The "VS" Thread (Having trouble choosing between two or three guitars? Post here!)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Abhimanyu, Apr 2, 2010.

1. 1

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  2. 1

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

As far as I know the differences are very minimal. Basically with the Omen you get different inlays and an arched top; the C-7 has a bevelled top and more simple dot inlays.
    I believe the Omen has a higher quality nut too.

2. BigHandy

BigHandy SS.org Regular

Hello!

It came recently in picture that if I want to buy a "budget" 8 stringer the Schecter C-8 Deluxe may would be a better option than the RG-8.

Some suggested in another thread, that it might be more worthy (for the same prize) than the RG-8, as the Schecter has 28" scale length and is a bit better "fabricated", stock construction and the hardware wise.

And also, that tho' it has "only" the Thin-C neck profile (and the the "Ultra Thin-C) it's very nice and easy to play, even compared to the RG-8's ultraconfy Wizard profile.

(I would swap it's pickups to better ones (like to a pair Nazgul/Sentient) after a while (if it worths it), so count that also in the picture.)

I know the -theoretical- benefits of the +1" scale length, but are the other mentioned advantages true, and would it be more suggested over the RG-8 in general?

Or should I just drop the whole "budget plan", and save and spare for some more delicate guitar?!

Thanks for the replies!

3. Djep

Djep SS.org Regular

Between Hybrid 8 28" and Hellraiser 7 26,5" it makes difference.
    More clarity, tighter...:shred:

If you can wait get better straight away.

4. Steve Naples

Steve Naples SS.org Regular

Any real difference between the UV70p and the RG7PCMLTD? Other than finish?
    I really like the 11 piece neck on the LTD, but the green dot Universe has always been nice too.

5. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Which bass should I get? I have no experience with them at all so I'm not familiar with what to look for but I planned on going with a 5-string since I play 7-strings in drop A.
    I just need something to lay down bass lines so I can start recording my own mixes and whatnot. I'd like to get by with a $400 range if possible. Let me know what you guys think.

$400 range
    Ibanez BTB405QM
    Ibanez SR305E
    Schecter Damien Elite 5
    Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
    Schecter Omen Extreme 5
    Yamaha TRBX305
    Yamaha RBX375

$500 range
    Ibanez SR405EQM
    Yamaha TRBX505

6. Alexex

Alexex SS.org Regular

Ey there guys lefty looking for a hard-tail guitar!
    Sadly due to my location and dexterity I have a hard time finding guitars, so I'll have to order online. If I could get some info on the following guitars or guidance on which to choose I would greatly appreciate it:
    Schecter Damien Platinum 6/7 , 790/850 euro
    ESP LTD mh-417 , 770 euro
    Schecter demon 6/7 , 540 euro
    Schecter omen extreme 6/7 , 540 euro
    Ibanez RG721FML-BIF, 760 euro
    Gibson Les Paul Faded T 2017 645 euro
    That's a lot of schecters!
    I'm into lead playing and the LTD really has my liking except the quality control.(fret/wiring)

7. Lindmann

Lindmann SS.org Rectangular

What I want (need) is an Evertune guitar.

I've already cooked it down two these 2 options:

A) ESP BW1
    http://www.espguitars.com/products/9330-bw-1-fm-et
    - Six stings (easy to play, limited range)
    - EMG 81/85 (love these pickups)
    - Cool body design
    - Boring Black color

B) ESP SH7
    http://www.espguitars.com/products/19152-sh-7-evertune?category_id=1968970-brian-welch
    - Seven strings (tougher to play?, more range)
    - Fishman Fluence (never tried em, but they promise flexibility)
    - Not black (=good)

I've nerver played a seven before, which makes it a tough decision.
    I bounce around a lot on stage and really benefit from an easy-to-play guitar.

I know I love the EMG Pickups, but maybe the Fishman are even more of my liking...? Or maybe not. Hmm...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

PRS SE277 (HH non semihollow)
    vs
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb Signature

I play modern Rock to every Metal Genre imaginable. I need an all-rounder. It needs to cover varying tunings between E-Standard and Drop B. I know i can make both scale lengths work for all tunings (currently my LP does so fine, although lacking clarity on the lower end of tunings).

I like the idea of a baritone.
    The finish of the Holcomb pleases me more
    The Holcomb feels like a better deal because of upgraded hardware (mostly pickups, the Alpha/Omega Set is close to 300€ alone)

Any input to make this decision easier?

9. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Right, here we go for a first post...

I've had a JP7 for a few years now and it's pretty good. However, I miss a decent floating trem and the pickup selector is in the wrong place (keep hitting it when strumming...). The low B is always getting snagged in the bridge so goes sharp as well. Niggling issues? Maybe, but it's these things that stop me really loving the guitar. It's major distiguishing point is the piezo - love it.

So... I've got about £1500 ($1700?) for a new 7. Do I go for an Ibby RG752AHM then do a piezo mod, or a Kiesel, or something else? Needs to be a floating trem; body needs to be pointy.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Unless you want to start using the 7th string in your band or for another project then I'd probably stick with the 6-string option.

11. domsch1988

I hate quoting myself, but another option popped up.
    If i add another 300 bucks to the PRS Holcomb, i can get a Ormsby Hype GTR. Any thoughts on build quality? And wether the 2" fan for 6 strings is playable for someone without fan experience :scratch:

So:
    PRS SE Holcomb
    vs
    Ormsby Hype GTR 6

I know specs are wildly different. Both offer things i want. I looking for the best build guitar for the money. Which is put together better, which has the better setup/finish OOB?

12. domsch1988

Prestige Ibaneze's are great. You won't be disappointet for the money. Though i'm not sure how easy a piezo mod would be :scratch:
    For 1700$ i wouldn't look at Kiesel. The QC and CR have gone a bit downhill lately. Plus, i don't think you can spec out even a basic 7 with piezo option for this money.
    So, for my money, Ibanez Prestige over Kiesel any day :yesway:

13. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Superb, mate - that was my gut feeling anyway. Plus the thought of shipping+taxes to the UK :ugh: was putting me off the Kiesel as well...

Right: time to feed the GAS meter.

^that is not a euphemism.

14. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Getting sick of all this metal lark so think I might get a lovely Tele, nothing too bank-breaking though. Would love some thoughts

I can either go for a high-end (relatively, I mean) Squier or a low-end MIM Fender

https://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_sq...htm?ref=search_rslt_thinline+squier+_346104_1

VS.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/fender_standard_telecaster_mn_lpb2011.htm

Any ideas? I think I'm leaning towards the Squier, apparently those WH humbuckers and the f-hole have some really unique tonal qualities. And I love the way it looks. I like the baby blue too, though! I have played the VM Tele Deluxe before and it played better than an American Fender they had in the shop, so I'm well rid of any preconceived snobbery.

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

MIJ Fenders are great value for money if you can find one to your tastes.

While I'm here, Musicman Axis vs Musicman Axis Super Sport vs Some sort of Wolfgang. (I'm after something to play metal on that doesn't have a 16" shreddy type fretboard radius)

16. domsch1988

Those two guitars are wildly different. Thinline HH or Classic SS Tele. In this case it's more of a decision for pickup configuration rather than Fender or squier :shrug: I'd go HH here because of versatility.
    If it's fender or squier, i'd go fender. Most fenders i've played have spoken more to me than squiers. Not sure why, but they just resonated better. Plus the resale value of a fender should be higher :yesway:

17. killer

killer SS.org Regular

You could try to find Rg2027x or Rg2127x (both models are with piezo). They are pretty rare but if you could find them they are safe bet.

18. Lindmann

Yeah. Might be a good idea since I haven't missed the seventh string yet.

On the other side...who knows...maybe I will start writing songs that make use of the seventh string as soon as I have one.
    The Head Sig seems to be the more versatile guitar (ext range, Fishman PUs) while the Weinman Sig is the safe bet.

But I've made up my mind. I will just order both and check those mo....ers out and returm one of them.
    Gonna be a tone, playability and looks shootout.
    Edit: okay...for the most part it will be: Which guitar looks meaner in my hands and will make my Biceps seem bigger.

19. Lindmann

Today I found out that the SH-7 release will be delayed until september.
    So I'm most likely gonna order the MH-1000ET instead.

It will be a BW1 VS MH-1000ET shootout then...

20. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Oh I'd love to... Not holding out much hope, though :(