The Devin Townsend Supermegathread!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by keithb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hawksmoor

Hawksmoor Wannabe Shredder

Dave Young, the other guitar player in DTP, has an endorsement with H&K, IIRC.

2. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

He is absolutely not the kind of guy to lie or be pretentious about his gear choice.

Since 2005 (?) he switched his endorsment from ESP over Peavey to Framus, never lying about what he liked and what he disliked.

Though from how he's talking right now Framus might be his final stop as those guys seem to build him everything that he wants.

3. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

And judging from the pricetag on that custom, he wants some expensive-ass stuff :lol:

4. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Finally got to see him this past Friday in Kansas City. Was kind of bummed he only played a 45 minute set, but that just means I'll have to catch him again some time.

Notable experience:

Before the show, I asked the guy standing next to me who he was there to see. He said Opeth. I said Devin. He says, "I ....ing hate Devin Townsend." Uh, okay? Why? "I ....ing hate Devin Townsend." Everyone around us got quiet and looked at this guy, he just crossed his arms and leaned on the barricade and didn't say another word. Allllllrighty then. So then during the show, Devin spots this guy... locks eyes with him. He comes over and starts playing right in front of him. I look over and the guy is standing there with his arms crossed, unimpressed, wants Devin to know he's not a fan, and now he's having a stare down with him. Devin holds his gaze for like five seconds then starts doing this little swaying dance with a big stupid grin on his face. I was laughing so damn hard.

5. xDarkCrisisx

xDarkCrisisx SS.org Regular

Devy would. :lol: I don't get that intentional "I hate your band and I'm going to show it" mentality some people have. I went to Metal Alliance a couple years ago and I wasn't a fan of Impending Doom, but the bassist was totally into the moment and I just had to respond. Ended up getting a cool picture out of it too.

Attached Files:

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

He didn't name his youtube series gearwhore for nothing, he'd fit right here on SSO :D

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Sounds like someone hates fun.

8. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

AxeHappy likes this.
  9. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Dev is coming to this cold place far away in the north in couple of weeks :bowdown: It's been seven years since my last time of seeing him, and I want it to be hot summer day like it was then :cheers:

10. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

No posts about his guest vocals on the new comeback kid release? For shame.

11. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

such a minor part, it's gotten the attention it warrants

12. Milchek

Milchek SS.org Regular

Thought I'd share a story here.

I've been a fan of Devin since his early SYL days in the 90s. Like probably many of you, Ocean Machine was one of my favorite CDs to listen to growing up. I've had the privilege to see him perform live only twice, and also attended one of his "A night with Devin Townsend" workshop/discussions here in Melbourne, back in 2014.

At the discussion I was able to ask him a question that might be pertinent to a lot of you here. I asked him, if he were a musician starting out in todays industry, how would he go about it? Obviously a lot has changed since his debut, we have Soundcloud, bandcamp, better home recording gear etc. His answer struck me a little odd and a little depressing, he replied, "I wouldn't, I'd probably be doing something else and I wouldn't get into music..."

I'm not sure if he just misunderstood the question or not, but it did sit odd with me. That is until I remembered that the Devin we see live, on Twitter, in videos, is "performer" Devin. The real Devin Townsend is a little more insecure and reserved. In his own words, earlier in the night he mentioned that he struggles sometimes doing these sorts of things (clinics/promos) that it doesn't feel natural to him to have real conversations with a group of 100 or 200 people and it was all a little strange to him. He also admitted that his best work musically is well behind him, and that he's really just "playing the same stuff."

It was oddly refreshing. I tend to agree, a lot of his most recent work is really derivative of his older "sound." I think the guy took so long to find his signature and since then it's just been more of the same in a lot of ways - which he again admitted himself.

Other than that he talked a little about his gear, about his tuning in open C and how it was just easier for him to get into. Lastly, there was a girl, probably about 15-16, who asked if she could come up on stage and jam with him, she segway into it nicely as he was previously talking about how awkward it felt to be up in front of this small group and getting ready to play a song or whatever. He allowed her up and they played Hyperdrive. I imagine it would've been a pretty cool moment for her, she nailed it (other than a few bum notes, but hey, tell me you wouldn't be nervous being in front of a crowd and playing with your hero), and everyone cheered.

Anyway, I'll always remember his answer, especially when I see all the projects he has in the pipeline and his continued efforts at churning out more albums, which as he himself put, are largely just the same stuff he wrote over 15 years ago.

BlackMastodon, TedEH and chopeth like this.
  13. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

It's a megathread, you'd think it would show up ;). I hope there's at least mention of the Sights and Sounds record and DT's awesome job on that record.

14. dax21

dax21 SS.org Regular

Just got a ticket to see his show this august. Pretty hype.

15. The Mirror

Yep, sounds absolutely like him. He regularly states that he does a lot of the things just to get him and his crew paid.

Especially in his biography he wrote, that he really doesn't like Meet&Greets, Clinics and pretty much metal music in general. If he could he would instantly drop the metal-act at once and start playing much calmer music in the veins of Casualties of Cool.
    However he knows, that that wouldn't get him, nor the guys around him payed, so he just continues with doing metal records.

That's just the way it is. I personally would love him to drop the metal-stuff. We've had HevyDevy for over 20 years now and I just loved CoC to death. But I know I am far from being the regular Devin fan. Hell, at his concerts there are always people who have never really heard about CoC (or strangely SYL for that).

Anyway. @topic: Anyone heard about that project from Åkerfeldt, that includes Devin and a bunch of lead-singers? http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/op...ith-devin-townsend-will-focus-on-lead-vocals/

16. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm just going to mention that the Ocean Machine, DT's signature pedal from Mooer, was released a bit ago, at a street price of around $300.

17. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

what better place to ask this question than here?
    i'm getting married. apparently, as the groom, i need entrance music.
    i cant have it being 'metal'. so perhaps something from ghost....OR anything that would fit the bill
    in your opinion, what would be a cool song for the groom to be introduced to that is done by devin and/or any other musicians associated with him? that includes Anneke, and several other guest musicians that have crossed paths with devin?

ideally id come down to Bad Horsie by Steve Vai...but that is getting vetoed for being 'too heavy' *rolls eyes.

getting married is stupid business if i cant be myself in it...

18. The Mirror

The Main Theme from "The Bridge" is festive, choral and as Devin as it gets. Might just be a bit too ostentatious, but that's for you to decide.

Well, or Ih-Ah, of course. I mean. Come on...

"I'm so in love with you
    ...how could I?
    Ever be untrue.
    Am I with you?
    With everything I do.
    God I love you.
    I love you..."

Pick the studio version for a bit more classic Rock-Band style, or the Iceland Acoustic version for dem extra feels.

TedEH likes this.
  19. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

we had "truth" play at our ceremony during the cake cutting :)
    Incidentally 10 years ago tomorrow, old old me

20. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Man, I'd be pushing back so hard about those kinds of things. It's your day as much as anyone else. I've always thought of getting married as being stupid business all around, but if you're gonna do it at all, you might as well do it your own way, otherwise, what's the point? To each their own, you may have very good reasons to just go with it, but that wouldn't fly with me. :lol:

But yeah, Ih-Ah is the obvious choice. Bunch of stuff on Ki could work maybe?

AxeHappy likes this.