick's vaporub. Ok maybe not quite that warm.

9. axxessdenied

Hahaha thanks :D

I wrote a couple more tunes yesterday. Still gotta finish them.
    https://soundcloud.com/axxessdenied/022518a/s-JCIAe <-- this one has some weird shit going on that I don't like in certain parts.

https://soundcloud.com/axxessdenied/noise-implant-0225182/s-3ZydK <-- this one I want to add guitars to still. I recorded some but I gotta get it tighter since it's all midi on the grid and I want to fix the chord progression in one spot I don't like how it sat (didnt include the guitars on this one)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Well damn it's been a while guys!

I mixed this last night with rather fatigued ears and a set of cans (I'm normally a monitors guy).

Very interested in getting some feedback, this is my first mix in a long time with an acoustic drumkit too, challenging is an understatement! Vocals will be added in the next day or two:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JXnjJpXpizb-U57ISSr5NpMQeP_SeS__

11. axxessdenied

Dig the tune.

Mix wise.

Theres way too much low end.
    Track is overall pretty dark. I would probably cut a good amount of the fluff in the low end. toss an EQ on the master bus and +6db shelf around 7-8k.
    I think the snare could be a bit more pokey and maybe use more crack. If you have virtual mix rack give the Air module a try on snare for a good crack. a tiny bit goes a long way!

12. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

It's funny you mention that! When I got to work today I referenced on a set of headphones I'm much more familiar with and came to the same decision.

I didn't try air on the snare, I gave it an EQ bump but I think air would probably do a better job.

Here's where I got to on my lunchbreak (laptops are SICK): https://drive.google.com/open?id=10qDg3VEOj4Do52vmNo4o8oX1fNeU7fi1

13. axxessdenied

CS-LIFT and Revival are also great on snare! I also like the London(?the dark blue one) pre on snare as well :D
    This is sounding much better already. I feel like the guitars need some nastiness to them now :)

14. axxessdenied

15. Semikiller

Semikiller SS.org Regular

16. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

I'll join this threads 102nd revival :p Really enjoying your electronic stuff man! Mix wise, in the first one I feel like the snare is slightly loud and gets tiring after a while. And it could overall use some more low end from the kick and bass. But nothing else really stands out! Cool stuff!

Cool song man! I can hear the Spanner! :p From a mixing perspective, the drums are very drum machine like and sound unrealistic. Which is a bit of a pity because I feel like the song really need some groovy and lively drums. Play with the velocities, and change up the samples a little. Imo the kick is too clicky for this style, and the snare is just the same hit all the time. Some awesome drums will put a finishing touch to the song, which I might add, I really enjoy!

As for me; Also venturing into non guitar territory and to something that maybe doesn't belong on ss.org, but it's fun to mess about and work on improving my production for other styles.
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/mary-poppins

17. axxessdenied

I like the song idea. Mix-wise the drums are pretty static like stijn mentioned. Sounds like the HH might be crushed a bit too much? As for the drum programming add some ghost notes on the snare (super quiet hits, verrrry low velocity). They won't be very audible but they'll help add some feel to the song. As for velocity in general just think about how a drummer plays and what hits they accent and which ones they will play more softly and try to mimic that. Don't mess with the kick too much though. A good trick in a pinch to get things to not be so robotic is to humanize and then quantize again and then go ahead and do your velocity edits.

:D
    I love that 80s tape-wobble pad that you have going on. The song is pretty chill. But, I feel like the hats are a bit static for this kind of music. If you're repeating the same pattern there should be some kind of small fill at least every 4 bars to keep it interesting.

18. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Totally agreed man! Gotta work more on the overall beat I feel, to make it less predictable overall. How did you do this month with Opeth dude?

19. axxessdenied

I finally got around to tinkering with it the last couple of days. Thoroughly enjoying mixing it. It's just such a LOOONG song lol. Mainly fine tuning the cymbals on the drums to get them sounding how I want. All the elements are really well recorded so it doesn't take much work to get everything balancing nicely. The guitar tracks are so damn tasty ugh lol

20. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

I know right? The tracks were insane! Unfortunately I didn't have to much time to mix it, did a reasonably simple and quick mix. But no automation at all for example, something the song needs imo. Although I did see someone making the polls without plugins! Which is cool!