The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Two more:

• - Rosewood backplates and TRCs being discontinued

• - White Limba tops discontinued

Albake21 likes this.
  2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

That was super surprising to hear about the X220's. While I knew they weren't big sellers, I didn't think they were selling that poorly. For anyone who didn't see, Jeff gave us the numbers on X220 sales in 2018. Out of 2130 guitars sold so far in 2018, only two X220's have been sold. Pretty crazy.

3. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

in a video a couple months ago, if i remember right, he said he has to believe that a new model will sell 25 or 50 a year (I don't remember which) before it justifies the R&D to bring the model to market, and once it drops below 10, it's likely not going to stick around, especially if it has bespoke parts.

The one saving grace for the Bolt, which doesn't seem to sell in very-high numbers and uses a bespoke part for which they need to have at least 16 different versions of (the pickguard, for R&L handed, at least two bridge types, 4 materials and HSS and SSS) is the Carvin logo.

I'm positive that the only reason the Bolt is still badged a Carvin is to hold the trademark, so that nobody else can use it. in the US, you can't just register a name and squat on it. you have to "make a bonafide effort" to actually use the trademark to keep it. This is why even though I had a custom acoustic built with my own name and logo, I've never posted an image of the headstock on the offchance that one day i want to brand a guitar that I build with this logo...and I don't show it, because I know i won't be able to do anything with it in a year, which is i think how long you have after registering it actually try to do something with it.

And as long as they have at least one guitar with "Carvin" on it, I'm sure that's enough to keep it.

...although I think there's one last other model with "Carvin" on the headstock is the JB200C...ok, so maybe the Bolt isn't as safe as i thought when I started writing this. Ha!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

Well Chris told me that the Carvin logo will NEVER come off the JB200s, and the only two models that have that logo are the bolt and JB200, so they can hold the copyright even with the just the JB200 I think.

5. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

That's pretty insane. It also doesnt help that they increased the prices on pointies a couple years ago, which just makes it even harder to justify buying one when there are other guitars that they offer that are so much cheaper.