Tell me about the DiMarzio D-Sonic

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Sep 5, 2018.

1. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I can attest that I’ve had 1 Alt 8 that was fat and dark, and 2 that sit nicely. No idea what the difference is or if there was a mislabeled batch or what, but the first Alt 8 I stuck in my CU24 was mad dark, so I exchanged it. Later, I wanted to thicken up my Caparison a little, so I grabbed another Alt 8, and it was way tight and bright haha. Exact opposite of the first one. So I stuck the new Alt 8 in my CU24, and stuck a Custom 5 variant in my Capa. Every thing worked out beautifully. I might stick my modded Alt 8 into my Aries Multiscale now. I was able to get a good sound with the lithiums but I bet I’d like the Alt 8 hybrid better.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Well I tried putting down an offer for a DiMarzio D-sonic, but home boy won't respond. Dunno if I should wait or pull the trigger on an X2N.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

Fuck it all, I just bought the D-Sonic instead of waiting. :lol:
    Imma try to stick with it this time. Always been curious about it. If I don't dig it, I'll sell it.

Shask likes this.
  4. Necropolis

Necropolis SS.org Regular

I had it in an h1000 and it was pretty great in that. But I eventually discovered the Steve special and haven't really looked back.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

How would you compare the two?

6. Necropolis

Necropolis SS.org Regular

To me personally I thought the Steve special had alot more clarity in it. It seems to be a very articulate pickup any way, where as the dsonic was good but it gave me this weird out of phase sound. I dont know if everyone has that issue or if it was wired that way but i seemed to enjoy my time with the steve. I wish they made it into an 8 string model

7. failsafe

failsafe SS.org Regular

Maybe just keep the 81 and boost the presence knob? Seems easier than a quest for the perfect pickup, unless of course you just love to tinker ;)

I pretty much just find a pickup that I like the ‘feel’ of, and the eq to taste. Right now I’m really loving the Het Set in my explorer.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

So on a whim I got an X2N as well. :lol: got it for fairly cheap.

9. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

I fully approve this message.

10. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Eh, in my experience, and vs other pickups in my other guitars, it isn't a very clear/defined sounding pickup. But this is compared to a bareknucckle nailbomb, painkiller, and a couple custom winds from smaller boutique operations .

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  11. HeHasTheJazzHands

The dsonic is still on its way. Being shipped from Canada.

I got the X2N though. And uh... Don't like it. It's way too much. It has so much output that there's no clarity. Chords mush up together and palm mutes get messy. Sounds too fuzzy at times. It may work for higher tunings, but drop B is a no go. And yes I played around with the pickup height. Nearly bottomed it out at times. Still no luck. Not enough high end for my taste. I read somewheres that its all mids....which is accurate.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

yeah that seems to be the consensus. ut's like the duncan invader, too much output, muddy af and they're both hated redheaded stepchildren of their respective brands.

13. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

Ahem, sorry, the invader is a very different story! It might be a one-minded brute and lacks sweetness/harmonics on the top end, but it definitely has lots of clarity and tightness for metal rhythm! I used this pickup for far too long that I want to admit nowadays. If you play only rhythm, the Invader can definitely deliver that.

Also, Master of Puppets's rhythm was done with an Invader-equipped guitar.
    I never got how Synyster Gates can get his leads to sound so great with the Invader though.

14. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have an Invader in my Charvel So-Cal. It works great in that guitar since it is so bright and thin. The Invader helps tone down the biting high end, and add some chunk to the low end.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

You can tell the differences between the Invader and EMG 81 with Metallica.

MoP isn't as tight and it has a lot more beef and chunk.
    Garage Days/AJFA is brighter, sharper, tighter, and had more attack.

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Okay, finally got un-lazy and installed it.

It sounds a lot higher-output than expected. Lots of chunk and midrange. Rolled off high end, even with the bar towards the bridge. Not the tightest pickup, but MUCH tighter than the X2N.

Makes me wanna try the Dominion now.

EDIT: I did get curious and record it in a mix right after I finished the installation. The chunk and midrange makes it fucking huge in a mix,though.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  17. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I love the D-sonic. Its got a very modern sound. As you found out, its not particularly bright.

The way I would describe it is that it has a very "thick" treble. Solo notes are very thick and well defined, really stand out.

To my ears, this is almost the perfect lead guitar pickup for basswood guitar. It almost sounds too clinical though. Marco Sfogli used these for a good while afaik.

18. TheShreddinHand

TheShreddinHand Uber Stringer

Yeah, still loving my d sonic/air norton combo in my 6. Like it so much I just got a 7 set of the same for my rg752!

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah it is a pretty killer pickup. I would prefer more high end, then it would be perfect. I like to have some snap and attack to my tone.

20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I have always been curious about that pickup, and you make me want to try one. I have not been impressed with many Dimarzios over the last few years (Seems like they keep having that neck pickup bass + single coil twang mixed together sound I cant stand), but I do like the Crunch Lab 7 that I have, that I know is related to the D Sonic.