The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. narad

narad SS.org Regular

You'd still get the care of a true custom as far as strandberg goes -- it's the same guys as M2M.

But Padalka just takes things to another level in terms of attention to detail. The only con about Padalka is he doesn't like to change specs, which isn't as much of a con, but just something to know up front. I change specs on almost every order, but every order almost always seems to take 2-4 years and a lot of new stuff comes out and I buy other things and things change. The Padalka build for me was IIRC 3-4 months of wait and 3-4 months of build.

2. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Ahh that makes sense...that's the issue with builds that have either very long wait times or build times, you risk that new tech coming out, or even a new company/luthier that you all of a sudden want to change things.

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

For instance. And Skervesen, Abasi, Dark Matter, Kiesel...

4. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Man I wish Abasi would get actual products/photos etc on their website.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

if you want to see completed guitars go check out ikebe's website. they have like 10 abasis sittting around.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

This one's a beaut', at least, from this angle:

[​IMG]

7. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

That is nice, I still want to wait for some reviews once they get the production churning there seems to be some issues listed in the Abasi thread.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I'll point out one last thing with respect to Abasi guitars: in the Abasi thread we were told that these people in Japan wanted them so badly that they didn't care if they had QC issues. Now it doesn't even look like a good number of those, if any, people were the actual customers, but dealers.

9. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

To be fair *one* has sold! According to digimart listings anyway.

10. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Love the look of those abasi guitars. They're crazy expensive though.

That being said. My strandberg original 7 arrived and i was lucky. Got a pretty much perfect one. Fretwork is impeccable. Sustain for days. Everything is alligned correctly. Only one minor spot on the finish. Almost invisible.

The tuning wasnt the most stable. But i guess that can be attributed to the long road from Sweden. I'll wait a little before judging.

Im spoiled by my fender tele that just doesnt move. That thing came out of tune straight from the european depot of Fender.

I play music likes this.
  11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Your original would have come from Indonesia, so that may be a bit of a climate change depending where you are.

12. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

They're all set up and sent from Sweden IIRC. Or at least when buying from the European shop, my Plini sig did when I got it last year.

Don't worry, it may take a few days to settle down, but they're super stable. I play mine almost everyday and use the trem quite a bit and I only need to do some slight adjustments maybe once or twice a week. It just doesn't go out of tune, even less than my Tele!

13. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Indeed they are checked and set up in Sweden.

The action on mine came perfect out of the box though. And no dead spots whatsoever. I hope you're right. Nothing is worse to me than a guitar that often detunes. I have that problem on my PRS (year 2000) unfortunately. Need to check the keys

I must admit though, as it's my first seven string, i feel quite lost. I always fret my chords one string too high haha.

14. Malkav

Malkav Washing your dishes.

Not necessarily, there are a few different arrangements that can be made with strandberg, one of them is to have the guitars go to Sweden for final checks, the other is to have them sent direct from the factory.

When we imported them we chose the direct option because we are the agents for Cort so they just got sent with our normal shipments, which means they rolled off the factory line and were sent straight to us. All 7 (2 Korean progs, 5 Originals) of them were damn impressive, from a build quality perspective I cannot fault a single one, the only issues were that the high Es on the nuts of the two 7 strings we brought in weren't perfectly cut, it took our tech all of 5 minutes to rectify and the tops were average, not bad at all just not quite as wow as some of them you see shared around but also better than quite a few I've seen as well.

15. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

Caveat emptor: The QC I’ve seen on Korean/Indo Strandbergs have had inconsistent nut shaping and slotting (which is what one would expect from a brand that uses zero frets to mitigate nut height consistency) and, even on a Boden, the nut slotting relative to your preferred strung gauges will dictate the stability of the trem. This, combined with the inconsistent way the string locks can pull the strings out of the nut slots at odd angles, are variables to consider when setting up a new Boden and troubleshooting trem stability.

I always say: Expect every guitar to require setup and touch-ups, because they’re not thinking of you in-particular at the factory.

16. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

If so, then you would be good either way. The m2m's build quality is more than good enough, though at the current price, padalka would probably be more bang for buck. I literally went crazy on his build list and still came up short from a similar build with m2m's current prices.

Never tried the padalka doublecut headless, but the strandberg boden body shape is amazing. Comfortable in every single bloody position. If you order a conventional neck profile, ask for it to be thinner cus his standard conventional shape is too thick to do thumb fretting, which i need to do sometimes.

Also, just want to comment that strandberg's neck is stiff as hell. Legit had no warping issues which have plagued every single one of my guitars, living in humid Singapore.

17. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the info guys! One (or more) question:

For those actually signed up/planning on an M2M, what exactly are you getting that requires you go the M2M route instead of a CS? I think off the top of my head I could probably just get a CS but I want to see if what you guys say makes me realize there are features I'd definitely want that would require a M2M.

Also, was the newest newsletter from April? I've had issues with random contacts/emails being marked as spam, so just wanna check I don't miss out.

18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

8 string Varberg/HSS/trem/baritone hybrid is the current plan. Have some other thoughts as well, but that's where I am at the moment.

The only things that really require M2M are baritone hybrid, 9+ strings, 8+ string trems, most Varbergs, and non standard scale lengths.

19. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

oh thanks, part of me is curious about Varbergs but I have a feeling (and I've seen it said here) that Boden seems to be the superior shape.

20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I just prefer the look of it. And with an M2M the "why not" factor becomes very big.

I suppose the other thing with M2Ms is if you want exotic woods, which is fair but has resulted in some ugly/Kiesel-y ones. This was a bit of an issue, in my opinion, when the Washburn stuff was coming out. A lot of people who just wanted a Misha copy or a Tosin copy now had a desirable spot on the waitlist that they couldn't sell, and the guitar they wanted was available for a lot cheaper, so they panicked and went kind of silly with specs. So you see a lot of standard scale, bolt on Bodens from the 40s on where people just didn't know what to order, and essentially ended up paying way more for slightly different woods and colours.

Lorcan Ward and jco5055 like this.