The A4 and beyond thread

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by vansinn, Jun 27, 2011.

1. xmixahlx

xmixahlx SS.org Regular

Interested in your input on the TOM vs FIXED bridge debate going on in my head. You'll want to invest in those NYXL strings, but I'm also interested in the 007 vs 008 comparison, too. Jealous!

2. xmixahlx

xmixahlx SS.org Regular

Wondering how current this info is, since they now offer a 24.0" scale (?). Anyone here have a custom 82425 or 82427 that could jump in with thoughts/info?

3. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

The 82427 pendulum's available in stock are 24.75" as confirmed by Kurt from rondo. In terms of the customs, 24" means 24.5", this info not from Kurt but from many custom buyers who posted reviews and measured.

4. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

Looking forward to your review!

5. xmixahlx

xmixahlx SS.org Regular

6. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

Thanks! Of course, I found out yesterday that the Septor will not show up until next Tuesday, so it will more than likely be next Friday or Saturday before I can do the full review.

I ordered some NYXL .007 strings, which will probably arrive before the guitar will. As for the TOM vs FIXED debate, I picked the fixed bridge due to the overall feel/comfort level I have with those bridges (I have the same bridge on my Agile Intrepid 828 and love it).

I saw that last weekend and contemplated buying it. However, I have been GASing for a short-scale 8-string for some time now so I passed. I think it would do equally well if tuned to EADGBEA or DGCFADG/CGCFADG.

7. marcojolo

marcojolo SS.org Regular

This thread is interesting to me. I have 4 short scale 8 strings. Two of them have the high side at 23.5 and the other two has the high side at 22 and 22.5. The high string on all of them are tuned to Ab4. My experience with this has been that you can safely bend a half step on the 23.5" scale and a whole step on the other two. I think tuning up on a 25.5 scale guitar would be VERY unstable based on my experience. I love the short scale 8 strings. I never play my 6 or 7 strings any more.......no need I suppose.

8. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

Tell us more about your short scale 8s!

9. marcojolo

marcojolo SS.org Regular

I have 4 of them.....

Dean RC8FF with a 25.5"-23.5" scale.

Xen HDC with a 25.5"-23.5" scale

Oakland Axe Factory SS8 26"-22.5" scale......this guitar can be ordered as a production model form the OAF website.

Custom guitar built by Kevin Fast at Fast guitars with a 25.5"-22" scale.....basically an RG multiscale 8 string. You can see this one in the fast guitars thread on the dealers and group buys board.......I think the OAF guitar is in the OAF thread on the same board. Great guitars......I LOVE the extended range!!

10. marcojolo

marcojolo SS.org Regular

Here are pics of the 3 customs.

Attached Files:

• fast.JPG
      fast.JPG
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
    • SS8.JPG
      SS8.JPG
      File size:
      150.2 KB
      Views:
    • xen.JPG
      xen.JPG
      File size:
      118.7 KB
      Views:
  11. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

Since you seem like an authority on the matter, what would you recommend as the least expensive entry to a ff 8 string suitable for uptuning? I whole-heartedly agree with your statement that the 25.5 or 24.75" guitars are not well suited for a4, but they are $400, as opposed to >1.5-2k. I understand even the least expensive option won't approach 400$, but what's the best that can be done out there?

12. marcojolo

marcojolo SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say I'm an authority.....LOL!! I think the most affordable way to get an 8 string for tuning up would be to order the SS8 shorty through Oakland Axe Factory. It's a great guitar and I think comes in under 2k. Also.....the high scale is plenty short and it is a very comfortable layout. I think the 23.5 high side scale works ok but it just doesn't give you enough play when bending to not worry about breaking strings. That's my 2 cents anyways.

13. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

I snapped a couple of pics with my phone (sorry for the pic quality).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My initial thoughts:

1) The fit & finish are incredible.
    2) It came setup well from the factory.
    3) The weight is perfectly balanced, and the neck is very easy to play on.
    4) Low F#/B riffing actually felt and sounded pretty good through my rig. I expected it to play and feel like flop-town, but it was pleasantly surprised.
    5) The stock pickups are not too bad, but not on par with aftermarket pickups (once I install the DiMarzio D-Activator 8 Bridge and Ionizer 8 Neck pickups, this instrument will really come alive).

Expect the BEADGBEA tuning review no later than this weekend. Also, this will be my 1,000th post! :shred:

14. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

Awesome! So no qualms with the fretwork?

15. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

None at all. The fretwork is fantastic.

16. xmixahlx

xmixahlx SS.org Regular

17. focusbob

focusbob SS.org Regular

18. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

Initial review:

So earlier this afternoon I installed the DiMarzio D-Activator 8 Bridge and Ionizer 8 Neck in the Agile Septor Elite 824, then tuned it to BEADGBEA with a custom D'Addario string set (NYXL .007, DAPL .010, DAPL .0135, DAPL .017, DANW .025, DANW .034, DANW .046, DANW .060). I stretched the strings, tuned them to pitch and let the Agile sit for a bit.

After re-tuning the strings to pitch, no high A string breakage occurred and so far, only the low B string needed a minor intonation adjustment (I will check it again in the morning and making any necessary adjustments). I have performed a few half-step bends on the high A string as well as strummed it with a medium heavy hand and will experiment with some full-step bends tomorrow, but I have found no issues with the string tension feel or tone (which is fantastic and very musical). Also, the low B string does not sound muddy or undefined at all. I will post updates throughout the weekend and will gladly answer any questions concerning the guitar, pickups, strings, etc.

19. techjsteele

techjsteele Contributor

The Septor 824 has been tuned to BEADGBEA for a week now. Full-step bends and aggressive playing on the high A string have proven to be a non-issue. So far, the D'Addario NYXL .007 gauge string is holding up quite well.

20. xmixahlx

xmixahlx SS.org Regular

I've now had the same NYXL 007 string tuned to A4 for ~6 months now...

AX7221, 24.75" -

Stays well in tune. Sounds great. No issues.