The .strandberg* Thread

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Rook, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Riker_Maneuver

Riker_Maneuver SS.org Regular

Solved

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. lilstryer

lilstryer SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Full Gallery here : http://imgur.com/gallery/o6K0B

Most of you would know Yvette Young's playing and her beautiful strandberg. I saw this on her instastory and I knew I had to screenshot this! I wonder if I can do this on my strandberg....

3. Riker_Maneuver

I'm starting to think I got a $3000 lemon. First when I got it, it had a faulty volume potentiometer. Had that replaced under warranty and then I notice that the bridge pickup will hum/click/pop about 50% of the time when touched (not touching any other parts). I completely rewired it to make sure it wasn't a weak solder joint, tested it everywhere with a multimeter and it appears to be grounded everywhere but yet it still does this and only on the bridge pickup.

4. sezna

sezna undermotivated

have you contacted them? they're quick to replace.

5. Riker_Maneuver

Replace the guitar or the pickup? I did contact them originally about the volume pot for which they reimbursed me. I'll have to contact them to see if they'll send me a new pickup.

Here's another video: *note I've already verified it is not the phone or any external electronic device causing this problem. It is unique to the bridge pickup only.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Sunbro

hmm if the wiring is all correct/grounded, pots are new, then just swap out the pickup. Lace pickups are ridiculously quiet (I've run them without a noise gate at feedback inducing levels of gain and barely get a peep out of them).

7. Riker_Maneuver

Yeah that's what heard too. I've contacted support to send me a new pickup. I decided to swap out the push/pull for a new CTS 500k pot JUST to see if MAYBE it was the push/pull. Yep still same problem. Has to be a break in one of the wires in the pickup somewhere. I don't what it else it could be. I've tried 3 pots, 2 jacks, and have rewired it 3 times.

8. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

My two bodens that had laces had the bridge pickup doing the same thing as yours, man. Probably a wiring issue as they're not woired/colored the same way as standard laces.

9. Riker_Maneuver

I've wired it according to the Lace wiring schematic and they have confirmed everything looks right from pictures I've sent them. I don't know what about the wiring could be off unless there is a manufacturing error and the wires are colored incorrectly. I pulled the bridge pickup out to wipe it down with a dryer sheet as they suggested static may be a culprit. It didn't help. When I took the pickup out, the green (ground) wire was soldered to the underside of the magnet body. No idea if that is the correct wire for that or not though. Glad I'm not the only one that's had this problem. How did you rectify the issue with yours Thrashman?

ThePIGI King likes this.
  10. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So I'm on my 3rd Boden Os now and they all have had dead spots/wolf tones around the D-D#-E note on the G string 5-7th fret area and it's bugging me as the afected notes have sub 1 second sustain and go into harmonics/overtones instantly after the note is plucked (Yes, no matter the pickup height, string height, fret leveled, clean/distorted etc)

I have received two replacements already but since they keep having this problem and the fact that I can't be without my main guitar for the 2-3 weeks it takes every time I'm looking to see if there's any mods one can do? Like add mass to the body/neck? I've seen bass players add metal pieces to their headstocks, could that solve it for me?

11. lilstryer

lilstryer SS.org Regular

So sorry to hear that but your situation sounds very strange indeed. From my understanding, dead notes come from uneven frets and normally fret leveling solves it. Have you tried setting up the guitar or speaking to Lobo/Ed about this? It just sounds unlikely that 3 guitars have the exact same problem (Unless they have been sending you the same one back but you didn't realise).

12. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Dead spots happen when there are resonances at the same note as the one on the fretboard. All guitars have them but on most they fall between notes or are not prominent enough to be called dead spots. My understanding is that they can be caused by poorly mounted frets and resonances in the neck wood. Headless guitars should be less susceptible to them. I agree that it's strange that 3 guitars would have the same issue.

Have you considered if the room you are playing in has a huge dip in frequency response at 300-330 Hz? For example at home I have a pretty noticeable boost at around 120- 140 Hz which translates to boomy B, C and C# on the 6th string, 7-9th frets. Maybe a dip there could cause those notes to get cancelled or something.

13. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

Yeah, it just seems odd that 3 guitars in row have all had the same notes with the same issue. As laxu noted above, it's probably not the guitar, but some outside influence at this point. You've tried playing it through a different rig in a different location? See what happens in that case and report back, I'd be interested in hearing even if no one else is!

14. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

Hey guys,

yeah I have had all guitars checked for properly seated frets + given them all a proper fret level so that nothing is wonky.

I have also tested all guitars in at least 7 different locations on as many different rigs and it's the same everywhere which takes that aspect out of the equation. :shrug:

15. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

All guitars have a weak spot somewhere. Both my Strandbergs have that - shorter sustain in one spot on the G string (but not sub 1 second definately...). It has to do with the guitar weight and how it counter resonates with certain frequency causing it to fade. You can eliminate it by pressing the "headstock" against a wall :) The note should ring out normally, it's not a fix but it's proving a point of the guitar vibration. I've even emailed Ola with the info on this, he said they will investigate it, but honestly I don't know if anything can be done. I've had a Gibson Explorer PRO that I had to sell because of how crazy it vibrated with the open D string - it would hit the frets and buzz no matter how high the action was and how lightly you picked. Nothing helped.

16. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

17. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

Has anyone heard anything about the new 2017 lineup? Most of the guitars should be shipping soon

18. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Basically, the $1,000 guitars Ed and Ola were asking $2,000 for are now $2,500.

I say this as an owner of a discounted 2017 model with roasted maple neck and the new trem revision.

19. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I'm confused by this. Just meant I heard they are starting to ship out preorders. I was wondering if any members have gotten emails about finalizing their orders. I've been patiently awaiting the plini sig since January

20. Bigsby

Bigsby Nerd Contributor

sorry if this has been posted recently and i missed it but it looks like GC has the Boden Original 7 and 8 along with the Alex Machacek signature for preorder with an 8/08/17 ship date. really hoping to be able to try one of these in person