Teaching guitar...where to start?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by HeadofaHessian, Jan 27, 2018.

1. HeadofaHessian

HeadofaHessian SS.org Regular

My Wife is starting to show a big interest in learning guitar and wants me to teach her. Ive never really been a good teacher in the past but then again I've never really given it an honest go. Im excited as it will be something fun that we can both do together! My question is, WHERE DO I START?!?! I took lessons when I first started about 18 years ago and I can't remember where he had me start. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Does she play an instrument already? Sing? How is her ear? Does she have rhythm?

What does she want to learn?

Show her some chords and scales and see what her strengths and weaknesses are and go from there.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

basic chords and then try and find tabs of songs your wife wants to play/likes to listen to. work on those with her once she can actually play the chords.

4. HeadofaHessian

She's actually a really good singer, she did choir in college, she doesn't know how to play any sort of instrument.

5. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Start with some tabs of songs she’d like to learn.

Without knowing much else, very few people want to play an instrument and do “school”. Teaching someone Green Day or a chord progression to Lana Del Rey will make them MUCH more likely to stick with it than scales.

Some warm-up exercises would be a good idea though.

I personally wouldn’t go too heavy on the theory early. $0.02 and all the best.

6. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I teach how to hold the instrument, how to hold the pick, and how to do a rest stroke for starters. Show that there is a difference between picking individual strings and strumming all/some of the strings. Get her in the habit of practicing the 1-2-3-4 exercise up all the strings (as in E:1-2-3-4/A:1-2-3-4/D:1-2-3-4/etc.) and introduce her to one or two new chords at a time. Every student is different, but I consider it a success if I can teach someone to alt-pick a single line melody (from tab, or sheet music, or improvised, or whatever) and strum out a chord progression clearly (without muting any strings) and in time. How much rock music is just that?

7. Lasik124

Lasik124 SS.org Regular

You say shes a good singer? Perhaps she would be interested in playing and singing!

I start a lot of students off with just basic open chords and strum patterns. From there students can begin learning most of their favorite songs quickly.

A big key I find when starting a new student is holding their interest. Showing students early how easy it is to achieve playing a long to a simple song, especially one they like is encouraging and fun! They are more likely to stick with the instrument this way.

Last but not least, have a good gauge on simplifying things at first. It's okay to give students easier parts then what is in the recording. Example: Strumming whole notes at first then quarters/eighths. Skipping passing chords/melodic runs etc.

Have fun! :)

8. HeadofaHessian

Awesome, all are great tips! I like the idea of of doing some simple songs to keep her interest. I'm sure she would eventually like to be able to sing and play at the same time.