The overseas knock-off market is savage...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Synesthesia, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I'm a pretty liberal guy, but it's things like this that make me support taking a hard line on Chinese trade. Their ripping off of IP is just so blatant. Stores that sell ripped off Apple stuff, that actually have an Apple logo on the front, guitars with logos of the company being copied, etc. And the fact that if you want to have tech built there, you literally have to give them access to all of info in that tech. I hate that aspect of their culture. (I hate the fact that we just invade and take over other countries stuff wholesale, too. But I'm trying to stay on topic. :lol:)

strangers, XPT707FX and Solodini like this.
  2. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

Are people actually surprised that a communist country doesn't respect intellectual property?

3. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

China is about as communist as the Koch brothers.

Veldar, StevenC, Edika and 5 others like this.
  4. Hollowway

:lol:

I would be interested in knowing what would happen if a Chinese company ripped off the IP of another Chinese company. Anyone know of any stories like that? I guess if the government is in cahoots with a big company, the smaller company CEO would meet an unfortunate accident?

5. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 Do not go Djently

The Chinese government is definitely in cahoots with some of the big companies. They're detaining Canadians and retrying Canadians who were already sentenced, but now they're getting sentenced to death. All because Canada is holding the Huawei CFO on a request of the US government. That's a different discussion though.

Veldar and AxeHappy like this.
  6. Hollowway

Oh, shoot, I forgot about that. As I said, I am a pretty liberal guy, but I can't say I'm in disagreement with this business about playing chicken with China and the trade wars. At some point, someone has to address this. I'd say it didn't matter much when they weren't an up and coming superpower, but it's getting to matter. It's like in school, if the kid will a D average is cheating, who cares. But if he's vying for valedictorian, people start to get pissed.

Solodini and erdiablo666 like this.
  7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Contributor

8. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

IP laws are bullshit anyways, "Oh you came up with a cool idea, well now no one is allowed to have that idea for the rest of your life + 80 years".

aesthyrian, vilk and I play music like this.
  9. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

I've seen plenty of Strandberg copies with Endurneck on AliExpress. It was bound to happen when Ola sent his production to China.

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

BUT IF U LET PEPOLE MAKE IT THEN NO WON WILL INVENT NETHING EVAR AGAIN AND HUMAN REVERSE EVOLVE IN2 DINOSOAR

Solodini likes this.
  11. CapinCripes

CapinCripes Trem Snob

Honestly I agree, human progress is entirely built on the backs of the people who came before us. As long as you arn't using somebody else's brand and representing it as something its not, I couldn't care less. In my case I would love for guitar shapes in general to become public domain. Example being ESP explorers. I want an esp explorer because I know they will build the damn thing right, gibson may have designed the shape over 50 years ago but you know as well as I do if ESP was still making explorers for the international market they would be doing it better. Gibson wouldn't be losing a sale because of the shape, they were losing a sale because of quality of execution. Instead gibson still doesn't have a sale and I still don't have an explorer. Honestly as long as what it is is properly represented I say let the market be the judge. If the price is too high or the quality too low people will go elsewhere, as the other alternative is the company not having a sale and the consumer not having a guitar and the economy not having the cash flow.

12. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

13. Dayn

Dayn silly person

That's copyright. It applies to the expression of ideas, not ideas themselves. It includes computer code, recordings of music, etc. You can't copyright an idea unless you've expressed it in some material form.

You're thinking of patents which protect novel inventions. The requirement is that it needs to be novel, and depending on the type and jurisdiction, that's usually up to 20 years. Much less for innovations.

I know it's cool to hate on intellectual property, but please at least try to understand it first.

strangers, Avedas, cwhitey2 and 5 others like this.
  14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If it didn't say that you've been around since 2011 I'd think this was your first time here? SSO is jampacked with geezers who think that Lars Ulrich deserves my life savings because I saw a kid download napster from across the street.

15. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Could have fooled me. I thought SSO was jampacked with kids that would rather throw up a weakass justification for not paying for any media.

16. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Except for 3/4 of the recording studio forum having plugin issues because the crack for SD3 they found isn't very good.

Veldar and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

What the hell does this even mean?

Every single person here would be pissed if they created something just to have shitty copies immediately available and being sold everywhere.

Many small US/EU/etc companies make little novel products or clothes (think a unique doggie vest, or some weird bicycle seat cushion or whatever) and get immediately undercut by identical looking cheap Chinese copies being sold through no-name vendors on amazon, eBay, etc.

Then people have the audacity to go to the real vendor to complain or looking for a refund because they didn’t know they were buying cheap crap.

Goddamn our education system needs to touch on the basics of how an economy works. This isn’t Disney browbeating some small animator, it’s an independent animator with original characters and stories not being able to afford suing to defend their own IP.

18. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Get a quote from my boy Devries. Most underrated luthier in the business IMO.

19. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

20. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Internal stuff is pretty different. I know for a fact the Chinese governement sentenced a lot of "gold farmers" to jail and reeducation... because they targeted the chinese gamer market.
    Meanwhile, those working the occidental market are left in peace because they are bringing cash into the country. (Or were, the market evolved significantly in the last 14 years)
    I translated that as a "fucking foreigners is ok" policy. they seem to be viewing all non chinese as opponents to be exploited. But don't dare to do the same to chinese people.

Won't happen, nobody would vote for right wing parties any longer.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Solodini, Hollowway and AxeHappy like this.