The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. littleredguitars2

littleredguitars2 green canaries

yeah i really wish digimart was easier to navigate as someone that only speaks english. i tend to just type in "strandberg" and look at all the pretty pictures and it makes me a little sad haha.

i mean cmon.... i would buy this if i knew how haha

[​IMG]

https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop2/DS04170013/

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    ramses likes this.
  2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

You can't actually buy anything on Digimart, it's just a glorified search engine.

The actual shop's page is here: https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/pro/disp/1/541352

Ikebe doesn't ship outside Japan, so unfortunately you're out of luck anyway.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

the only way to buy off ikebe if you're based outside of japan is to use a proxy buying site like buyee iirc

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

it's got tele pickups. that's all that matters.
    andersons didn't use an ashtray three saddle until recently.
    screw vintage spec teles they are terrible.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

If you're chasing that sound, the saddles, and to a lesser extent the baseplate, are import contributors to classic tele sound. You ditch that, you might as well just put a tele bridge pickup in a Boden, and not release a whole model around it.

marcwormjim likes this.
  6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Who cares about how to buy from ikebe - the real question is why does a country with only 125 million people get all the cool instruments, whereas the US and EU are all trawling through japanese search engines? :lol: We need some of those sweet-ass guitars over here!

7. KnightBrolaire

it's clearly a conspiracy to keep the cool esps, schecters and strandbergs out of american hands

Hollowway likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

yes do that. ola should do both things.

hell i'll buy anything with tele pickups except an ashtray three saddle.

Hollowway likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

Conversely, I will buy nothing with tele pickups in them. I hate not being able to swap other options into that stupid tele rout very easily. At least with HH routs you can use appropriately sized pickup rings to put in humbucker, hp90s, or single coils.

10. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Because this is the only first world country where rock isn't completely dead in the mainstream :lol:

11. diagrammatiks

eh that depends on if you need a guitar with an option to put anything in there. I've already got 8 hum bucker guitars.

The tele ashtray let's me use the Anderson high output stacked tele bridge, the bkp piledrivers, the bkp cobras, the duncan hot rails tele. manlius has a 15k barn burner tele which is fantastic.

I've got nothing to put those right now because there are no good headless or multi scale tele options with the right routing. And I've already swapped most of these pickups in my old anderson tele so I know I like them. the plan is grab two salens. hopefully they are SSS routed so I can just do one with an Anderson TD-sinner-Td and another one with piledriver-sinner-piledriver

Also anderson does an entire life of stacked singles, singles, hum buckers, and p90s in that routing which I all like so no big deal for me.

12. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Sure you can buy from Ikebe!!

I asked them a quote several time, with shipping etc... :)

You have to buy it now!!! You MUST!

https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ec/pro/disp/1/541352

go Under "product inquiry" ;)

You're wlcome... haha

13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

LOL I didn't even know they had an English site. The Japanese shipping policy says they only ship within the country.

14. littleredguitars2

Haha ill keep that in mind. I just sold something so im waiting for money to arrive real soon!

15. littleredguitars2

double post. :x

so i'm really curious if i'd even want to go for this blue quilt j boden. its got quite a lot of factors turning me off. as much as i love the look of it, i can't overlook a few things

1. really unsure how i feel about basswood. especially since its solid . not chambered. havent used it in a very long time. definitely prefer the resonance and snap of the chambered swamp ash
    2. the maple top is a super thin veneer. not a legit top as a way to save money so its basically just a solid basswood guitar tonally.
    3. since it has rosewood, it'll probably be a pain to ship to me in the USA because of CITES. if they'd even do it. who knows.

so i dont know. i really want to get back into the strandberg game but i need it to be the right one. as far as production models go. i think i would be happy with a Prog or Fusion model but i think i want something a bit more special and unique. i'm curious to see how the new USA models will work out. if they'd be willing to get close to my spec then i'd consider it. unfortunately i'm super impatient and i'd almost rather hold my money until something from the custom shop (previous US or Sweden) pops up. unfortunately nothing at namm really grabbed me from what i can tell so all these companies like music zoo that are going to be acquiring some of those namm models probably wont do much for me. but we'll see.

ideally i'd like to get something with a Koa top. swamp ash body. ebony board. some kind of exotic dark neck. and a trem. but i guess i'm open minded.

16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

The J series is pretty diverse with regards to woods, and there are quite a lot of them out there. There might be something that suits you better. I think the only constant factors are the hardtail bridge and Lace pups. The main thing that turned me off them other than the price was actually the lack of option for a trem though.

17. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

There are some killer looking Boden J standards on digimart, I really nearly bought one. And then I saw basswood and not chambered and that was the reason they were so much cheaper than the other Boden Js, so that idea ended quickly. Makes me feel better knowing those are 1mm veneers, and not nice tops wasted on otherwise lame guitars.

18. littleredguitars2

I had a j boden that i got direct from the usa strandberg site. Had the swamp ash and was probably the best strandy ive owned. Unsure id feel the same towards one like the blue one

19. diagrammatiks

StevenC likes this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Straight scale, too.