The WIP Thread

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by axxessdenied, Apr 26, 2013.

1. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

@stevexc I think if you do some surgical EQ on the cymbals / overheads on the drums it will sounds a lot better. there's a lot of nasty resonant frequencies on the top end of the drums.

2. axxessdenied

@Descent I'd probably bring the guitars down a bit and focus on not having the vox clip. other than that it has a pretty cool old school vibe \m/

Descent likes this.
  3. axxessdenied

@Stijnson I would work on the drums some more on the orchids track. They don't really have any punch to them. Snare sounds like a good start but the kick is very weak. Neither the bass nor the kick are filling in much of the low end so I would make that decision of what you want to sit lower.

4. axxessdenied

Let's keep this thread going.

Just messing around with some stuff and ended up with a neat chill jazzy thing lol. didn't really mix it much just threw on Waves IMPusher on the 2-bus and some Slate FG-X for flavour / volume.

Superior Drummer 3
    EZKeys
    Trilian for bass
    Omnisphere and EastWest for a couple extra layers.

https://clyp.it/ovky23is

5. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Agreed, let's keep this thread alive!

@axxessdenied Orchids is by now an old track, but I will remix it sometime soon from scratch. I recently joined Nail the Mix and basically just been mixing songs from there and creating very little myself. But my mixes have gotten better I feel. So the track I posted is not a style I dabble in to often, and the mix needs some work, but it was fun nonetheless! Unfortunately I can't post any of the Nail the mix tracks though!

https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/stranger-things-main-theme-coverremix

I like your track man! Fun and fresh sounding! Mix wise I would say that the bass is muddying up the mix a little, and taking away from the clarity. It might also be clipping a little? And I think the drums might be slightly loud too. But sound great! Really enjoying the room sound! Good job!

6. dantejayg85

dantejayg85 Se7en

@JohnIce this is awesome! reminds me of music from a Sonic the hedgehog game the mix honestly sounds great to me post the finished song when youre done!

@Najka I like the riffs a lot, I'd say maybe add a bit of distortion on the bass and compress/bring it up in the mix a bit and some of the edits in the song could be cleaned up, you can hear that it's a punched in recording but other than that sounds good! - I'm digging your other songs too followed you on soundcloud as Point Grey Studio.

@theo I think the mix overall sounds good - maybe could raise the higher frequencies a bit but not really necessary sounds pretty solid to me....do they have any other material released this track is sweet.

Here's mine, I just finished the first mix this morning.
    Recorded using an Arbor As350, Squier Stagemaster 7 and Ibanez Sr305
    SSD4 for drums and Th3 Metal, POD Farm and a few free plugins in reaper
    The Rift

7. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

@dantejayg85 this is a solo release from me, almost have a full EP written now.

@Stijnson I feel like your low end and subs are a little loose, maybe experiment with some cuts or multiband compression to tame them and tighten things up more?

@axxessdenied that's pretty cool, the only thing I'm finding is that the subs in your bass are pretty loud relatively speaking to the other elements in your mix.

I came up with a fun halloween intro for a podcast I occasionally partake in:
    https://soundcloud.com/theo-goslett/justus-pod-halloween-intro

dantejayg85 likes this.
  8. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

@dantejayg85 Like the song man, good stuff. Mix wise the drums are very low in the mix, and the guitars as a result very loud. I like the tone of the drums though, but feel they need to be more present in the mix and have more punch. Guitars are very dark sounding, and could use some more bite. But cool stuff nonetheless.

@theo Awesome stuff man, really had a creepy vibe to it. The storm sounding heavy guitars that come in are a little loud though, i feel they could be more in support of the track, rather then that loud. But that's just a taste thing!

So to keep the thread going:
    I recently noticed Nolly had some awesome stems on his soundcloud, and that the link still worked, so I mixed this the other day.
    https://soundcloud.com/stijn_bos/days-on-juno-colours-remix

9. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Thanks for the feedback @Stijnson

Listening to your days on juno mix. I feel like the guitars are a little weak (mainly in the strummier sections), aside from that everything sounds really really nice. Maybe try some saturation or careful compression on your guitar bus to make them pop a little more?

Do you have a link to the files? I'd like to have a crack at mixing this too!

10. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

11. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 ..working on my mix Contributor

@Najka Sounds good man. I have to assume you are a Periphery (Haunted Shores) fan based on that title. I agree that it is kinda repetitive. Could probably benefit from a clean guitar section, or a super heavy part with a bass drop just to give some contrast.

@theo Very creepy vibes on that, I like it. Sounds like it could be an interlude on a Rob Zombie album.

@dantejayg85 Nice atmosphere layers throughout this one. Guitars sound really cool. Early in the song the guitars really sound like Taproot -- like one of the later tracks off their Gift album.

Here's the first iteration of one I've been working on. I know my playing and drum programming aren't the greatest, but I really wanted to incorporate the main tapping riff into a song. Any feedback always appreciated!
    https://soundcloud.com/duffmusic/phase

dantejayg85 likes this.
  12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

13. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

@schwiz Appreciate it man!

@duffbeer33 Cool track, I would work a bit on the dynamics of the track though, the cleaner sections are almost louder than the distorted/dirtier parts. I would try to make it so that when the dirty guitars come in it's more in your face and powerful. And then calmer when back to cleaner sounds if you know what I mean. The bass has some slightly muddy low-mid frequencies that also cover some of the clarity of the mix, which in general could be a bit brighter too. Hope it helps!

duffbeer33 likes this.
  14. axxessdenied

Thought I would just revive this thread :)

I'm starting to mess around with weird vocals haha

https://clyp.it/43kdlkvr

15. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

axxessdenied that's pretty cool. I'd like to hear that snare come down a bit, to my ears it comes through the mix too much. I like where you're going with this though.

16. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

17. theo

theo Got Hype(machine)?

Hi Andrew74x, one of the rules of this thread is to provide feedback on 3 submissions before putting your own up :)

18. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

@axxessdenied reminds me of front242. Anything that brings me back to the 80's is all right with me haha!

19. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

20. Andrew74x

Andrew74x SS.org Regular

@dantejayg85 When I first listened my first thought was "this needs a cool intro". Get to work, lol.