The Devin Townsend Supermegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by keithb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. ppinkham

ppinkham SS.org Regular

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Glad to see they're going to try to drop the price down a bit. It's a cool looking guitar but holy sh*t were they pricey. :ugh:

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I imagine with the price drop, it'll be the cheap, affordable price of $2500 - $3000+

:ugh:

4. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

At least that'd be cheaper that a freaking house downpayment. 10k for a signature guitar is absurd.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  5. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Man, whoever is trying to veto your choices is vetoing you as a person. Fuck them, and fuck anyone that tries to control a day that should be about both you and your spouse.

Seriously, walk down the aisle to Kingdom. Heaviest love song ever.

AxeHappy and drmosh like this.
  6. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

I really liked it as well.

Who else would you like to see collaborate?
    For me: DT and Les Claypool

brector likes this.
  7. ppinkham

ppinkham SS.org Regular

Oh my....

[youtubevid]

TheBloodstained likes this.
  8. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

Hell, it's been about time that this got bumped up again.

We all discussed Devin stuff in literally any other category, but this thread.

Also @topic: Since I've first seen the specs of that guitar and Devin describing it (probably 4 years ago) I've wanted one.

But holy hell, I don't have the 6000 bucks laying around, even though from all I hear that price is absolutely justified.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I wanna see the Pro series and import sig. I'm glad Framus is starting to do something similar to the Rockbass line.

10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I bet 4K+ custom shop, 2K5 pro and imports are next year and likely won't have evertune+fishman so they're out of my considerations.

11. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

From Devin's FB page about 25 minutes ago:

Hey guys, Devin here.

So after 8 years of touring with DTP, I've decided to take a break from this band and focus on a number of other projects I've been really wanting to do for some time now. The band have been there with me through thick and thin and we've shared some pretty great moments - I can’t say enough good things about them - And in the future, I'm sure we'll work again.

I have 4 new albums I am currently working on. I am currently in the finishing stages one of the grandest and most overwhelming projects that I have been fortunate to do. It's certainly my favourite DVD release of them all and is a powerful moment, if I can say so myself. Ocean Machine Live In Plovdiv (tentative name) Mixing the orchestras, choirs, the 'by-request' set and the full Ocean Machine album in that magnificent setting has been hugely rewarding. Seeing this spectacle come to life is a testament to this period of work and I can't wait for you to see and hear it.

Life is short and I have a lot I need to say in some new and different avenues. I will certainly continue to play live in several new ways (starting next year) and I'm excited about some collaborative things that have also come up as well.

I salute the band, the team, and the audience for allowing us to do what we have done and the patience to accommodate my persistent morphing. As someone who’s music is connected to his personal growth, I feel an obligation to follow this muse wherever it leads. To not do so would be in direct opposition to what it is I have fundamentally done for all these years.

Peace and respect,
    Devin Townsend

If you are interested in working with any of the guys in the DTP, they are working musicians. Please contact them below with requests:

Mike St-Jean:
    Lighting and visual design, Drums, Keyboards, session work: contact@mikestjean.com

Dave Young:
    for production, mixing, mastering:
    youngbrosproductions@gmail.com

Brian Waddell: https://www.facebook.com/Brian-Beav-Waddell-15130110422669…/

Ryan VanPoederooyen:
    Drumming Session work or live work, Teaching: ‘Hire Ryan’ section at www.rvpdrums.com

BlackMastodon and TedEH like this.
  12. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

From the sounds of it he was busy as all hell the last 4 or 5 years with constantly writing and touring so I don't blame him for wanting to take a break. Really curious where he goes next with his music. I don't fully understand why he's deciding to leave the band behind, especially since wrote almost exclusively until Transcendence, but I'm glad I got to see them several times during their 8 years of touring.

13. The Mirror

As a long time Devin fan, this is the best news of the day.

He made it clear for years now that the DTP wasn't what he wanted to do, but what he felt he should do to keep an income for everyone.

If he can get back to what he really wants we might just get something in the vein of CoC again. Not to forget his symphony.

For real. If everyone in the band is okay with this decision, this might just be the best thing that could happen to him and us as his listeners.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Gah. Symphony? Rock guys dabbling in trying to write a symphony (one of the most involved, longest forms of classical music; one in which you need to write tons of individual parts throughout while understanding how they all fit in the sound and what each is capable of) without years of training/practice sounds like the worst idea possible. That's kind of like if Ed Sheeran was contemplating releasing an album with a 60 minute djent song that he guitar solos over the whole time.

CoC was cool. If he does different stuff, that's great. Just...if you mean he's mentioned writing a literal symphony for classical instruments, that's bound to end in tears. Haha. If he's just going to release a symphony-length piece, writes rough estimations of what he wants the orchestra to do, and then gets someone to come in and do orchestration over it, and then he calls it SYMPHONY OF CACOPHONY or some Devinish thing, then great, sounds awesome. I'm sure it would be much more interesting than Metallica's S&M.

AngstRiddenDreams and jonajon91 like this.
  15. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

This sounds like a good idea. I am a huge fan, but honestly, since Deconstruction/Ghost the only music from Devin that I have gotten into is Casualities of Cool, which is an absolutely stunning album. Epicloud, Z2 and Transcendence all feel somewhat stale and formulaic to me, so the thought of him going back to being completely creatively free again is exciting.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  16. The Mirror

You did not hear about his Cock and Vagina symphony he is writing for years now? From all he's saying it is a pure classical piece. No modern instruments. Probably more like an opera / weird musical and not a symphony, but Devy would be the last guy on earth to care about semantics.

Devy himself of course has no idea about classical instruments. He'll write it all down as he did with Decon and lets someone else transcribe it, of course.

Hell. If I get something like The Mighty Masturbator in a full blown orchestra, I am done for my life. (He'll just need the 10 million bucks.)

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/mgvzey/devin-townsend-and-the-dollar10-million-cock-symphony

But for real, I don't care at all what he is doing, as long as he is doing what he really wants to. That always worked out pretty great.

17. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's doing. He's probably gonna work with the people that helped him arrange the orchestra for Deconstruction. He's said himself he has zero theoretical training, he doesn't know how to write notation, the only way he could even get an orchestra to know what to play is if he hires people to help him do it right.

EDIT: then again, this is Devin, so who knows? Maybe for the past five years he's been intensely studying orchestration.

18. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I just realized that I will probably never hear Kingdom and Grace and Juular played live ever again. I didn't know that it was possible to feel this kind of loss over a song. God damn.

19. The Mirror

Why would that be? Devin didn't stop playing music. He just changed the way he creates music.

He will absolutely still play his staples live, as he always did. Hell, probably 50% of what the DTP played live were songs from the DTB and earlier times (Kingdom, Deadhead, anything from OM:B). It will be the same with his next project.

Also the DTP isn't over. It is on hiatus.

You make it sound like Devin is done, when he is just doing what he has been doing since the beginning. He creates a new environment to not feal deadlocked. The guy will put out 4 frickin records in the next two years. He is as far from over as someone can be.

20. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

I didn't make it sound like he'd retired, I indicated that I assumed he wouldn't be playing the old stuff much anymore. Try not to read to far into things yo.