The Eight String Pickup Guide

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Konfyouzd, Mar 28, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

2. Tachy

Tachy SS.org Regular

I have a schecter 8 string with the emg 808, it s not my fave from emg, but it does not suck at all imo.
    The 808 is the most common pick up you ll find in a 8 string, and for shure is affected by the quality of construction and woods of the guitar itself.
    Ther s a lot of crappy guitars that have the 808 in it.

3. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

So instead of spending the next week listening to samples of people playing through digital setups, I have to ask for a recommendation based on my setup.

I have an Orange Thunderverb 200 watt head, and the 8 string I'm nearly finished building is a 29.432" scale with a basswood body/maple top, a wenge neck w/maple laminated, and an ebony fb.

I know there'll be at least a couple people that want to argue about wood vs pickups but I'm not interested in that, please don't get into that discussion. I just want a recommendation for a few pickups to look at for this build. I like Gibsons standard pickups for the most part, so I'm thinking lower output and probably not ceramic magnets would be my main requirements.

4. KnightBrolaire

black dog. it's an alnico v mag and only runs around 9.5kohm. Plus it sounds awesome and is pretty versatile/clear sounding.

MerlinTKD and jwade like this.
  5. skeeballcore

skeeballcore SS.org Regular

6. KnightBrolaire

Yeah there really wasn't any good resources out there for 8 stringers other than simon sludge's clips (which showcase the metal side well). I wanted to show off more aspects of the pickups. Lundgrens are great for metal, especially if you want a tight low end. Just not the best clarity or versatility imo

7. skeeballcore

skeeballcore SS.org Regular

I’ve got an Rg2228 and it’s strictly for metal so versatility isn’t my aim. Now I just need to find an M8 for cheap

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

9. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Thoughts on Instrumental SFTY3?

10. KnightBrolaire

i hated the 808. quite dark on the low end,overall clarity was pretty bad. 808x or 81-8x are far better options for emg imo. bw are also darker on the low end but also have more output iirc. Both chug exceedingly well, bw will have slightly better clarity for extended chords. BW has a grindy midrange with a hint of snarl. BW neck is nice for solo work and cleans.
    I have clips of the 808x and the BW in my 8 string shootout.
    they're tight and mean sounding, relatively mid forward voicing. Good clarity across all the strings, solid cleans, can be a bit bright in the wrong guitar. Neck isn't super smooth and liquidy but performs well for sweeps/legato. Has a spanky split sound. They've been described as a bkp painkiller but more refined, and I would basically agree with that.

https://soundcloud.com/skwisgaar-sandervaal/sets/overload-rea-8-pickup-shootout

lurè likes this.
  11. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

I liked the bridge but the neck pickup was a bit too stiff for my tastes.
    I prefer a smoother pickup with just a bit of pick attack.

12. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

@KnightBrolaire Can you share where the EMG 808x samples are? I'm not seeing them on your Soundcloud or YouTube pages.

13. KnightBrolaire

Kyle Jordan likes this.