The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Dark Wolf, Apr 17, 2007.

1. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Fingers crossed! I might go again to see if the mix is any better haha

2. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Still no official announcement from the band regarding last nights cancellation.

Attached Files:

JEngelking likes this.
  3. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

The drummer addressed it on his personal Facebook page. He's a young enough guy and it's his first time outside of the States by the sound of it. Seems that he's suffering from anxiety/stress.

Then this was from February 1st at the start of the tour.

4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

There's not much they can do when he's stressed to the point of throwing up.

I assume there are drugs that could relax him a bit but he's not a UK national and thus not part of our health care system so I'm also assuming it's a little harder for them to actually do anything on such a short time frame.

5. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Unless there's something seriously dark happening behind closed doors, I'd say this dude just isn't cut out for touring. My first tour was filled with much laughter and wisdom, and I'll always look back with fond memories. Obviously, I was anxious as shit, but that's what booze is for.

xCaptainx and Velokki like this.
  6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Never toured so I can't really comment, but while this sounds true; I think it's worth remembering that this is The Faceless.

From the sound of it, the guy is trying WAY too hard to present a positive image for the band to make up for all of the negative press. The pressure to perform for this guy is through the roof, not just as a drummer, but overall as a member of the band. Lets also not forget that The Faceless is Keene's baby. I'm pretty liberal with giving him the benefit of the doubt, but word around town for the last 10 years is that he's an extremely difficult guy to work with.
    Justin and Ken have been around the block and know what to expect and what they're getting into, but from the sound of it, this guy hasn't. It'd be a pretty tough way to get into that lifestyle, in my opinion.

7. Eptaceros

Agreed on all fronts. That's what I was kinda hinting at with the whole "something dark happening behind closed doors". If that's the case, I feel bad for the drummer.

8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Props to Keene for coming out about what was going on there. I don't think he necessarily owes it, but it's helpful to have. If it was opiates he's still got a long way to go before he's out of the dark. It seems like putting the live stuff on hiatus would have probably been a better route, but contractual obligations might play into it too.
    I feel bad for the drummer. The roll out of the new line up and album just didn't go well. I'm sure he's fucking amped to be in the Faceless, but at the same time, like 5-6 years too late to get the full benefit of the doubt. They've faltered enough that every single thing is getting extra scrutiny from the internet. They're having to balance using web shit to keep things on the up and up which invariably means they're going to "read the comments" and that seems to be taking its toll on top of whatever else might be going on. Might be able to handle touring fine but just need things to be in perfect running order, which is just not a reality for touring.

Ordacleaphobia and JimF like this.
  9. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

A little bit off-topic, but how does the vinyl master sounds like? More bass than cd version, I assume.

10. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Funnily enough I’ve not had chance to listen to it yet.

11. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

member when people would get MAD earlier itt when others said keene was a druggie?

pepperidge farm

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

It was pretty obvious from his behaviour and some musicians from the scene even confirmed it.

I got to see them last week. There was a lot of technical difficulties and the sound was awful but it was great to finally see them live after they had cancelled a gig here before. I got to meet the whole band after which was cool. Had a small chat with Keene, seemed like a cool guy. Justin McKinney is one of the nicest guys you could meet. Had a great chat about gear.

hmmmmmmm and JimF like this.
  13. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

It's absolutely not the same thing when people are levelling accusations about someone they don't know vs the person involved actually confirming it.

14. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

Pretty much the same experience I had then.

15. Eptaceros

People constantly asked questions like, "Why are things always going awry in The Faceless camp?" and many people came through with the legitimate answer (hard drugs), and yet all the fanboys didn't want to hear it. It's not "leveling accusations" when dozens of active touring musicians all say the same thing.

It's good to see Keene come clean. But in my firsthand experience dealing with heroin/opiate addicts, there is no coming back from the dark side. That shit turns you into a lying zombie.

hmmmmmmm likes this.
  16. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

So wanting hard evidence for a very serious accusation makes someone a fanboy? Come on now. It sucks that he turned out to actually be a drug addict but hopefully he can keep his shit together, opioid addiction is no fucking joke.

oracles, Ivars V and Seybsnilksz like this.
  17. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

Tons of touring musicians make claims and/or voice disdain, tons of band member changes, "hard evidence" of stealing from fans, alleged stealing from band members, canceling tours and shows for years, album delays, and other misc. drama stemming from one musician from a well-off family who has no job, marital, religious or child commitments.

really makes you think

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

hey can we please not start this shit again

thx

19. hmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmm SS.org Regular

All I'm saying is I personally can't support any musician who exhibits such egregiously sociopathic behavior, regardless of if drugs are involved or not. The sad thing is people like Keene can still make a good living because of people who put the artist above character.

This goes for any entertainer, but obviously this thread is about one band - and as expected the opinion is split. Defenders will bring up McKinney, and say Keene is brave and wish him well. Offenders (me) will say what I just said and that I have no sympathy for anyone who exhibits shit judgement and character. Society has no use for you no matter how "tech" or "epic" your music is.

Eptaceros likes this.
  20. jo5huaa

jo5huaa SS.org Regular

I just feel like getting your hopes up about this band is a sure shot for being let down again.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018