The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It gives Kiesel a bit of legitimacy from a certain crowd.

His PRS and EBMM models weren't really "special" either at the time. But they sold a bunch of them.

It is a risk though since he moves on pretty quickly.

Albake21 likes this.
  2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I do really like certain things about the Crescent:
    - The set-through construction and what it does for the neck heel
    - the direct mount pickups
    - the "less PRS-y" shape

Things I understand the appeal of, but aren't for me:
    - Thinner body (carved-top looks, thickness of the Aries/DC600, etc)
    - Lack of 22 fret option
    - The need for a top wood to cover the set-in neck (not required on the CT because the neck stops at the pickup route...but this is no longer a cross-shopping consideration since the solid, untopped, CT3 was retired)

Things I don't like about the Crescent
    - The flat area in the middle of the top...i feel like there would have been a better way to create the flexible flat area needed for all the different bridge types (evertune, trems, hipshot fixed, etc).
    - the flat areas on the body on each side of the neck on the 6-string models. This could actually go up in the previous category, because they are there so they can use the same body for different neck widths (production efficiencies), but my distaste for them is pronounced enough that it should go here.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just quoting this for posterity. :lol:

That’s literally my only real gripe.

4. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Do you really think a lot of Neil Zaza superfans are calling Jeff's guys to put in their their headless multi-scale 8 orders? Sure, saying they only market to once niche is a bit of hyperbole, but there's clearly an audience that modern Kiesel has been catering to. Which has been smart - it's a younger demographic that actually buys gear. But it's not that hard to understand why they'd be attracted to an artist like Johnny. He appeals to a different demo that also buys gear, and he's had signature models with bigger and more prestigious brands which helps give Kiesel more legitimacy. And based on the Kiesel business model, it's not like they're going to end up with a bunch of them sitting around if people don't order them.

5. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

No.... that's my point. Kiesel already has plenty of signature artists that do no cater towards that genre. Like it or not, Kiesel's main buyer are this "niche" market you say. With that said, they have more signatures catered towards other genres, so why add another genre that isn't their main market? I'm only trying to look at this from a business prospective.

Mark my words, not many of these will be sold.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

But those “other” signature guys are mostly legacy guys from the Carvin days with zero relevance today, that most people don’t even know or care are now with Kiesel. Country is actually a popular genre still as opposed to jazz and fusion. I don’t necessarily disagree with you about it not selling, but what if it doesn’t? It’s not like they spent a lot of r&d resources developing a new model.

7. spudmunkey

I believe Jeff mentioned that this was more in line with the type of signature models they see themselves offering up going forward: a custom variation of an existing model, like the NZ and JH, rather than a bespoke design (like Holdsworth, Bromberg, Jason Becker JB24 and JBPB). Then, if the signature model eclipses the standard to the point that it doesn't pay to keep the "pleb spec" standard model around (like the SH445 to the FG1, AC275 to the CC275, and the ST300 to the JB200C), then retire those as needed.

I wish they could have kept around the SB4000/5000/4001/5001 bases. It was a unique model that was getting a lot of press, showed up in the hands of players on TV shows and live events, etc...then Sekou Bunch left, and they killed (had to kill?) the model. I dig the JB a lot (more so than most "JB" style basses), but liked the SB more.

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  8. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

I wish the JB200SC was still around. That's still the carvin I wish I had.

9. spudmunkey

Yeah...I realize that times-a-wastin' on the two/three models I'm most interested, too (GH3 or Bolt and SH6)...they don't seem to be huge sellers, and could get the axe at any time. It's like the Sword of Damocles is hanging over their existance, and could get cut at any time. And...as much as it sucks...it would be my fault for not ordering one yet. :lol:

10. Albake21

Very true, very true.

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

i still want a zeus. I just can't decide if I go au natural and go straight black limba with an ebony board, or go obnoxious sparkle hmmm.... maybe if I wait a bit more that killer blue sparkle zeus I saw a while back will pop up.

12. Albake21

I want an aqua sparkle so damn badly, but Kiesel charges WAY too much for a sparkle finish.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  13. MatiasTolkki

Someone posted a sparkle aries for sale on the facebook Kiesel buy/sell/trade group yesterday

14. spudmunkey

I might say to hold off if you can. I remember hearing them mention that as they are getting more orders for them, and they are getting better at doing them, that they are thinking of lowering the price. I assume from $600 to something still high like $400, but...

They actually do the sparkle finishes in batches, so there's longer leadtime. I can imagine it's *QUITE* the pain to clean up. The couple of times they did them in the past, I remember them saying "Never again!" after doing that "Micharl Jackson" tribute JB200SC for Jason Becker ( https://www.guitarworld.com/.image/t_share/MTUwNjEyMjMzMTU2ODMwODgx/unknown_19_1jpeg.jpg ) because of the mess it makes in their factory, since they aren't able to really send a batch of 100 bodies through and then not have to do it again for a few months.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

i remember talking with max about just getting a bare bones zeus and then having marty bell make it sparkly. miiiight be slightly less than ordering a sparkle through kiesel.

16. Albake21

Are you talking about the purple one? If so, that one has that weird Disney/toyish looking silver to purple burst. Definitely not my taste.

17. MatiasTolkki

Nah i think it was a blue cali-burst or something.

18. Albake21

Really? Hmm I definitely didn't see it and I check that page daily lol.

19. MatiasTolkki

Oh my bad, it was a vader :/

20. Albake21

Ahh yeah I saw that one. Headless guitars just aren't for me.