The A4 and beyond thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by vansinn, Jun 27, 2011.

1. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

I have done something like this. I got an Epiphone PeeWee

[​IMG]

It's a 19" scale. The are currently discontinued but you might be able to find one for cheap. I tuned it an octave higher than my normal. It goes from

C#3-C#5 with a D'Addario .007 at the top. The tuners are the worst I've ever experienced it was difficult getting it to wind the string. My hypothesis was confirmed when I played, it doesn't sound that much higher than a regular guitar. If you slowly strum all the open notes, the interval between the 6th and the 1st is still 2 octaves. It would sound high if you still had a regular C#2, but the pitch relativity that you hear it still the same on a regular guitar. Your just lacking the lower note center. I think it could be useful in composition when you layer it on top of a guitar tuned an octave lower, it would create great contrast.

You should be able to get an ESP F-Jr

[​IMG]

With it's 20.5" scale, all you need to do is change your initial tuning to C standard. Then you can have C2-C4 on one guitar and a C3-C5 on that one since the .007 dictates how high you may go.

Because this mini guitar didn't meet my needs of adding a second higher string I ended up resolving this problem by shifting my major third.

For example, you could tune an 8 string. BEADF#BEA (6 string B with two high strings) and I found it feels and sounds higher even though the pitch is the same.

2. TankTurret

TankTurret SS.org Regular

Oh nice that does sound like a cool option, but

1) how small are the high frets? is it playable with adult hands?
    2) Do they make versions with tremolo bars?

3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It's an adjustment, but the 24th fret on a 20" scale guitar is totally useable. As far as mini guitars with trems, I don't recall ever seeing one. Even the mini strats have hardtail bridges, IIRC.

4. PBC

PBC Composition Ontology

It's about the equivalent of the 27th fret on a 25.5". It's too subjective to give you an exact answer because I don't know the diameter of your fingers. Although I'm confident you should be able to fret it with your pinky and if not. Just grow the nail out on the finger.

If you need some pictures, you can check the NGD of the 36 Fret Gary Kramer I did. The links were on imgur so they look broken, but if you open the image in a new tab, and reload the tab it should display. It'll give you a better idea visually of how it might work.

The trem would need to be installed separated and use caution. C5 to C#5 is getting in the brink of the possibility, as a dive only trem it would be fine.

5. TankTurret

Seeing mostly success stories here with the A4 I went ahead and got myself a Jackson soloist as my lead playing guitar. I got a bunch of addagio .007 strings, and after snapping them a few times found I could tune to A4 by tuning to G then waiting an hour, to G# wait to between G# and A wait and then to A. However, every three or four times I play it it snaps on me, and it definitely cannot take a bend up with the trem bar. It's ok to just use it for dives, but still it seems to snap far too often, between the nut and the tuner usually. So I will go ahead and try the octave4plus strings, although he says it is not certain they will work and that many guitars do have trouble staying at A4. It is expensive, too, so hopefully those strings will work, at least in the sense of holding up to regular playing, without necessarily bends and such. Otherwise I feel as though this would fail as the lead guitar I intended, which would be a shame

6. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

That semitone or two (as introduced by bending too) really do make all the difference. Tune to G# and you'll have little issue. Tune to G and you'll have none at all :)

Hollowway and AxeHappy like this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

1. Check your nut for burs.
    2. Try to avoid playing bends on the highest string.
    3. If you go with the O4p, you should do the same procedure to restring, as boring as that is. The o4p strings have a different chemistry and a different feel to them, if you haven't noticed, but they tend to take substantially longer to stretch out, in my experience. They should be bendable tuned to A4, though.
    4. What is the scale length of your Jackson?

8. TankTurret

Thanks for the quick replies!

Winspear,
    Yes that's true worst comes to worst I can always just tune to G and bend away...

bostjan,
    1. I don't see anything unusual, but the o4p guy did mention that there is a hard bend of the string at the nut on this guitar and that could very well cause problems
    2. Yes I have stopped trying to bend it or use the trem bar to bend up. Last couple times it snapped I hadn't been bending it
    3) OK, yes I'll definitely make sure to tune a bit at a time, and then let it sit and then play it lightly at first, then faster, and not try bending until a week after it's been set to A4
    4. 25"5

9. Halowords

Halowords SS.org Regular

Quick question (I think). I have an Agile 92730 and I want to capo it so it plays with a high-A4 on the first string with a Gibson-esque tone and feel. To what should I tune it (or how many frets up will it be tuned to standard), and what string gauge would best get me that sort of tone/feel?

For reference, for my standard tuning on a Gibson-scale I use 11's.

10. Winspear

27" F# with a 009 will achieve this with the same tension as a Gibson 11 E. So capo on 3 for high A, however this is actually about 1.5 frets shorter than Gibson length. It will be very safe though, allowing you to bend a semitone with ease, and, if there are no sharp points (and no bad luck), a full tone quite safely.
    You could do 27" G with an 0085 and capo at two to get you a bit closer to actual Gibson scale, and 22 fret pickup placement instead of 21. It will be perfectly safe but personally I'd be a little nervous bending it a semitone and would not want to bend it a full tone.
    The full string set I would suggest is 8.5/9+11-49+64

Halowords and Hollowway like this.
  11. Halowords

Halowords SS.org Regular

That actually sounds perfect, especially for starters, as I've considered a Fender Mustang short-scale or similar alto guitar for a warmer sounding guitar just to play with. It may take a while to figure out exactly where I want to be with this, however having a rounder sounding high-end and the ability to play it without risking it being overly brittle makes it an easy compromise to make. So thanks a million!

Winspear likes this.
  12. Winspear

Yeah it's really nice! Enjoy :D I'm all about being able to treat it safely like a normal string

Halowords likes this.