The Contortionist Megathread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalJordan, Nov 2, 2008.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

In the industry, especially once your band starts to gain genuine traction, you start getting pressure from everyone, labels, management, fans, friends etc to be something that fits their vision. Most of these bands started out with a pure pursuit of their vision, but once it becomes a job, those pressures can be a lot easier to fall for. I will always respect a band that continues to chase what is important to them, ignoring the wishes of what everyone, even the fans, want to hear, because they haven't lost what made music special to them in the first place. This is 100% what The Contortionist are doing here, it's a risky and scary move because it's not what anyone expects from them, and they went for it anyways because that is what was important to them. That's a ballsy move.

Anquished, Velokki, lewis and 5 others like this.
  2. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

3. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

I can agree with that sentiment as a whole, although there's nothing wrong with 'labels' on things in a functional sense. I go to a restaurant I've never been to, I see a cheeseburger on the menu and while I've not had THEIR version before, the label gives me an approximation of what to expect, within reason.

It's not entirely far fetched people hear "a new The Contortionist album is on the way" and they have an approximation of what they're going to hear. Nothing wrong with being different but if things drift to far from what people are familiar with, right or wrong, you're going to get pushback. I will say, people shouldn't be SO surprised/disappointed from this particular band, as all of their albums have been pretty different from one to the next. It seems like that evolving sound is part of the brand now, for better or worse.

I like the new song, BTW.

4. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Haha I think you might have misunderstood, I meant labels as in record labels, there is often a ton of pressure from them to go in a certain direction, and they generally wouldn't be fans of a riskier move like this from the band.

5. Randy

Randy !ǝɯ ʇɐ ʞooן Super Moderator

I follow what you mean. I kinda thought using the same word would confuse the issue but couldn't come up with a better alternative.

Full agreement. I'm glad they're forging their own path. People can say what they want about their preferences from one sound to the next (Exoplanet selfishly still being my favorite) but I'd say it's hard to dispute their song writing has matured. Always excited to hear what's next.

6. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Ah I gotcha, but to be clear I see no issue with 'labels' (not record labels) and I don't think those necessarily cause undue pressure as any band that genuinely wants to express itself usually does so before 'labels' come into play, so a retroactive label won't really apply the kind of pressure I'm talking about.

Anyways, the album is sick, I'm stoked for everyone to hear it, and I think a lot of people who don't feel it clicks on first listen will really start to appreciate it as they listen more. As always, their albums are growers, and that's a great thing in my book.

Overtone and aesthyrian like this.
  7. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

I'll be honest, the only band that changed it's style that actually left me a bit bewildered was Linkin Park but I understood why they changed direction. I'm not in a band but I do play the guitar and my style of playing has changed so much over the years. Music has always been a bit of an emotional outlet for me personally and as you get older, circumbstances in life may change your perspective in many areas and this will naturally be reflected in your compositions as a musician. Following fads isn't being true to yourself and it's only when you make music that means something to you, that you can satisfy your desire to express yourself musically.

I'm a bit late to the party as far as The Contortionist is concerned but I've heard most of their albums and the progression seems to be for the better. This is just my own opinion since I find the harsh growling vocals with overly technical music to be getting a bit stale.

8. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

This album is going to be ridiculous. I'm so damn excited.

aesthyrian likes this.
  9. squids

squids .

just from the studio updates, it sounds like the rest of the songs will be more along the lines of what some of us are wanting.
    side note; what are some bands that emmulate that same sort of sound as Intrinsic? i know of a room colored charlatan but theyre more Exoplanet.

10. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

11. nyxzz

nyxzz SS.org Regular

So it turns out that sweet ass solo from the first studio update isn't even on the album...was a little disappointed there. I've listened to the album several times now and so far I'm a little underwhelmed, although there are some great parts. Title track is awesome. I'm going to continue to listen to it though, some of my favorite albums of all time had to grow on me, Exoplanet being one of them.

12. anomynous

anomynous SS.org Regular

Album is boring and repetitive. I guess there's always next time.

TheRileyOBrien and Kaura like this.
  13. ShadowsfeaR

ShadowsfeaR aka VigilSerus

Got the album in today, almost done listening through it. This is definitely going to be a new "fat chill" album for me, right next to Uneven Structure's Februus. The title track got me feelin something special.

elnyrb10 likes this.
  14. squids

squids .

well i like the title track. absolve has grown on me. otherwise pretty meh. still bought it. can replace Radiohead on my car cycle with this.
    Any chance jon carpenter wants to come back for the next album? Lol

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

So many djent bands have turned into ambient stoner vibed chill crap.
    This band used to be sick but this new stuff is way too relaxed. Bored me to death

TheRileyOBrien and Kaura like this.
  16. 7soundz

7soundz SS.org Regular

After listening to the album I think it is their best work from the standpoint of overall composition. Honestly I don't like bands being all technical for the sake of it and I agree with their viewpoint on using technicality when appropriate. Based on the overall concept of the album, the mood seems appropriate and I think its an album that puts you in a reflective/relaxed mood with a few moments that can be thrilling. The title track is by far the best and the first and last track is a very good opener and closer to the album. Overall, this one might be one of those albums you listen to for the first time like o_O....but then after a while you'll absolutely love it.:frantic:

17. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Glad I'm not only one who is disappointed in the new album. Well, I'm not glad that the album is disappointing but I was afraid that I was the lone wolf with a different opinion.

Had to even make my first meme ever. :lol:

[​IMG]

Seriously, I've been listening Exoplanet like 2-3 times a day as a whole for the past few weeks. I'll probably never get tired of that album.

18. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

Been waiting for it to "grow on me" for a dozen or so listens. Still waiting.

I am wearing one of my 3 Contortionist t-shirts as I type this. I'll give it more of a chance than I usually do with new albums. I'll be curious to see how it is received...I kind of understand what they are trying to do but I feel like they didn't succeed. Putting the pieces together from interviews it seems like they(the band) aren't all on the same page in terms of how happy they are with how this turned out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM
  19. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

This album is absolutely fantastic. Right now, I like it more than Language. Everything on this album sounds completely organic and appropriate.

Additionally, despite it being dark and deathly in theme, this album has the most “life” of all of their work to me. It’s just so vivid and progressive, especially in a more literary sense.

Overall, this album sounds the most complete and feels the most whole to me.

20. squids

squids .

God damnit, i realized that this riff (one of my all time favorites from them) https://www.instagram.com/p/BRO20j6BUc_/?hl=en
    made it onto godspeed in just a completely different way. for like two seconds. consider me disappointed