The truth about Blackmachines?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Velokki, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Blue, wine

Benedetto is probably the right example to use here, as far as guitar company that makes super expensive guitars and then they're way more expensive when Mr Benedetto makes it himself.

A-Branger likes this.
  2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Let me try to explain it a little better.

We have to to separate the guitar from the collectibility aspect.

The b6 is reasonably priced. It’s a good guitar. Is it better then every other guitar in its price range? That’s debatable.

So the guitar aspect of it doesn’t interest me that much. For the same price I’m pretty sure I can get a guitar just as good from a builder that’s more suited to my current interests.

Now, the collectibility aspect of the guitar is cool. There’s a history behind it, there’s mojo whatever. But that aspect is tied to Doug. If I had extra money laying around I’d definitely pick one up. But I wouldn’t play it. The guitar itself doesn’t really matter in that scenario.

I don’t really disagree with people buying b6’s. If you like that style of guitar it’s great. But I think it’s a lie to say you aren’t doing it because the collectibility aspect isn’t helping with the marketing.

I think the prs private stock analogy isn’t that great. Past the first few years Paul never really built that many guitars. The brand value of the guitar is in the brand itself.

Blackmachine to me is a little different since it’s a single builder boutique which is a bit different in terms of what you are actually buying.

This is completely separate from whether the guitar is good or not.

All that being said I do admit that I have almost the completely opposite view when it comes to something like a dumble. I love almost every iteration of the dumble circuit and I couldn’t care less about the dumble hype.

3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

This is an interesting thing to me.

I only found out about BMs from being on this forum... the last 5 years or so......that being said, I think they're sick...the shape, the relative thickness compared to production guitars, the headstock, etc...but I know I'd hate it.

Over the last few years the preferred nut width for me is 1.625", or 1 5/8", which translates to 41mm, plus change...so I could order a B6 (at 43mm), try it out, marvel at what it's doing etc.....and eventually I know for a fact I'd move it on because my MIJ EVH fits me better.

I'm really sort of disappointed in this. Fuck and stuff

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

exactly my point.... no idea when Paul stopped having a hand on PRS builds, I jsut trow that example but you got the idea of it...... But yeah, just because Doug made it, it doesnt mean they are better than Feline, or that Feline's guitar are firewood compared to Doug or whatever.... it jsut means that people want to say "Doug built mine"..... from a personal POV, or from a collectors perspective, or from "I believe in mojo" and if they are happy to pay that premium, then cool for them.

but just because "Feline did it" it doesn mean they are crap or that "its not a real Blackmachine derp"..... would they be better? donno, you would have to get the two in front of you to compare them

5. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Umm... what? That's a really weird point. I mean, I'm buying one purely for the playing aspect of it. The only reason I'm interested enough to dish 3K for it, is because these instruments have great reputation as being very inspiring to play. As a songwriter, I want great tools that inspire me to play.

It does help that there's a brand behind it - I mean, if it was made by a one-man shop no one's heard about, it would be impossible to sell forward at a reasonable price, if I wanted to move it. If you mean this, then ok. But I don't really get it, if you wouldn't even play the guitar at alll!

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

But to be honest, I'm not sure B6s have that reputation. I'm not sure B2s really have that reputation either. Who has said that?

7. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I've read maybe a hundred posts, many even in this thread, that claim them to play extremely well, and many claim them be inspiring instruments. Go on, read 'em!

And I'm especially compelled by the design of these instruments. Enough to wanna buy one :)

Ziricote likes this.
  8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Literally one guy in this thread. Whether or not it's inspiring to you is in your head, not the guitar. I mean, I've owned one. It's good. But it was the 4th best guitar of the 5 guitars I owned at the time, for my personal preferences, so it went. A friend of mine thought it was the 2nd best, but you know, personal preferences.

A-Branger and Velokki like this.
  9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Other way around: would you claim that Doug has skills/know-how/whatever all other guitar manufacturers/luthiers don't? While I can accept fanboydom to a certain extent, this would be a ridiculous claim to make.

Dineley likes this.
  10. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

No.
    Green, Whiskey.

A-Branger likes this.
  11. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

Overall thoughts on BM, no guitar unless from the hand of Midas is worth that much (same for vintage); from the hands creator of the type or not no single makers name should be worth that; unless it's a Stradivarius and he's been dead for a couple centuries.

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Some one posted this b2 in Facebook.

24188326-FB2F-4F16-8692-D943325C48D0.jpeg

I totally get why ppl mad at skervesen now. I never really saw it before with the plain top bm’s

steinmetzify and Velokki like this.
  13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

That one's pretty awesome! But man, that stain is deep... that's like an Ibanez Premium degree of 2D quilt.

14. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Another Leah!

15. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Yeah, it's Leah, aight!

Unbelievably tasty guitars. The headless with the trem was also supremely awesome.

How in the world she affords those is beyond me :D

16. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Most likely sells drugs. (joking of coarse)

Velokki likes this.
  17. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Yeah, I told her that she must be a drug salesman or a contract killer, probably both.

noise in my mind likes this.
  18. Droptune666

Droptune666 SS.org Regular

Sugar daddy I’d say or wealthy family.

noise in my mind likes this.
  19. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Agreed. To me it looks like of Agile's "tribal" quilt stain jobs. Not a look I jive with at all, as it sucks all the dimension out of the figuring.

20. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I don't know what her personal relationship is with Doug but obviously being in a band with Pin, and those guys being very close with Doug and early adopters of the Blackmachine, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she's an endorsee and basically getting "friends and family" prices on the stuff. More power to both of them.

Miek and Ordacleaphobia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.