Tell me stuffs about baritone guitars...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JohnTanner, Jul 15, 2017.

1. JohnTanner

JohnTanner Derpin' on the guitar since 2003

Basically I just want one. I see there isn't a whole lot of nice baritone 6 string guitars geared toward the metal player on the market aside from going to a custom builder and spending a small fortune. Although I do really love the LTD 401B, which is basically the only baritone that looks metal as f!@k and under $1000. but the tun-o-matic bridge makes me not want it all that much..

Let me know if you have any experience with Baritone guitars and what other companies make them. Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

PRS Mike Mushok.

Or you can get an Agile Septor 627, throw some .011 - .056's on there and tune it down to B (i believe they make these with floyds and/or kahlers

KnightBrolaire and Sir Ibanez like this.
  3. Sir Ibanez

Sir Ibanez SS.org Regular

I have Ibanez rg970xl . Great baritone with 27 inch scale. Japanese made. Costs about 800-900$

4. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Agile's got 27" and 30" six-string baritones for sale right now.

5. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

New: PRS SE277, Mayones Baritone, Schecter C6 Baritone, Ibanez RGI6BK, ESP BB600, ESP EII, ESP V401B...

Used/discontinued: Ibanez RG1077XL, the PRS and Ibanez Mushok models...

Did you do any research whatsoever? :rant:

Sir Ibanez likes this.
  6. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Don't forget the EBMM Petrucci models have always come in baritone, although they're in the $2k+ range. Still, that's another production baritone to add to the list.

7. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire I'll sleep when I'm dead

prs mushok or assemble one from parts with a baritone neck from warmoth.

9. JohnTanner

JohnTanner Derpin' on the guitar since 2003

lol honestly I thought I did... but it appears there are more than i thought. I knew about the Schecter and Ibanez model. I guess what I meant to say is finding one used that I like has been difficult. I dont want to be spending a fortune. I would be all over a skervensen or mayones baritone if i could afford it

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands WONDERFUL

I was gonna recommend the PRS stuff. My 277 doesn't look metal in the slightest, but sounds monstrous.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thats always been on my mind, but 28,6" scale is bit too much for me. Wish they could do a 26.5-27" one. Dont care if the neck ends up with 23 frets, but I bet you they would sell heaps more

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

But they make baritones....
    :)

It wouldn't really affect the number of frets...
    As I understand it it's easier to make a 28.625 conversion neck. Although they do make a 24.75 conversion so a 27 should be possible.

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I mention the number of frets because it gets changed. Reason why their convertion neck of 28.6" ends up with 24 frets, as to fill the gap for the new lenght of the neck on a strat type body. Having a 27" neck wuld end up with 23 frets or something like that no idea.

but if they can make an overtang for extra frets on normal 25.5" necks can do 21 or 22, then they should be able to pull off a 27" one, as any missing space for a fret can be filled with an overtang, even if its a 22/23 fret with extra wood at the end

the do that scale because if Im not wrong its eassier as it fits perfect with the number of frets as a 22 fre would on a normal scale
    [​IMG]

I think is cool they do baritone, but I feel 28.6" is too much of a baritone. Mayority of people preffer 27" for 7 strings and I think it would make it mroe ideal for people who want anything between dropD-dropB who is usually majority of folks.

I want a guitar for dropC, but 28,6" is bit overkill for my taste

14. Stellar Sepulchres

Stellar Sepulchres SS.org Regular

Jericho Guitars. All models have the offering of 27 inch scale. I can personally recommend them as I have the Fusion model and I can tune it to bass VI tuning and it still sounds fantastic. Kalium strings also gets a plug here for offering absurdly thick string gauges.

15. diagrammatiks

that's not how it works exactly tho. the 28.625 is exactly two frets longer then a 25.5. the 27 has entirely different fret widths the entire length of the neck. Not saying they couldn't do it though.

16. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

I have a 27" Ultra Tone which isn't really in the budget, but if ever LTD makes one it would be a good contender.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

exactly, so the 27" would end up being what? 0.75 / 1.25 frets longer?. have it with 23 frets and some blank wood overtang to fill the gap, or 22 with extra wood.

yes fret spacing is different, but that doesnt affect as long as they take into account the bridge position and neck bolt on points. It wont be nice and perfect 24 frets, it might be something between 22/24, so build as many frets as they fit in there and leave a blank wood space to fill the rest till the neck pocket. Point is that from what I see in this forum, a 27" (or around that 26,5"-27.5") seems to be more popular than a 28.6".

18. diagrammatiks

You aren't understanding. The rest of the frets on the 28.625 are exactly the same as a 25.5.

I'm not saying they can't do it but it's more complicated then just subtracting a fret. They have 2 fret spacings now the 24.75 and the 25.5. Doing a 27 would mean they tool and program for an entirely new different spacing.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

you arent understanding what Im saying.

they do it on a CNC, its just a matter to do some calculations, meassure and done. Create a new CNC for a 27" fretboard and neck. Exactly the same deal as their 24.75" necks, or their 28.6" ones. Even their 25.5" ones had to be initially calculated and programmed.

same deal with all the different options for inlays, and neck profile, and nut width, modern/classic construction, heel shape, headstock, ect

each of the 3 scale lenghts they offer are a different cnc program. Is not like they run a 25.5" program then just add two frets at the end. The neck still has to be longer and the bolt on points have to be at a different point.

Once you calculate and create a 27" neck to fit a strat heel, the nut of such neck has to be at 27" from the standard Strat bridge position, hence conversion neck..... if you run 24 frets on that neck/fretboard, then some of the 23-24th frets would be at the neck pickup, so cant be done. No problem, just create the fretboard with less frets to accomodate the spacing that you have up to the neck heel. Yes, the frets spacing arent "perfect" to fill exactly 23 frets (for example), no problem, have it with 22 frets and extra blank wood to fill the space up to the heel. This overtang of wood would be larger than a normal 21fret strat, but smaller than the space required for the next fret, so it would have to be left blank. But who cares, you have a 27" neck now

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 8:31 AM
  20. Winspear

Winspear EtherealEntity Vendor

27 actually is the same spacing too, diagrammatics :) It goes 25.5 > 27 > 28.62 > 30.32
    But yeah, what he said ^ The only easy way to do it is 24 frets on 25.5, 25 on 27, 26 on 28.62 etc, adding frets behind the nut. That way is indeed only a stretch of the neck and fretboard blanks but gotta alter the neck taper and clamping points etc too