The Carvin / Kiesel thread

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soliloquy, May 22, 2011.

1. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

Either way, Kiesel isn’t taking suggestions from this thread. Or this site. They wouldn’t even take the suggestion to fuck off until they were perma-banned; and had to settle for having two KieselBBS posters registered here at any given time to run counterintelligence.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I definitely didn't replace them with the Kiesel as I planned on keeping the Kiesel and Aristides, but in the end I got rid of both. As much as I loved the Mayones and Aristides, I just can't justify the price. They are phenomenal guitars (especially the Aristides) and definitely worth the money, but to me they weren't worth keeping. My problem is the ratio of quality to value. My Ibanez RG752 was bought for $700 used, while the quality isn't as good as the Mayones/Aristides (although honestly close), it sure as shit isn't even close to $2150 more in quality. And that's my problem with boutique guitars. You pay all this money but is it really worth it? I guess my point is, Kiesel's and especially Ibanez' are of fantastic quality especially for how much they go for. For now, I don't find a guitar over $2k worth it IMO. I don't care what guitar it is, the ratio of quality to how much it costs when comparing to cheaper brands is just too much and not worth it to me.

Just buy guitars that are high enough quality without breaking the bank, stop worrying about getting the best of the best, and just play guitar! Just my :2c: from my long journey of guitar searching.

3. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

This is why I have an RG550RFR ;) And I got an AWESOME one at that ;)

4. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Pussy Melter

It would seem many of the fine contributors to this site value NGD “likes” at over two thousand dollars per thread. That’s all a guitar is, anymore: A fucking Xbox Live trophy or avatar, desired because one corner of a messageboard decided it was the cat’s ass and a must-own-and-replace-pickups. Then they squeeze a second NGD dopamine hit out of the thing by making a separate thread for the prescribed, burnt-nickel meme pickups they had “their tech” slap in for the sake of making the guitar even less-remarkable.

The most recent Blackmachine thread seriously has the previous owner unironically saying “hope you enjoy it as much as I did.” THE ONLY THING WE KNOW ABOUT HOW YOU LIKED IT WAS THAT YOU RESOLD IT IN SHORT ORDER. If only every impressionable, djent-refied player who’s still convinced that “briefly own a Blackmachine” is a worthy inclusion in a bucketlist could just sell the same guitar to each other until it was out of everbody’s systems, I wouldn’t feel so bad for Doug or the people who did their part in turning his passion into a stressful job.

/rant

Kiesels are good guitars.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    stuz719, Edika, Vyn and 2 others like this.
  5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I kinda get the quick turn around thing. I've got cousins who buy and flip cars all the time. Granted, they are shit boxes, but they buy any car that they've had a slightest interest in owning as long as they can get a good price, and then turn it over. Sometimes within weeks. Sometimes it costs him some money, but it's his hobby and he doesn't rally drink or go to movies, so it balances out I guess.

A couple months ago, he admitted to spending more than he should have on a Pontiac Solstice coupe/targa (not the convertible) because he just wanted to have one, and then sold it a week and a half later at a loss because he hated the trunk, but liked everyting else about it.

He's also sold cars he really liked just because he didn't have the space for 4 cars and had to pick one to go on the chopping block. Seems like it could be a similar thing.

There's a guy on the Kiesel FB group that, every fewof months, will post an alert of a handfull of almost brand-new Kiesel guitars that he dropped off at the local Guitar Center...and he's cycled through several batches of new guitars, while ordering new ones. One of the last batches was like 3 V220 builds. He just likes buying them, then selling 'em...to GC for some reason I can't fathom except for maybe ease of the transaction.

Edika likes this.
  6. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Hell I'm appreciative of the market and general environment, I get a chance at buying a guitar for far less than it was new and try brands I wouldn't commit a full priced order to because of it. There's plenty of reasons why people flip and sell gear, it could turn out to not fit their hands well, nor sound like what they expected. In general you aren't making money flipping gear unless you're outright scamming other people, so I don't get the negativity towards that when it harms pretty much no one besides the original owner losing a couple hundred.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There's a difference between a good old fashioned gear-whore and a hype-flipper. Unfortunately, it's easy for folks to get the two confused.

The gear-whores buy and sell constantly because they can and just love guitars. They're not trying to make bank or even thier money back, just trying not to completely throw money away while moving on to greener pastures and new adventures.

The hype-flipper will post endlessly about a particular brand or model of guitar, build the hype and the mythos, then spam the crap out of the forums and listing sites, throw up huge, inflated prices and get thier buddies to do bogus offers and sales.

Edika and MatiasTolkki like this.
  8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yeah definintely the early Blackmachine blow up was ridiculous, I eventually got one of those B6's in a trade and was thoroughly unimpressed. Thankfully it sold for close to what I put into it trade wise so it wasn't a huge hit, but yeah serial flipping is definitely an issue.

9. Albake21

I'm just a gear whore...... oh my poor bank account hates me....

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  10. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

And I just can't resist linking the intro....

E: Apparently pasting an URL has changed, how to get rid of the automated [] [/], well whatever..

Albake21 likes this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Is Dev stoned as fuck?

12. MatiasTolkki

MatiasTolkki Burn In Agony

who is he?

13. spudmunkey

I just tried looking it up, but the posts in the FS/FT group look like they have been taken down once they were sold. The last batch had a light lavender V220, I think a surf green one, etc.

MatiasTolkki likes this.
  14. spudmunkey

I think I've gathered up all of the changes from this last month or so:

• - New JH6 model (basically, a package of options for the Solo)

• - New multiscale JB4 and JB5 (I'm actually really excited about this one)

• - Xcellerator bass is retired (Not surprised...never sold all that well)

• - 7-string Floyd Rose retired from the line up (the change to the LPM7 is not confirmed, though)

• - DC127-12 retired

• - CT3 variant of the CT line retired

• - CT7 retired

• - Price increase on some models

• - X220 retired

• - 6 string Floyd Rose removed as an option from CT, CS, and Solo (it was removed from the Vanquish too, but that was months ago)

• - SH7 retired (which makes sense if the CT7 was retired, and I don't know if I saw a single NGD post anywhere for an SH7...the SH6 doesn't sell very well either, so I'm worried about that one...that's one I'm considering for my next.) Discontinuing a model after 1 year isn't without precedent, though...they did it 28 years ago with the BC130.

Albake21 likes this.
  15. MaxOfMetal

Thanks!

I was too until I saw the scales, but it's nice to see some multi scale basses in general.

I'm surprised the CT is around at all considering the Crescent.

16. spudmunkey

Take the one guy out of the mix that I think has 5-6 from the Facebook Pics of the Day, and the Crescents seem to sell about on par with the CTs, which is impressive since the CTs only come in 6 and 7 string, and no extended or multiscale, no Hipshot fixed bridge, you can get a chambered Crescent with a sound hole without going to a thicker body (like the SH6 vs the CT).

17. Albake21

None of these changes are surprising to me besides the JH6. Not to sound like an asshole, but I'm pretty surprised he got his own signature. There are so many players out there that would make a lot more sense, business-wise, to have a signature of their own. I'm not trying to bash Johnny at all, I just don't see him being a good sell for the brand. Especially since it's just a package for a model that already doesn't sell that well.

18. MaxOfMetal

I'm sure the CT still has a huge following.

I just assumed it was an "out with the old, in with the new" kind of thing.

They're so similar, I'm sure as the Cresent evolves and becomes a "Kiesel classic" like the CT was to Carvin.

Aside from some minor gripes about the top carve, I still think it's the best shape Kiesel has going accross the various string counts and scales.

19. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

It makes perfect sense to me - unless they only want to ever focus on a single niche market, they probably need to associate themselves with players from other genres.

20. Albake21

You mean like Allan Holdsworth, Brian Bromberg, Frank Gambale, Chris Letchford, Craig Chaquico, Jason Becker, and Neil Zaza? All who aren't part of the "niche" market you are referring to. Which I'm going to assume you are talking about the heavy metal "djent" market?

MatiasTolkki likes this.