The Faceless Megathread ("Autotheism" available 08.14.12)

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by The Dark Wolf, Apr 17, 2007.

1. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Of all the footage I've seen, Ken seems a bit lost on stage. Looks he doesn't want to be there at all.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  2. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

The Faceless never put on a lively show, so I'm not sure what was expected. Those vids look par for the course.

3. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Geoff was great as a front man. Not lively is one thing. Bad is another.

4. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

I don't see anything offensively bad about Ken's stage presence, especially considering he has an instrument in every other band he's ever been in.

5. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Interesting Jackson Tele and some funny Michael Keene faces. :)

6. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I got the new album in the mail yesterday and after a couple of times of listening I really like it a lot!
    Great guitar work as always from Michael Keene. I like that he doesn't do the over-the-top-shredding that many other players in this style often do. To my taste there's too much of clean vocals on the album.
    Overall I like this album better than the previous release. If Planetary Duality is a 10, then I'd give this album an 8 or even 9.

7. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

At first I wasn't a fan because it was different and it isn't what I "wanted" and expected but after sitting with it, I honestly really like it a lot. I think every album they've released is different and happens to appeal to a slightly different audience. That being said The Spiraling Void is one of their best songs and is an absolute joy to play even if the album isn't as totally great as that song.

nyxzz likes this.
  8. sezna

sezna undermotivated

Is ken the vocalist?

Keene looks funky when playing live. Maybe it's just his mojo though.

9. zeropoint

zeropoint SS.org Regular

With regards to the clean vocals on the newest album, the wife asked me "Are you listening to the Tea Party?".

RIP

bloc likes this.
  10. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Can't wait to get my vinyl pre-order in the mail. I've had this on repeat since release date.

11. jo5huaa

jo5huaa SS.org Regular

He finally came clean! Holy shit.

12. Tech Wrath

Tech Wrath SS.org Regular

Woah, he's moving on.

13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

What a great interview, dig that the guy had the stones to ask the touchy questions.
    Fair play to Keene, everything he covered was pretty...honest. Is what it is. No more internet fights about it anymore, so that's a plus at least.

Here's to hoping he stays clean, that's a rough ditch to crawl out of.

14. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

Very good interview and props to Keene for being so open and honest. I laughed a little when he said that he may release a solo album, it seems like The Faceless is his solo project. Is there any part of The Faceless that he doesn't control 100%? It would be like Trent Reznor doing something solo.

TheDandy likes this.
  15. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Gig in Glasgow cancelled tonight.

Drummer has back problems and vomiting, currently in hospital.

Can't really fault them on that.

JimF likes this.
  16. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

I saw them on Saturday in Manchester, and also spoke to Justin briefly afterwards. I've mentioned in this thread how I probably prefer The Zenith Passage to The Faceless now, he was a genuinely nice guy, and was super humble and apologised for the technical issues they had.

Their playing seemed pretty damn perfect.

I had my doubts/apprehensions about Ken's stage presence and Keene's clean singing beforehand. Keene's cleans were as per the YouTube evidence suggests. Slightly disappointing but not unexpected. Ken's stage presence on the other hand was fantastic. He looked really comfortable. He performed well both physically and vocally, and was interesting to watch, not just wandering around swigging from a water bottle. I'd say his stage presence was way better than expected, and could not be faulted. At one point someone brought a beer up to the stage for Michael, and Ken took it and drank it himself!

I had also just received my vinyl pre-order that day, so was pretty stoked about the band at that time. I had tickets for them a few years ago when they cancelled the UK tour and had planned to see them in Glasgow tonight with friends who live locally (remember this fact! its key for later), but ended up going to the Manchester date as it was closer to me and didn't clash with work. So I was geared up to enjoy the show! I'd also had pizza and nachos before so was in a super good mood. As an aside: Keene now has gold pickups in his country & western Jackson Tele, so it looks less garish. A little bit less.

Now for the bad bits... I'm a big Faceless fan and always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt, and the new album grew on me. I was fanboy-ing slightly when Ken came out, and then I saw Michael wander on stage and thought "Hmm, don't they come out to an intro played on a backing track?", but no, this was a sound check. At 9pm. After the support band. This seemed odd to me, for a band as big as the Faceless. This wasn't a quick last minute check. This was drum-head by drum-head, Keene asking the sound man about his monitor levels over the mic etc. I put this down to time constraints perhaps, but whenever I played gigs (both sh*tty little pub/club function rooms and larger pro venue ones with a sound guy etc) you soundchecked before you opened the doors and let Joe Public come inside. This kinda ruined the magic a little for me, but I'm an adult, and last minute soundchecks and Keene dancing to the motown that was coming over the PA wasn't going to dampen my excitement.
    Keene went over to the bass player - I mean Macbook, and pressed a key. Ken was offstage and Justin was tuning up. Then out of nowhere, Keene played the Sons of Belial clean intro. "Oh, no intro backing track to this gig then..." I thought. The song sounded great. But I felt the band as a whole were quiet, and because I was front & centre, I was almost overpowered by the drums. I could have moved further back, but then I would have lost the good position I'd achieved as I was literally on the barrier.
    Their second song The Spiralling Void was marred by technical problems (the laptop wouldn't play the bass files) and they re-started perhaps 5 times. Ken made good conversation with the crowd, was funny, and joked "You've had one song, that's more than most people get!", which was amusing, but a little sour as I was super disappointed when they cancelled the Autotheism tour. They decided to play this song later in the set.
    Then they played the Autotheism trilogy in its near 20 minute entirety. Complete with samples, piano, etc etc. This was brilliant. Very enjoyable, but again, a bad mix sonically.
    I can't fully remember the rest of the set list, but I'm almost sure that they played Ancient Covenant, then Xenochrist, then The Spiralling Void, then said thanks and started packing up. I may have forgotten a track but it was a very short set. Then immediately Keene was winding up cables, powering down his laptop etc. It just seemed unprofessional. In his defense, he looked visibly annoyed at the laptop issues they were having, and these things happen.
    I drag my long suffering girlfriend along to these metal gigs. She barely tolerates metal but goes because she's stuck with me. And it gets her out of the house (and she got pizza and nachos too, don't forget!) but she commented that she could barely hear some bits, and that got me thinking perhaps I was hearing what I was expecting, because I was familiar with the songs. I then remembered I saw Batushka at this venue last month. Absolutely fantastic band. Sonically, quite similar - synth sections, screaming, clean guitar parts, clean vocals, blastbeats etc. However Batushka are an 8 man band with a 3 piece monk-chant section, and they sounded absolutely phenomenal. The tone, mix, and overall audio was identical to the record. Right down to the guitar tone. So its not like the sound system, accoustics or venue could be blamed for the poor sound quality.

Remember those Scottish friends of mine who were seeing them in Glasgow tonight? Well they turned up at the venue tonight to find the doors shut, and a small flier taped to the door stating "Tonight's gig is cancelled, see event page for more info". My friends were naturally very disappointed, and at which point they started speaking to a member/associate of the support band, who explained that The Faceless drummer Bryce was sick, had been throwing up on the plane from Dublin, and had never been out of the USA so had probably overdone it. At which point my friend voiced his disappointed using his best choice of 4 letter words, and a guy stood near the door turned round to see this after hearing. I wasn't there, but friend no.2 informed me it was clear friend no.1 was very disappointed at finding out tonight's gig wasn't going ahead. The figure at the door was Keene. He heard my friend, saw my friend, then turned and jogged away.

Not great really. I feel for them, as this is the second time this has happened. And Keene could have came over and apologised and make smalltalk with them and that would have completely won them over and made their night. It would have taken 2mins of his time. "Hey guys, really sorry about tonight, completely unavoidable. We'll be back though, here would you like a photo with me or something?", slightly egotistical, but it is Keene we're talking about! It just seems like a series of avoidable events that are making people lose interest in what was once their favourite band. Myself included. Yes, Keene is a human, and doesn't owe anyone anything. But it was a small act that would have totally turned the night around for the very people that have put him in the lucky position of being a professional musician (but that's a whole other discussion for a different thread).

TL;DR - I saw The Faceless on Saturday, Justin is a great guy and amazing guitarist (which we all knew), Ken was great on stage despite what earlier YouTube videos show, the bass player was a laptop, and Keene still can't nail the clean vocals live. The mix was poor, the set was short, but I came away having enjoyed it. They then cancelled tonight's gig in Glasgow with very little explanation.

17. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Yea I wasn't even going but I was disappointed, had a friend who's waited years to see them and missed all their gigs due to previous cancellations.

I believe it was the event staff that pulled it mainly, I know the guy who does it and I don't think he would want to leave anyone out of pocket, or out the loop but can't really do much when one guys on the hospital.

JimF likes this.
  18. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Keene actually did just this, my friend met him. Said he seemed obviously disappointed but was nice to talk to.

I gave the new album another spin there and I'm a bit more in to it after Keene looks to be making an effort and coming clean, it always just felt quite disingenuous to me before.

Razerjack, TheDandy and JimF like this.
  19. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

It’s a shame he couldn’t speak to my friends, disappoints all round but I guess it’s unavoidable. Must be hard for your friend who is the promoter. Tough call to make. For any band let alone The Faceless

cip 123 likes this.
  20. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

They're already looking at new dates but obviously nothing concrete. So it seems they'll be making amends.

JimF likes this.