The state of online forums in general

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bostjan, Feb 2, 2018.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

For me, when bands moved their content from ultimate metal forums to facebook, they went from 10% content I care about, 20% I don't, and 70% shitposts, to 1% content I care about 2% I don't, and 97% shitposts. And there's no thread structure, so finding that 1% is not worth the effort. Is it just that there are more people on facebook? Does that make up for the loss of structure? I think that lowering the bar on the amount of effort necessary to access something just makes it that more often that it's abused. Either that, or no one cares about metal like they used to, or both.

I feel like such an old man now, pining for the good ole days when I could go talk about a band like Symphony X on a forum for people who were looking to do the same, and the forum moderation was 99% focused on eliminating spam and putting obvious trolls into time-out. Now it just seems like every topic is an echo chamber, the quantity of information is 100x more, but the quality of it is 1000x worse, and few people seem to actually care. Many others like me became disillusioned by the whole thing and just disappeared.

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

Dude, if you used to visit the official Symphony X forum, you're frickin spoiled. :lol: That was the best forum I've ever been on. People voiced differing opinions, supported them, yet never went at each others' throats. Off topic threads were full of thoughtful and interesting replies. Even at the time, there weren't many places like that.

3. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

This is the only actual forum I use and post somewhat regularly on. I don't even really remember how I found out about it. Other than that, the only other place I'll actually post on is Reddit, and that's mainly for video game stuff. I haven't had a Facebook for like five years now. I do use instagram but it's mostly for memes and guitar stuff lol

4. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I have two other forums that I frequent more than here. I'd say this is the most tame and most moderated of the three. However, the other two are classic video game forums where the average member is in their 30s or 40s.

What I really love about those sites is that they are self-moderated. Yes, there are mods on the site, but their main job is to remove the bots and approve members. The community takes care of itself and runs those off who aren't contributors.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

OP... Fuck em... :shrug: :hug:

6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

That's because users in there must be more homogenic in their opinions and beliefs about music than in average music related forums, it's a Symphony X forum after all, and group isn't that big... that's one of the reasons this site is so good, almost everyone here loves metal music and is a gearhead.

7. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

For me, it's more about being homogenous in the manner of discourse, than the opinions held. People don't actually mind differing opinions much, but if you have a different opinion AND you speak like another kind of person entirely, you trigger some kind of outsider rejection instinct. Maybe because that's how diseases used to spread, and people would die, up to a couple of centuries ago. If it is an evolutionary trait, it's completely useless online, so we should bear it in mind and purposefully not be dicks to people with different personalities.

8. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I've been banned from pretty much every forum and social media site out there, just for posting what I've found to be truth. This forum is the only one I still visit and I've never had any issues here at all. I have to give respect to the mods of this forum for keeping things productive without being overbearing. The community gets my respect too. Buncha cool people frequent this place!

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's a shame. Every interaction I've had with you here has been cool.

I think I got booted from another facebook group, but I have no idea why. It's no skin off my nose, I guess, since I rarely ever get on facebook.

Ernesto likes this.
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I likely would have gotten booted because I would have made the mistake of assuming the forum was about early 90's rock band from Milwaukee suburbs with the same name. ha!

11. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

There is a weird thing going on (not only in the US, mind you) where discussion is slowly getting frowned upon. I mean, there always used to be that nerdy kid with a small online forum that bans everyone who doesn't kiss his ass but this is getting out of hand. And it's spilling over into real life where people actively go out of their way to shut down events and people who disagree with them.

This is only tangentially related to guitar forums but we're in for a wild ride with all those silly new "hate speech" laws where no one actually defines what hate speech really is and why it should be banned. Jeff Kiesel will sue us all for hate speech one day, mark my words. :lol:

bostjan likes this.
  12. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

The law of average dictates that some of the congregates here demonstrate work ethic or intellectual accountability, but it doesn’t really come across outside Pondman’s threads. The MO of posting here seems to consist of grossly oversimplifying, misrepresenting, or complicating straightforward matters with assertions that cannot be challenged without posing great personal offense.

Like, I dreamt a cancer cure was discovered, and that Misha was selling it on this site without a dealer account.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I have never looked at a facebook fan page for anything other than times people directly link me to news posts, and even then I cringe as I click on it and get off of there ASAP. I have Facebook anxiety. I hate that goddam site. They're bleeding users like crazy here in the US, at least. Only 25s and under, but still! That's where people want to advertise, so I think the platform's going to even more steadily turn into dadland when it comes to band talk and 100% babies/wedding posts interspersed with raging misspelled right-wing ranting for everyone else. I swear Facebook has made me want to pretend I didn't attend the high school I did. No one that turned out remotely intelligent from my high school is still on there. Besides the one or two that use it to further their artistic career.

The way it's murdering the quality of online content, both news and videos, is just another reason to hate it.

bostjan likes this.
  14. Randy

Randy ROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOUROOMFORYOU Super Moderator

You've got a lot of edgy positions on the dynamics of this forum for a guy with "only 10 posts".

15. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I tend to be pretty blunt and some people just don't like their paradigms challenged. Sometimes I post things that appear way more serious in text than intended. I try to use emoji's to convey intent but even then, sometimes people will take them as sarcasm. A big part of it is that I prefer to assume the best of people and I default to seeing everyone as a friend at first. I generally expect people to assume that my only intention is helping, because that's just my nature but due to the amount of trolling and snarkiness online, I understand how people can be oversensitive sometimes.

Facebook is social cancer. I deleted my account a while back and my mental state has improved exponentially. They never stopped their emotional engineering experiment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/...-in-news-feed-experiment-stirring-outcry.html

The entire site is an emotional engineering experiment and was designed to be one from the get go. A lot of the people involved in developing it are coming out of the woodwork and warning people as to Zuck's intentions now.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/02...loyees-step-up-battle-against-tech-addiction/

When I quit the site, I lost contact with a lot of people that pretended to be friends. In hindsight, every single one of them was just using me to fix their crap. The friends that I have now, in meatspace, and real friends without a doubt!

bostjan likes this.
  16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

To be fair, I think I've disagreed with most of your posts that I've come across, but of course that's no reason to ban anyone. The whole point of a forum is to discuss, not to shut down discussion. If everyone agreed on everything, what would there be to discuss? :lol:

Ernesto and bostjan like this.
  17. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

A world where everyone agreed on everything would be a very boring world indeed!