The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

That's reassuring! However, it's often the case that due to the honeymoon syndrome i only start noticing the flaws playing the instrument for months. Sounds silly, i know, but still. Had this with my PRS, in my mind i was certain it was perfect. Once the initial rush calmed down i realised the thing couldn't stay in tune and had some fret issues. Then again, i was a lot younger :p

I also really hope i'm not one of the people who can't stand the Endure neck.

2. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Read their return policy! I think you might have up to 30 days to try it, but I'm not sure.

3. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Yeah 2 weeks, i'm so stoked. It's my first 7 string also.

I play music likes this.
  4. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

So I went and skimmed through all 148 pages, and I gotta ask: in you guys's opinion, is a M2M guitar still a great choice? Most of the issues seem to be from the "cheaper" (for Strandberg) models and not much recently about M2M guitars, seems the bulk of that was posts dated 2015 or earlier. Or would you guys recommend someone like Ormsby building a Strandberg copy instead?

5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Isn't the wait time like 2-3 years now? Probably why you don't hear too much about them anymore. They still get posted on their Instagram/Twitter from time to time.

6. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Well damn it can't hurt to sign up for the mailing list then

7. eugeneelgr

eugeneelgr SS.org Regular

Multiscale or straight scale? Neck through or bolt on?

If you chose the latter for both questions, and if you just want a headless design rather than THE strandberg designs, go for Padalka. The current M2M prices are crazy and Padalka's bolt-on joint is much better. Not to mention the overall build quality surpasses M2Ms.

8. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^^ Have owned M2M and Padalka. Currently have an M2M and Padalka on order / planned. Agree with this 100%.

9. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Would be the former for both haha

10. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I did send Padalka a question about if trem's would be an option on a neck thru/multiscale 7 Neptune or Saturn, if the answers yes it sounds like I may have to choose them over Strandberg.

11. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Longer - signed up in 2015 and I'm nowhere near getting a slot... I'm actually not that interested anymore, since a lot has happened on the guitar market and there's better options these days.

12. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Such as what? Padalka, Ormsby?

13. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

I got mine back in 2014 and I looked at prices for what would be equivalent spec now, and the general price has shot up like crazy.

I joined the waiting list around 2011, so I waited about 2.5 years from waiting, speccing, deposit to delivery.

I love my M2M, but would I do it again now? Probably not for the going M2M price.

14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I ordered my first M2M in September 2011 and received it early 2014. I ordered my second in January 2013 and the latest I know is that I'm 70 or spots behind guitars that are currently being made.

Unfortunately no one else really offers the exact cross section of what I want like M2M does.

15. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

I think they intentionally made the M2M price very high so that most people interested in a M2M order the "normal" custom shop guitars instead and M2M stays more for the very unconventional stuff that requires some extra planning by Ola himself, for example if you wanted a Strandberg with a 30" scale.

eugeneelgr likes this.
  16. narad

narad SS.org Regular

M2M precedes the creation of the US Washburn custom shop by a few years, which precedes the creation of the Swedish custom shop by a few years. The M2M stuff is now made in the same shop by the same people, and the custom shop prices are pretty much where the M2M prices are.

17. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

I was interested back when the Custom Shop (using the configurator as my judge) had a lot more options and likewise was more expensive, but only in the past couple of months they've gone to it being of US Origin (compared to Sweden I think?) and you're basically just picking colors and string numbers. Like even a neck thru isn't an option.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  18. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Holy shit man.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

The US custom shop is an additional shop. The configurator still offers all the Swedish custom shop options (neck thrus, etc.) and presumably is Swedish made.

jco5055 likes this.
  20. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Ah I had to do a search on the site to see it's currently not accepting new orders, but they even removed just the option to go to that page so I assumed it was gone.

Any opinion on that? I assume Padalka/Ormsby etc would still be a better bet because if I remember correctly you could easily make a $6000+ USD model just from the Custom Shop, and that's without the kind of care you get from a true custom.