The Big 4 of Death Metal?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Dawn of the Shred, Feb 3, 2018.

1. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

Still gotta say, imo if it is difficult to agree on what should be included one can go about it the other way and see if people can agree on what bands cannot be excluded, and from my experience being in the DM scene for 20 years, I haven't found many people who could exclude Death, Cannibal Corpse or Morbid Angel.

After those three bands people can argue what bands should also be there but it is pretty rare for anyone to argue that any of those should not be there. So maybe for me those would make a big three.

Also: I have watched the Fenriz stuff posted before and I have heard his point of view of how BM (and to some extent DM) came about and he is so spot on I would advice anyone who is curious to give his view of events a try.

NickS likes this.
  2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

I read some books years ago about the history of metal (Encyclopedia of Metal by Daniel Bukszpan and Sound of the Beast by Ian Christe). Both of them pretty much covered everything from the late 70s all the way up to the mid 2000s. Fenriz is pretty much dead on from the main parts I remember about thrash/black metal/death metal.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  3. Fathand

Fathand Tube Snake Boogie

Influenced by DM yes, but I personally wouldn't still count it as death metal. But these are personal and complicated formulas to decode - in my head what makes any genre is a combination of music, vocals, production, lyrics and overall feel. And as an output from that formula Gojira doesn't fit the DM box. Great band nevertheless and I've listened it a lot too (especially From Mars to Sirius).

vilk likes this.
  4. Axe Cop

Axe Cop SS.org Regular

Death, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Possessed

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Honestly, I wouldn’t argue with this list either.

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Death metal is Maiden tuned to B with double kick drums and guttural vocals.

More seriously, DM has changed so much over time and there is so much overlap than I just gave up. I classify metal as "my head is moving" and "meh".

PS: when you think about it, especially from a composition standpoint and the melodies and scales used, the first startement is really on target. Except I can't see any melodies in Cannibal Corpse. :D

7. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Most death metal is definitely not in this category. However, you did perfectly describe In Flames.

wat, xzacx and Durtal like this.
  8. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That's one strand, but then you've also got "Slayer riffs, but faster", "Slayer riffs, but slower" and "Slayer riffs, but slower, but the drums are faster"

Durtal likes this.
  9. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

You can't have a death metal "big 4" with Cannibal Corpse.

NickS likes this.
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

:scratch:

11. NickS

NickS Carvinite

I only just realized after @KailM post that you said "with":scratch: That don't make no sense??

12. Might-is-Right

Might-is-Right As a Lion...

Death, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse have to be in there. Suffocation or Bolt Thrower as the arguable 4th. I don't really see Possessed in this as they weren't very influential to the Death Metal scene, more on the thrash side (this is from someone who was around way back then).

While we are on the subject of the "Big Four" how on earth was Venom left out of the "other" Big Four? They predated all those bands and were hugely influential. Never understood that at all...

13. NickS

NickS Carvinite

Because, both of these lists are basically American bands, as most people have mentioned. My personal list for Death Metal would definitely include Bolt Thrower at the least from Europe, but most of us are sticking to American bands as top ones, just like
    with Thrash Metal.

14. arasys

arasys SS.org Regular

No one mentioned Hypocrisy?! :argue:

15. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

I feel like DM is either the big 1 or 2, or 10 with no in between. Trying to whittle it to 4 is nearly impossible given it's quick upstart in the US and Overseas around the same time.
    Death, Morbid Angel and then throw a couple darts at a list of about 10 other bands that could be there as well.

Durtal likes this.
  16. MrMcSick

MrMcSick Derp

Morbid angel, suffocation, cannibal corpse, malevolent creation. All started in the 80s.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The four different lineups of Cannibal Corpse.

BIG ND SWEATY, NickS and zappatton2 like this.
  18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Same thing with Possessed. I rarely see fans mention them as a progenitor for death metal. I do see fans mention them but not as nearly as much as say, Death. IMHO, when fans/forum members put together their list of what bands should be on the big 4 for death metal bands, there's just too many prerequisite's among fans to choose from. Who came first, who did what first, who was/is more popular, who was more influential, who was more consistent, who is still active, who they like most, etc, etc, etc. Someone's dream lineup will always be disagreed upon by someone else.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yo, so this Diecide Serpents of the Light stuff is the hotness. Is more material like this? I like the heavy thrash vibe. I mean the vocals are garbage, but that’s almost all death metal.

20. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

If you like their thrash riffs, you might want to check out these songs from them:

Kill the Christian from the album, Once upon the cross. Second riff in the beginning.

Suffer again from the album, Insineratehymn.

Empowered by blasphemy from the album, To hell with God.

They have a lot more thrash riffs scattered throughout their discography but these are a few of my favorites that come to mind.