The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

alright so @Noisy Humbucker cleared up what the wires were (they were for going between pots or a bus) and that I don't need them. Guess I should get to installing the moderns then :D

patdavidmusic likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

got the moderns installed. The hf tilt seems like a waste of time in my baritone, so I'm probably going to a coil tap instead. So far I really don't like how spanky the bridge pickup sounds and find myself using the neck more.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Spanky?
    Did you go with ceramic or alnico in the bridge?
    Mine doesn't seem spanky at all I don't believe (7-string ceramic set)

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I didn't like the spanky sound the bridge provided either which is why I ended flipping the pickups so the alnico was in the bridge and the ceramic in the neck. If I could, I would just do a two alnico set. The alnico bridge sounded so much better while the HF Tilt did nothing for what I was looking for.

5. KnightBrolaire

It's not that spanky now that I've tweaked my amp a tiny bit and rolled off my tone knob. I guess I should have tweaked my settings before running my mouth :lol:

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  6. bnzboy

bnzboy Asian Dying

Last week I tried the moderns (Strandberg 7 Prog) and they are amazing. Sizzly, tight and most importantly palm-mutable unlike EMGs I have tried which I ended up never able to dial in the tone I like. I would love to try some Tosin set if possible.

LeviathanKiller and Albake21 like this.
  7. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I might be the only one who prefers it this way, but I popped the jumper on to make the the HF Tilt permanent and never looked back (still have a set in my 8). That crazy high-end whatever-you-call-it just doesn’t do it for me.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  8. Glades

Glades Down in the Everglades

Does anybody know what is the difference between the Core Classic 7 (Bridge) vs the Core Merrow 7 (Bridge)? Is the classic suited for Metal?

Also, what are the dimensions of these pickups? Will they fit in the shallow cavity of an Ibanez 752?

9. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I finally got the Tosin Abasi 8-string signature set installed in my RG2228, with a 5-way superswitch and coil tap. I hope to get a few quick DI clean recordings together to post in the next day or so.

A lot of the marketing buzz mentions them being responsive, articulate, and clear. I was sceptical. But as soon as I started playing... I was feeling tingles. I got goosebumps at how good it sounded. Not only how good it sounded, but how good they felt. Coming from my EMG 808Xs, it's almost like I was playing with latency this whole time. I can't believe how instantly they responded. Unfortunately that's not something that can be heard, only noticed when playing. But goddamn. I... I didn't know that was a thing. I never thought I had 'lag' in my signal when playing, but apparently, I do. Or, I did. Until now.

The single coil tone is insane: no wonder he says he prefers to play in that position. I'm not entirely blown away by the passive tone, though I don't really play the type of music that uses it too often. I need to adjust my tone to take advantage of it, I think. It's good, but not as good as the single coil and active humbucker voicings.

setsuna7 and gienek like this.
  10. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

You may have had an orgasm.

11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

When I tried the Abasi 8 string Fluences in an Abasi brand 8 string guitar I didn't feel any of that "quickness". Actually I still have no idea what feeling a pickup means. Is it because I've been playing with passive pups exclusively?

12. Dayn

Dayn silly person

What do you mean "may"? When I tried them out in store, he did explicitly say he'd close the door for privacy...

I honestly don't know how to describe it, other than it's like... like I was playing with latency with my old pickups. Like I was running through an interface into a DAW and hearing it 1ms later. Except I never thought that was a thing until trying these. Maybe it's because I come from active pickups. These are active pickups too, but they shit all over my 808Xs - and my 808Xs are still pretty good.

I've never experienced this before, but 'feeling' it seems to be more like removing layers between your fingers and your ears. Like when you play something, it instantly makes a noise, like an acoustic would. Like you have direct control over the sound. It sounds crazy, given we're dealing with electricity here, but I'm shocked at the difference.

13. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

You may have been electrocuted.

14. Dayn

Dayn silly person

I did a direct line-in test, no mixing, no volume, no effects, just a pure test... except the last track at the end: https://soundcloud.com/cyberneticsea/fishman-fluence-tosin-abasi-signature-sound-test

Following tracks are played 8 times, except the last one:
    • Beginning of Opeth's 'Hours of Wealth'.
    • High blues lick + ... umm, B-F-A#, whatever that chord is.
    • Simple descent and ascent from high to low E.
    • Intro to Animals As Leaders' 'Point to Point'.
    • It does djent.
    Only the last track has distortion, which I used for my EMG808Xs and haven't tweaked yet.

Each track goes:
    1. Bridge active humbucker
    2. Bridge passive humbucker
    3. Bridge + neck inner coils
    4. Bridge + neck active humbucker
    5. Bridge + neck passive humbucker
    6. Neck outer coil
    7. Neck active humbucker
    8. Neck passive humbucker
    Strings are at least a year old, without rust. Figured it'd be nice to have some easily-comparable clean signals without any effects whatsoever muddying the tone. Hopefully this is of some interest.

15. gienek

gienek SS.org Regular

@Dayn this is in my interest :) This DI is so quiet :D i dig it, especially inner coils and neck on active. But im still wont do the DAMAGE to my passive route in 2228A :0

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  16. KnightBrolaire

yeah I don't get the whole "clarity/quick response" thing. The 6 string moderns aren't any clearer/quicker than most of the passives I've tested. :shrug: I still dig em, but I don't think they're better than passives.

17. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Judging just from the videos I've seen (pretty debatable ), I think the "clarity" advertised is present mainly on clean stuff.
    On high gain territory I can't hear any difference from a regular passive.

18. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I know exactly what you mean @Dayn I felt the same way. Maybe not so much on the lag part as I've always thought my pickups were fast responding (and the fishmans are just as great), but the clarity just blew me away. I'm 100% a believer of these pickups now and will always recommend them to anyone. Unlike EMGs, they truly live up to the hype.

19. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I feel the lag thing. That part is super subtle though. A normal passive pickup does not have that much lag. If you are used to playing things into digital audio workstations, you kind of get a sense of what lag feels like. After you get used to picking it up when it's obvious, you can start picking it up when it's more subtle. Maybe I am imagining it, but I feel the immediacy of the fluence pickups. It's not a big deal though.

The clarity thing though - I don't how you could be in the room and not hear it. It sounds obvious to me. This is the thing that I don't think any other pickups on the market are beating - but it's not a need to have. A good passive pickup for you application is probably clear enough. An EMG81 is generally clearer still. How much clarity do you need?

I like them because they have these things and they also happen to be really good sounding pickups. That's not about the feel, and it's not the clarity that makes them good sounding (blackouts are very clear but I dislike them in a lot of guitars). All of the ones I have played just have a pleasing EQ curve to me.

20. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Oh thank goodness, I'm not delusional. Or if I am, we're all experiencing the same globe-spanning hallucination together.

If you're coming from a passive pickup, then I can't say, I have no experience. But I can say that coming from EMG 808Xs, which are honestly really good pickups, the clarity on distortion is incredible. If I play a simple triad high up on the neck, it's less like a combination of sounds with distortion, but more like each individual string has distortion and is then layered on top of each other with a little bit of blending. The separation between individual notes is really apparent compared to my 808Xs, which are muddy in comparison.

I'll have to fiddle with my patches, because they're still set up for 808Xs and aren't optimised yet, but it still sounds amazing. The only problem is that I thought I was done with my tone settings. Now I have to start again...

setsuna7 and Strobe like this.