The Fishman Fluence Thread

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by patdavidmusic, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Well actually I kind of take it back. There isn't a voice 3, but there is a wire still for a "coil tap"

2. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

O RLY?
    * breathing intensifies *

3. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

If all else fails there’s always the EMG 707TWX-R (or the “regular” 707TW-R version). I’ve got the X in my single pickup DCM100 and I’m pretty happy with it, love the single coil tones from EMG (plus I already have Moderns in my 2228 and I’m OCD about having the same brand of pickups in any two guitars).

I can confirm that the Fishman Moderns have a solid split coil tone. I’m actually hesitant to try any of the signature Fishman pickups because I prefer the HF tilt to be engaged (most of the sig pups don’t have this feature).

4. Albake21

I'm debating on adding the HF tilt, it just makes it darker, correct?

5. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

I never really looked at it that way, but yeah. To me it just makes them sound more like normal pickups, the crisp high-end sparkle is somewhat unpleasant to my already damaged ears.

EDIT: That’s just me though, pretty sure that characteristic is what draws most people to them.

Albake21 likes this.
  6. LeviathanKiller

Pretty much. I have seen it mentioned that you can actually wire that up to a knob therefore giving you a HF blend.

7. frank falbo

frank falbo SS.org Regular

Yeah it’s basically the equivalent of cable loss on a passive pickup. So some people think their wireless or a buffer first thing on their board restores the true sound of their passives and makes them “brighter”, and that’s a good thing for them. For those people they usually won’t prefer the HF Tilt on. Those that like longer cables and rounder highs will like it on.

You’re correct that on some signature pickups, the tone is dialed in to exactly what the artist wanted. Someone like Keith Merrow does like that passive warmer top end, and so that’s part of the overall sound, which is arrived at by a combination of the magnetic field manipulation and the voicing circuitry working together.

But take the PAF Voice on the Classics for example, the stock setting is the ideal sound, with a short (or no) cable. The HF Tilt would be for people who like PAF’s into 15-20’ of cable.

Kyle Jordan and Strobe like this.
  8. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

I haven't been keeping up with Fishman as much as I probably should be, is there any sort of ETA on the commercial release for the Keith Merrow pickups?

I'm stuck right now trying to figure out which 8 string set works for me and I'm wanting to push off my decision until some people get around to purchasing the 8 string Merrows and give their comparative reviews on them.

I guess for right now, does anyone here have experience with both the Moderns and Abasis on 8 strings? I'm looking for a very versatile set (single coil/coil splitting) but with the ability to have that overly compressed and brickwalled sound of deathcore/beatdown in one of the voices. My gut is telling me the Moderns will be closer to what I'm looking for with regards to the compressed deathcore sound, but this video () seems to prove that the Abasis can do it just fine. (timestamp: 1:13)

Should I just go Abasi so I can get access to voice 3? That's the clean tone I'm looking for and I'm sure it would pair outstanding with lower gain tones as well. How do you guys feel the Merrow set would fall into my needs?

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Keith Merrows are still slated for the 16th, which is today. I guess it should be soon, hopefully.

10. LeviathanKiller

I have a good feeling that the Tosin Abasi set is more versatile. There's very little difference in voice 1 and 2 on the bridge for the Keith Merrow set

11. SnowfaLL

SnowfaLL SS.org Regular

I gave the Moderns a 2nd install in my Aristides and this time, so far I'm liking it much more.. I installed the HF Tilt on both this time, and the Low gain on the neck - seems to have solved a bit of the ice-pickiness with the neck pickup I've had before. My wiring is a mess though, fuck I hate soldering. The metal tones are pretty good though, just very metallic (81 like) but the neck rhythm and leads especially now are amazingly smooth. Think I like the neck pickup for rhythm more than the bridge! Jury is still out on the cleans, gotta do a few more hours of testing but I do think its above average, maybe in my top 5 now (Air norton, Liquifire, Duncan jazz, EMG SA) - I think the Fluences will live in the Aristides from now on.

I am still very curious on the new open core Classics... that voice 3 singlecoil tone mmm might really fix this Aristides for me. Although I might try it on my Carvin ST300 first, if I can find a set. I hate buying new pickups though, and the value you lose when you go to sell them =[

takotakumi and Strobe like this.
  12. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

In my opinion, they can ALL do it. The differences between each set are fairly subtle.

The modern ceramic voice 1 is essentially an EMG81. Alnico is a bit chunkier and warmer, but it's like turning the resonance/depth knob on your amp up a tiny bit and the presence down a tiny bit - not a huge deal.

If you want THAT clean tone, then just get the Abasi set.

The Merrow set is newer, but that doesn't mean it's better.

13. Albake21

Have you owned both a Modern and EMG 81? I played an 81 for a couple of years and just recently installed Moderns trying both a ceramic and alnico version and they are absolutely nothing like any EMG. Both feel and tone is night and day compared to an EMG 81. The Fishmans have way more note clarity and overall less muddy tone compared to EMGs.

14. Flappydoodle

Yes I have, but in different guitars. Can't say I've ever found the EMG81 to be muddy though (at least not the 6 string version). Bridge position in a Les Paul and it's like razor sharp, shitloads of attack and super tight bass - no mud whatsoever.

I'm sure I've even seen the Fishman reps on Youtube saying things like "your traditional active pickup tone", which obviously refers to EMG81.

That said, the guy I replied to is asking about the 8 string set, which I've never used (neither EMG nor any Fishmans). I should have mentioned that. Maybe an EMG is muddy down that low - I'm not sure.

15. Albake21

Well I will say that the higher the tuning, the better the 81 sounded. It sounded fantastic for standard/Drop D and even a half step down. Once I lowered more than that, it just sounded too muddy to my ears. I'd be curious to giving EMG another shot in the future though as they are pretty cheap and super easy to install.

16. Flappydoodle

I know we're all excited by Fishman being this new, exciting technology (and they are awesome) - but it's not like the EMG81 doesn't have a super long history of being used in all sorts of tunings, for many of the greatest metal recordings in history. In Flames play down to drop A, Machine Head, drop B, Trivium drop Ab. And I just realised - they all play Gibson, shorter scale length, tune-o-matic bridges along with the EMG81... maybe we're onto something!

lewis and Strobe like this.
  17. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

I’m learning!

patdavidmusic likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Machine head actually uses either 25.5'' or 27'' guitars.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I mean im more of the opinion that if you want a super huge, consistent live tone then EMGs are still great for low tuned metal.

its when you are talking about recordings and albums now where people start to get really particular about tones and needs.

For me, an EMG equipped live guitar (unless you want super dynamic tones) but other guitars with high end passives for studio, would be the best of both worlds. (WITHOUT upgrading to Fishman - otherwise their approach now would be the best approach)

Flappydoodle likes this.
  20. zilla

zilla Grand Poobah

I finally had some time last week to install a set of Moderns that have been sitting on my desk since February.

I used a super switch to allow me to get: Bridge, Bridge + neck split, Bridge + neck, bridge split + neck, and Neck.

I haven't had time to play much. they were replacing a set of EMG 81/85s. my biggest complaint about EMGS was the lack of ability to split the coils. I'm sure that these will sound amazing once I get a chance to play them.

One thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to drill the hole to run a wire the ground the bridge. I don't have a bit long enough at the moment and the routes are kind of awkward for me to get my drill in at the right angle.