The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire schadenfreude

I'm honestly surprised they'd bother endorsing joss in the first place, but then again they gave stevie t an endorsement so I guess it's not weird for them to endorse a youtuber :lol:

LeviathanKiller and Albake21 like this.
  2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

But at least Stevie T makes comedy videos where it doesn't matter (most of the time) what gear he uses. Joss on the hand is a gear reviewer, what the hell did they think was going to happen?

3. KnightBrolaire

I guess the discounts weren't good enough to stick with them :lol:

4. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

If Joss hadn’t returned the guitars, Jeff just would have made a video in front of an American flag and a cardboard cutout of Holdsworth saying “As some of you may have read, we recently had some guitars STOLEN by a YouTuber. If you want to support Kiesel Guitars Carvin Guitars to try and offset the damage this has caused our family business, right now is the time. No returns.”

Masoo2, Samark, Type_R3387 and 6 others like this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

:lol: :rofl:

6. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

How much thinner is the thinner neck profile option?
    Is from baseball bat to wizard type neck or just removes a couple of molecules on the surface ?

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's noticeably thinner, but not drastically so.

Enough so that I'd prefer the option, but not enough that I would go out of my way to avoid one without it.

But, it's been a number of years since I've tried them, might be different now.

lurè likes this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

iirc it's not a significant difference. I think it's only a few mms, and it's still the same overall shape (ie kind of wizard/d shaped).

lurè likes this.
  9. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

I've never played one, but I've been thinking of getting one. It's supposedly .030" thinner, or 0.762mm

Carvin Neck Dimensions (Regular vs. Thinner)

So, slight. But, it echos what Max says above. You'd probably have a preference, but probably not a deal breaker.

lurè likes this.
  10. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

I'm starting to dislike the branding style of Kiesel.

I've recently gotten a gorgeous Paul Reed Smith EG, in tip top shape with a beautiful top, I'm very excited. It wasn't $15,000, for what it's worth, but now that I have one I'm fanboying super hard over PRS and I'm slightly understanding the appeal of those crazy, master grade PRS's, which I find hilarious.

But I digress, the point is that I've been youtubing a lot of PRS stuff, and everytime I see Paul talk he's just such a clever and classy guy, eloquent and articlulate and genuine. It doesn't seem like he's trying to convince you of anything, it just seems like he's forwarding hard accrued information about his guitars, and you can see the love in his eyes as he holds one of them, like he himself can't even believe that his craft has been perfected to that degree.

And then, there's Jeff.

Am I, is this that woke thing you kids were going on about?

11. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Oh lawdy, do we ever see things differently, hahaha. Every Paul interview I've seen was just weird and awkward. He rambles, talks over interviewers, and sometimes sounds a bit condescending. His TED Talk was one of the cringiest ones I've ever seen.

To be fair, I chalk up his awkwardness to the fact that he's spent time perfecting his craft rather than his people skills. He doesn't need to be a people person, he needs to be a guitar person, haha.

Masoo2 likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

people are overrated, I'll take being around guitars anyday :lol:

13. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

I'm used to wizard type necks so I may go for the thinner profile.
    19mm to 20mm to me is a normal superstrat neck but at least they're not charging 200dollars for It.

AirForbes1 likes this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Are we talking about the same Paul reed smith.

He’s a hilariously rambling asshole.

Also a liar sometimes. But funny when he’s lying.

Jason B likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If you like thinner necks get the thinner. It’s a noticeable difference.

lurè likes this.
  16. Jason B

Jason B SS.org Regular

Eh. More like “fickle and fixated on boisterous men to base the value of your toys on.”

17. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I haven't seen many live interviews with Paul, and can only go off of the videos I've seen. Those were very scripted narrative, and edited. I'm sure they aren't all like that, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Conversely, Jeff does nearly-weekly live Q&A sessions with the public, plus frequent unplanned live factory walk-throughs. It comes across as, and is supposed to be, a different vibe for a different consumer of video content.

Paul is also a generation older. Jeff's around 40, and Paul's over 60. Not that it necessarily matters, but I'm sure there's *some* slowing down that "brain-to-mouth" highway, and maturity that comes with that, even if someone's a more "immature" 40 year old.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 12:58 PM
  18. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

I just want to have an opinion once where it's like, yeah that went over seamlessly, you know? Just an opinion that everyone's like 'oh yeah, that's a fair and valid opinion, I think most people would agree with it, I've nothing to say to the contrary'.

It's hard being this edgy. I guess you could say I'm on the seams of society, playing Chinese headless guitars and debating people about frivolous guitar semantics with just an absolutely horrible autocorrect that works particularly poorly in this forum, making me look even stupider than the combination of public education and a general lack of focus already do. Seems like Jeff Kiesel and I aren't so different after all.

Anyways, just looking at other guitar spokespeople in general, they all seem considerably LESS scripted and of a salesman than Jeff does, of whom seems like he repeats the same general things over and over again and gets proven wrong a lot. I've only seen a few videos with Paul, though, whereas I've probably dedicated a few hours listening to Jeff speak so I could be mistaken.

19. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

^ I think that's a fair and valid opinion. I can't speak for everyone else, but I've got nothing to say to the contrary.

Not patronizing. I actually mean it.

Hollowway, Solodini and tedtan like this.
  20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Beat me to it.

AirForbes1 likes this.