The Car Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bulb, Sep 21, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

What, in your opinion, would be the best overall track car aside from a Miata for under 30k total?

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

depends on what you mean by track.
    if you are getting started doing autocross or track-days...it's probably still a Miata since it doesn't have enough power to wtf kill you

actually thinking about it...it's just a Miata.

you could spend a little more and do a focus rs or a wrx sti but those cars will kill you in ways the Miata won't.

the focus/fiesta st can do track stuff. and so can a vw gti...

but the answer is still a Miata.

You can also get an e46 m3 for way under 30k now...but maintenance costs wise..it still loses to a newer Miata.

oh ya toyota 86/subaru brz series

xzacx likes this.
  3. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

Used Ariel Atom or KTM X-Bow? Lotus? C7? What a fun equation to solve :)

narad likes this.
  4. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Early C6 Corvette for 20k, then 10k worth of tires to smoke

5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Well, for those of you keeping up with it and giving advice (which was helpful and much appreciated) I'm now the proud owner of a 2002 focus zx5. 154k miles but it runs and drives great. Fluid levels were all fine, it looked clean under the hood, no obvious leaks (it was raining when I test drove it so I was able to easily check for any oil leaks underneath), interior is super clean and the tires are nearly new. Only con is that it looks like it's accumulated several shopping carts/car doors over the past 15 years. Lots of little dents n dings, but nothing that woulda been caused by a major accident. And plus it was only $1200, which was waaaaay below my budget. The cosmetic stuff doesn't bother me too much and it seems like the car was well taken care of otherwise. The guy I bought it from has owned it since 2005 and him n his wife were both very nice and he seemed like the kind of old head who really keeps up with the maintenance.

Either way, I couldn't be happier and I feel like I made a sound investment. It gets great gas mileage, it seems reliable, and it can haul all the gear/people I'd need it to.

6. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Double post

7. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Ha, that's nearly the same car I have, except mine is a few years older and has been driven a bit more. That one apparently has a bigger engine too. But the chassis is basically the same.

The rear end of my Focus started rattling a fair bit sometime ago, and my wife started telling me to take it to a workshop to have the exhaust fixed. But I googled first instead and managed to figure out that it was the boot rattling and not the exhaust. So I put some tape on the lock pin, and that insulated it enough to make it a lot more quiet. A more permanent fix would be to open the screws and align the lock mechanism properly, but I don't have the time right now. Anyway, FYI, this apparently is really common on the Focus MK1 models.

8. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

S2000, C5 Z06, regular C5, spec Miata, spec E30

The Corvettes are significantly faster than the other cars listed, very cheap for the performance level offered, and quite reliable when prepped properly. The downside is significantly higher running costs (larger brakes and tires which are burned up more quickly due to higher speeds reached on track).

I love my S2000 and if you're making a dedicated track car you can get one fairly cheap if you don't mind some minor issues that shouldn't affect on track performance or safety (salvage title or rough exterior). On the west coast you can also track the car on most tracks in 100% stock form as the factory roll hoops are quite strong (this is irrelevant if depending on your height). If you are going the dedicated track car route a roll bar, harness, and racing seat install is not that complicated due to the large community and aftermarket. That being said, it's still more expensive to purchase and run than a Miata. Far more interesting to drive though.

EverDream and goobaba like this.
  9. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

350z, rx7 fc and you can also find fd's too, just go to look.

10. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

I love RX7s but one of the biggest concerns for a track car is reliability, even more so if you're also going to drive the car home after the day ends. Reliability is not a rotary strong suit :lol:

sakeido likes this.
  11. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

lol no it isn't, but mine's still going. 800 whole km on the new build hah... if you premix and are only driving the car on track, and taking care of it seriously, it'll actually last for a decent amount of time

plus it looks like oil is going much higher, fuel costs will be a concern after a certain point. it blows my mind every time I drive my car just how bad of mileage it gets - never thought I'd complain about something like that, but jesus fuck it's stupid

on the flip side, you can easily find RX-7s that have already been LS swapped for under $30k. an FD with an LS is an extremely fast car that handles really well... FC somewhat less so cuz its MacPherson struts and a multi-link rear instead of dual A-arms front and rear, but probably still way faster than everything else

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

The RX8 I'm building will probably be a good one, and with the 1JZ should be reliable too! But when I went to the track a couple weeks ago I rode with a dude in his C7 Z06 and was absolutely fucking blown away by the performance on that car. So now I kinda want one.

If this year goes really well, maybe I'll sell the RX8 reward myself with a fun manual Z06 as a track car. Or maybe a 997 C2S.

13. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

the C5 Z06 are downright cheap these days but I always liked the C6 more. you can get certain trim packages on that car that include the wide body and big brakes off the Z06 car, then throw some aero parts on it so it actually has downforce

the Grand Sport is usually the best one to build into a track car because it doesn't have too much horsepower, but it does have the wide body and handling bits off the Z cars, but they also have held their value really well and haven't dipped below $30k yet afaik

if you go C5 the non-Z06 body style is (imo) way more attractive and is more aerodynamic. they didn't use it for the Z06 because the hardtop chassis was stiffer, but if you are building a track car, a good roll cage will stiffen up a normal Corvette real nice. the non-Z06s haven't held their value at all and a dirt cheap, real good platform for a build... that's the body that got built into the C5R after all

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  14. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

yeah but c7

15. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

Well if you're gonna go bananas get a 997 GT3

The Z06 will undoubtedly be cheaper in the long run though

16. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Maintenance costs on these is very very steep. I should know, had one for 18 months now, and pretty much everything that could wear out has worn, or needed replacing.

On the other side, they are awesome cars, and if they've had the horror jobs done then it'll last nicely. Well worth overhauling the suspension with new uprated arbs and some quality coilovers (bilsteins et all). Makers a great roadcar/occasional track day machine.

Going full track on these you'd want to replace water pump, ditch the viscous fan and go full electric (mishimoto) etc etc.

I absolutely love mine, even if it is a massive money pit. I've got mine as fast road car with an eye of getting onto the track, problem is, it is my daily, and as such I cannot justify putting a half cage in it as I still want to lug around gar/guitars in it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

You've been bitten by the big cube bug haven't you Misha..

18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

big cube?

19. philkilla

philkilla Jesus Saves Contributor

Lol, excuse my shorthand. Big cubic inch V8's.

If you ever get the chance to ride or drive any V8 car with an aggressive cam it may change your life. Something about a real lopey idle that makes the hairs on your neck stand up.

wannabguitarist likes this.