The usual noob req:bridge pu for 7620( da7 today only)

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by mrvomit, Aug 6, 2018.

1. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Hallo ,need a little of avice .
    I 've purchased an Illuminator neck for my 7620 stock ( good deal about 68€) .I was gonna buy the bridge but someone snapped before me.
    On a second thought , though i always digged neck "petrucci Style " sounds , never liked so much bridge tones
    I'm actually a bassist , and use guitar to record /compose ,cant really do super shred stuff ,just some sweeps , and using riffs a bit older school /eu style , though trying to merge with new styles. That said :
    Taking in acount versatilty , what you would suggest to pair the Illu 7 neck with?

ALways REALLY liked Seymour duncan bridges sounds but completely ignorant about models,
    and it in doubt to pair 2 dfferent brands

- Dimarzio side:i found a pretty good deal on a d-sonic 7 ( about 65€) ,dunno about versatilty, just a did read about problems of HUM electrical noises and i use guitar in front of desktop.I wonder if its more than stock pickups , which are actually ok in that sense.

Then , i could purchase ( TODAY ONLY)a d-activator 7 for 98€ in a mixed order :
    i always thought it was aimed just to extreme kinds and i did read about his shrilly highs from some users here , i'm aiming at versatility
    Some idea i did not think about?TRyng not to spend tons of coins , but it should be my only guitar on my endless bass arsenal so i can bend a bit..LOL

2. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

I had an RG7621 with D-Activator and later Seymour Duncan Distortion SH-6 in the bridge. Can't say anything negative about either of them. Mixing 2 brands is absolutely no problem, just mixing active and passive is a bit tricky though.

After reading your description of your playing Style, both my suggestions would fit. You might also want to try a DiMarzio Blaze. It's in the Ibanez Universe and was used by bands like Hypocrisy or Scar Symmetry.

mrvomit likes this.
  3. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

***Cant log into the site with firefox updated , it labels aws insecure connection( opera browser says the same , but at least i can log***
    Thank you , actually that's already "too extreme" the music you pointed .
    And sounds of chords is sort of very low defined to my ears , i'm not found at all on all that honestly . I did not take in account that being older my "versatility" is not the newer one younsters consider.
    I mean from Pink Floys solos to "destrage" band ( taking a new band in account ) .
    Cant compose that new kind of trashy/ uberdjenty stuff ( wel a bit of djenty yes, but i have extremely commercial broad taste ) .
    Thank you for chiming in though!
    If nobody else has an idea or some consideration on the pu's/thought i asked , this evening i will pull the trigger in a whimp .

4. odibrom

odibrom .

If I'm yet on time to share in some thoughts...

If you want versatility, you should go for a pickup with less output, which means that it will distort the amp a little later. D-Sonic is a good option. I have 2, one is constant in a de-fretted guitar and the other was acquired with a another guitar I bought 2 years ago.

NEVER had any noise problem with any of them and the later has been jumping in and out quite often due to my tone quest. I liked it clear and defined tone, also capable of heavily distorted soundscapes. The guitars are both Ibanez, the fretless is basswood and the other is mahogany. It sounds great, though I'm moving away from DiMarzio and got into the personalized pickups by a local maker.

I found that the heavier the pickup is, meaning more output mostly, the more string pull is has and that is a tone killer as well as a one trick pony. I mean, if its dirty tones all the times, they smash, but if one needs a bit more variety, they won't get there as a full humbucker pickup. They are way too compressed sounding, imo.

If possible, try to find an Alnico powered pickup. Fantastic clarity, specially on those dark neck places (mid neck, lower strings) where complex chords are a must, and with heavy distortion, they hold their ground pretty well, all notes ring out clearly and the chord shines through.

So, if these are your only options, D-Sonic all the way (blade facing the neck sounds better imo), if not, search for the DiMarzio Paf 7s. Though I've never played with them, I've heard they do their job well on all areas.

On the other hand, you can also fit a neck pickup at the bridge position, so this may open new possibilities. Neck DA7s and Blazes are said to sound really good at the bridge position...

mrvomit likes this.
  5. Turgon

Turgon SS.org Regular

sorry, your musical taste wasn't as clear as now. I'd go for a Seymour Duncan SH-1 or SH-4 then...

mrvomit likes this.
  6. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Thanks for sharing thought.Paf is everywhere less expensive. i have an illuminator eck already ( but always liked the neck petrucci / liquifire sound so i guess thsi will be not far) .Rest of the kind post of odibrom i agree ( as i can share same thoughts on bass guitar side ) though honestly for a 7 string i would mind a little more than a Paf ( Paf7 are really cheap actually here,just dunno why i 'm not into them ) .Thank you for chiming in , it will be Duncan ( undecided one ) or D-sonic ( Ds7 if i take now is 60€ new which is not bad at all in a store , all the others d-sonic included in other stores is about 100€).

When i decide I will see if it's an improvement for those "new 7" i have it here like i did read .Oddly , on duncan side i have really no clue i have to scroll internet videos , thougj i believe are misleading a bit ( i did like the clarity of sh-5 in some video , which nobody reccomended)

odibrom likes this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

I was a DiMarzio guy for more than 10 years. About a year ago, I experimented a local pickup maker to see what could be done and how it could sound, mainly because I wanted white pickups and those are somehow hard to find here (at the end of Europe). I have now 3 pairs in my main guitars. I'm completely sold on AlNiCo 5 and medium wound pickups with a contemporary twist to them, the maker is ToneMate (facebook link).

If it's heavy drive you want, just kick the amp with a boost and you're there. I use my guitars directly into a Triaxis preamp and I don't need no boost for heavier tones. Also, whenever I'll go for rehearsals with different amps (rental studios by the hour), clarity and punch are still there.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Not using amps , only pod rack stuff or evetually sims.Using guitar only to compose and to enjoy playing an instrument which is not "mine" .
    Always like duncans from the metal guitarists i played with .
    I dunno how to explain , Duncans always more present .That aside..
    You know what , i checked the Fb link..it's NOT the first all those people that does custom stuff do not write prices , but above all , they don FOKKING write where they lie...i mean , the COUNTRY! LOL .

Price of ds7 now 58€ new , last piece there , i'm gonna trigger on it but still i will looking for -
    HOPE it will be a noticeable improvement on new 7 equipped ,though start to doubting it ^^ lets see

9. odibrom

odibrom .

Lol, we're in Portugal and he doesn't live of this. It's like a part-time hobby thing. Prices are below DiMarzios or Duncans new at shops. I was just making a bit of publicity for him, I'm not sure he does international builds.

... and most sims and emulators emulate how an amp behaves, so, same kind thinking and behavior.

10. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Oh yeah i see , i almost thought was brasilian..I'm italian so not that far actual .But i guess It's expensive to ship out of business thing ( shops charge from 10 to 20 bucks from even more far ,but private hobby people could have more troubles).

NICE COVERS on those pu's , i LOVE Custom Covers
    ( about sounds demos are in the light crunch guitars at max, so cant comment).

11. odibrom

odibrom .

I was just sharing my experience, I'm sure you can find someone in Italy who can make 7 string pickups for you. For custom order pickups these were quite cheap as they were below DiMarzio prices new.

At the moment I'm kind of not caring for the pickups' brand, only that if they sound as I expect them to sound. I wanted white 7 string pickups which are very hard to find in Portugal and then I thought on experimenting with different winding, wire and magnets. I had some interesting talks with the guy by phone (I live +-50kms away from him) and email and ordered a pair. The first pair was the harder because I wasn't sure how I'd like the tone. They went back within a few weeks for they had a small cosmetic defect (identified by the maker) and he wanted to redo one of the coils, so I asked a little more wounds on that particular coil and on another in the other pickup. These pickups came to be fantastic, so I ordered another pair with a different twist, different wires on each pickup's coils. Fantastic, truly inspiring, which made me order a 3rd pair with another twist, besides different wires on inner coils, I also had scatter wound on inner coils. I have completely forgot about DiMarzios and Blaze Neck and Custom had been my staples tone wise. This to say that don't be afraid to look for custom stuff, you may be surprised by the quality/value you get. I'm sold on this guy and he'll make more pickups for me sooner or later whenever I'll need.

mrvomit likes this.
  12. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Interesting , about scattered I heard juston single coils MANY years ago , you wanted to reduce the brightness on inner coil to do a Warmer superstrat-like sound ?
    About Custom...On the 6er bass of mine i did spend more than 3k (€!)as it was ALL Custom save the hipshot tuners.. and ended stunning (one of the most beautiful aroud i ever see) but not sounding as i usual do , lol .My blame to design-order pickups ( cross on jazz and Musicman ) .

So it's not that i'm afraid , it's my ear that on guitar is not enough refined.So i have to rely on standard prdoduction,..In italy custom exist..but COSTLY as hell ( Mama Pickups ,TGD and others)
    Ordered the ds7 , but i feel someday a Duncan will be there more proper .

odibrom likes this.
  13. odibrom

odibrom .

The thing on hearing how pickups sound on the Web is that the guitar is not set up as we like, if the same guitar at all, different strings, different gear and so on... on the net, even with nice headphones, most pickups sound very similar under high gain...

14. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

ff course ,though some clarity you hear you could perceive ( not the "tone , that's for sure) , and i prefer to hear mixed +not mixed comparison to hear if they cut through..but mostly is to find pickup that i dislike to avoid them lol . Then ..your hand , picking style ,amps and the whole thing changes ALL the package in no time , completely different sound .
    I guess you can get a bit of pick attack and mix cutting assuming the rig is the same , rest is gear/hand dependant
    With bass is less difficult to my ear , but i have to listen to good musicians ( triplets slap , ghost notes capture , etc etc)

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I HATED the DActivator. Extremely bright, very compressed feeling... It DID sound a lot like an EMG, as advertised, but I don't like the 707 either. It was articulate under extremely heavy gain, but sounded bright and thin for everything else.

I don't know what you're into stylistically, if you could give me a few bands whose guitar sound you really like, that might help.

16. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

ended taking ds7 ,found deal on amazon for 57€ .thinking about wiring with mammuth or faston to attach detach so i can experiment with bar facing ( though i dunno if you have to reverse neck pu as you reverse bridge , for polarity )

odibrom likes this.
  17. odibrom

odibrom .

That is totally depending on how you'll configure the wiring scheme, specially if you're into getting the most options out of 2 passive pickups. If you only need neck, both and bridge allways in humbucking mode, there's no need for that.

18. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

i'm keeping the 5 way actually . I dig it 5 , EXCEPT the 3th position "all on" which i always found terrible sounding , but i did not figure out ( "found ") any other wiring that keeps other positions ( 1, 2 , 4 , 5) and changes just central "all on" position.Maybe it need a superswitch for that .
    ( i know what a petrucci switch is if you meant that with "3 positions" , but middle is central single coils, not all full .i Hate all full)
    Also gonna order a "no load " pot tone which i'm curious to try.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  19. odibrom

odibrom .

A superswitch is always a good option in my book. There are loads of options when combining 4 coils from 2 humbuckers. If you want hum-canceling with one coil from each pickup, you'll need alternate polarity from both pickups and in this scenario you can have inner or outer coils with hum canceling features.

Here are some options you can play with:
    • 1 coil only (not hum canceling)
    • 2 coil combos: inner or outer coils, series or parallel
    • 3 coil combos (not hum canceling): all series, all parallel, mixed parallel and series combinations
    • 4 coil combos (hum canceling): as above
    • In Phase (all of the above) and Out of Phase (not hum canceling).
    You don't need to have both pickups in position 3, in fact, with a superswitch you don't have to have a both pickups option at all. In 2 of my guitars I have
    1. Neck series
    2. Neck North single coil (neck coil)
    3. Inner coils series
    4. Bridge South single coil (bridge coil)
    5. Bridge series
    In other guitars I have almost all possibilities, including Out of Phase combos...

Other things to consider:
    • Inner coils series is somehow similar to a middle humbucker
    • Outer coils parallel might be similar to the Telecaster middle position
    • Hum noise is only a bad thing when you're not playing or can't choke un-played strings, specially if drive is engaged. (this is my experience)
    So, ask away if in doubt about a particular combo you may want to try. Also, there are switches and push/pull pots to augment possible combos...

20. mrvomit

mrvomit SS.org Regular

Pu delivered .( But holiday time so i will have to wait to let it mounted) only thing they charge here a lot for a superswitch ( 40 for a switch ,true gold plated stuff ??damn they) .
    Interesting thing about push pull ;i would never add switches for the sake of simplicity (not against holes..my bass has plenty but guitar has to stay simpler ) .
    I will try the no load as i heard it can be interesting too ( adding brightness in 10 /no load ) position) .
    Like i said , anything that get something else in position 3 leaving rest the same would be fine ( like parallel bridge or external coils only)