The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Dude, you can spilt them coils. might wanna drill an xtra hole for a mini toggle to the split for your COW.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well I was actually checking out pictures of the Fluences, and yes, even the soapbar Modern 7's CAN be coil-tapped. Y

setsuna7, lewis and LeviathanKiller like this.
  3. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Hmm. That gives me slight pause on the Merrow set. Does the warmer top end carry over to the Voice 3/Single Coil tone on the Merrow set?

One of the things I fell in love with on the 6 string Classics is the "immediacy" the highs had. I usually boost some highs slightly with an EQ pedal before the amp when using passive buckers.

4. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

As an owner of the KM set, I feel that they have plenty of highs
    I wish I could tell you for certain that this carries over to the single coil but I don't have access to that voicing yet. I have a good feeling though that the high end doesn't roll off.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  5. patdavidmusic

patdavidmusic SS.org Regular

Hey lads,
    A quick new test showing the single coil tones from the Devin Fishman set,
    Here's the video

Or here's the wav
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cuQ8L5acBVTYMOZyGze5wciO8-43ceDQ

The three guitars in the shoot out is a MusicMan Cutlass, Schecter Keith Merrow MK2 and Sterling Valentine with the Devin set, can you pick which is which?

Kyle Jordan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

Threw a new set of strings on and dialed in such a great clean sound I had to put together a little video for the Devin Townsend set. This set, to me, is the totally underrated dark horse of the Fluence line

7. Humanoid

Humanoid SS.org Regular

The Modern set was clearly not for me. I'm used to DiMarzio Evolution kind of sound, and it has a sparkling upper mids but the sound is still chunky. With Modern set the highs were too crunchy, like there's always a tiny distortion there. I couldn't get it off. Passive mode helped a bit of course but then the output was too low. It would be nice to know if some other model is somewhere between the passive mode and active mode without the distortion in the higher frequencies.

8. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I ordered a Classic Open Core 7 string set (at L&M for any Canadians - they are taking orders now) and hoping it'll work for me. I do like the Modern set in my Aristides 070 but I think the classic set may be more for me, especially the new Open Cores with the singlecoil 3rd voicing. Figured I'll give it a shot in my new Kiesel HH7 when it arrives this month, or in a custom doublecut I should have by the end of the year.

I plan on picking up another set for my Carvin ST300 I think too. Just hate buying new pickups; why is it so hard to find used Classic sets (even the old ones) anywhere online?

9. congalocke

congalocke SS.org Regular

Love my Devin Townsend pickups!!! Gonna put in an order for a custom 7 string as soon as the DT 7's show. ;-)

Attached Files:

10. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Fan of the Moderns.

setsuna7 likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Moderns seem really sensitive to the guitar you put them in.

I put them in an Aria Pro II Flying V I have and they sound perfect. Tight and like an EMG set but better.

I put them in a PRS SE SVN as well, and it didn't sound right. Too dull, not enough high end, etc etc.

By comparison, the Classics I've tried aren't too picky about the guitar. They sound great no matter what guitar they're in.

Humanoid likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

[​IMG]
    I'm looking to finally install the set of moderns that I've had sitting around for 6 months, but I'm not sure what some of these wires are. I'm guessing the single wires attached to the quick connectors are jumpers, but the circled wires have no quick connectors... I don't see anything similar in the wiring diagrams either. I have no idea what the circled wires do.

13. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Could you take a closer picture of them? They look like they must be the voicing wires since that's all that is left for them to be. The weird part though is they are normally color coded with blue, green, orange, and yellow.

14. KnightBrolaire

they're not color coded, they're all black and white, which is why i was confused

15. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Weird. The set I installed recently didn't have any wires that looked like that. If they dont have connectors, are they just shielded cable? I know I had to provide my own shielded cable to install mine. I needed it to run in between the switch and volume knob, the volume and tone knobs, and the volume knob to the output jack.

16. Albake21

Well then they would have to be the Voice 2 wire and HF Tilt wire. It doesn't really matter which color you choose. If you aren't using the HF Tilt, then it really doesn't matter. You must have bought these second hand, correct?

17. KnightBrolaire

yep, got these used.
    I'm not sure what purpose they serve, since they lack the quick connectors.

18. Albake21

Well it looks like the quick connectors are already on the Fishmans, right? Take those off and solder the wires to those quick connectors.

19. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

Only the pickup side is quick connect. The other side has to be soldered. If you have a multimeter, you can use it to figure out which lead is which. The three pins on the left are just like an EMG, the power it and carry the signal. The ones on the right are for activating the HF tilt and voice switching. The diagrams they give are pretty decent, but I can sum it up by saying you just send the appropriate HF tilt / voice to the ground to activate it.

If you are replacing with a quick connect EMG, you can literally just swap the quick connect. The pickup will work, but you will not have any of the voice switch / HF tilt options available - that requires rewiring with the push / pulls.

20. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Red Handed Riff Raff

PM’d (or should I say “started a conversation”).