Tabletop Thread?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by lelandbowman3, Dec 14, 2017.

1. lelandbowman3

lelandbowman3 SS.org Regular

Lazily, I did not search for a tabletop thread, so here's a new one.

What have you been playing? Favorite systems? Homebrew stuff?

Right now I'm in the middle of a Call of Cthulhu campaign. It's my favorite because I enjoy the world and mythos of Lovecraft. I have most of the stuff released by Chaosium as well as Trail of Cthulhu. I use a modified CoC system (percentile) because for the most part, I like more storytelling and less system involvement. To me, too much interference creates a wall if a player fails a role that gives them parts needed to advance the story. Right now I have set sort of a prequel to Masks going, all homebrew.

Strobe likes this.
  2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

My friends and I try to get together to play tabletop games every couple of weeks.

Some favourites:
    > Arcadia Quest/Masmora
    > Catan
    > House on the Haunted Hill
    > Evoluton
    > Codenames
    > Ticket to Ride

Earlier this year we tried running a D&D 5e campaign based off of the Adventure Zone podcast but couldn't find a decent schedule to accommodate everyone and it fell through. I think we'll all come back together for a new campaign but in the meantime I just listened to the Adventure Zone podcast instead, and it gave me a big ol' hankerin' to play some D&D.

I used to play Warhammer (Fantasy and 40k) about 15 years ago when I was a kid and am super sad to see what they did to the Fantasy tabletop game. From the sounds of it, it was so bad that anyone I knew that was into it changed over to War Machine instead.

3. lelandbowman3

Yeah, from what I see, Warhammer is mostly about war game miniatures.

4. lelandbowman3

Going to be running a new scenario using Roll20 online. WOuld anyone be interested in giving Call of Cthulhu a try?

5. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Trying to arrange a game or two of Eclipse with my friends next week. I love board games but finding time for them is always difficult.

6. MUTANTOID

MUTANTOID SS.org Regular

COC is super fun on Roll20. PM me if you need an extra player!

7. lelandbowman3

Hey man! I just saw this after not being on for a while. I've got to get my stuff in order (moving, new job!) but if I need someone, I'll hit you up!

MUTANTOID likes this.
  8. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer Contributor

Been playing loads of Catan lately since my girl got me the base game and Seafarers as gifts. Also have been messing around with Catan Universe when I can't get people together haha, it's a problem.

9. thrsher

thrsher \m/-_-\m/

me and my buddies get together every friday so we are always playing something diffrent but recently
    terraforming mars
    viticulture
    massive darkness
    cuba
    jamiaca
    china town

10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I've got my Pathfinder game tonight. We play online over roll 20 every two weeks. Our last campaign took two years to get through and we just started a new one earlier this year.

This campaign is Skull And Shackles, in which the PCs play a pirate crew adventuring in the seas of Galorian.

I play our main tank - a druid named "Ulysses Wailde". He's a surly sailor who looks and talks like zakk wilde who self taught himself druidic powers while being marooned alone for years with nobody for company but a dog. He's big and strong and dumb, but he transforms into big scary animals and buffs his strength and size to dish out maximum carnage. He's a blast to play!

Our GM has been knocking this game out of the park. He had us write back stories keeping in mind that we should give him plenty of fodder to fuck with our characters, and he's introduced character-driven story missions. He surprised me by rewriting part of my back story and presenting it as a suppressed memory by my character. It worked brilliantly, and was one of my favorite sessions I've played.

I'm toying with setting up a Savage Worlds campaign with a Super Hero theme, largely inspired by the marvel cinematic universe. I'm going to try to write each session to play out like a movie in a cinematic universe. Do one session of each characters origin story, and then start the big campaign (avengers movie). Should be fun.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Haven't played a tabletop RPG for many years. I played in middle school, but the friend I had who was really into it moved away, so it wasn't until I dated a girl in college who was really into D&D that I got the idea to get back into it. Turned out that she wasn't too comfortable including me in her circle of friends that much, and I only once got to play before we split up. I dunno, but, it seems like groups of people into these games seem to be extremely skiddish about including new people in the group.

12. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Just picked up Eldritch Horror, and man I was NOT prepared for what tabletops have become since I was young. So many pieces. I’m excited to play, but I 100% need to goldfish it before trying to get my wife to sit down and play.

13. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I have a copy of Mage Knight and a copy of Gloomhaven at home that I'm still afraid to learn. Seriously the box of Gloomhaven is absurdly huge.

Mathemagician likes this.
  14. lelandbowman3

Wow, we had a bunch of replies today!
    I moved, so my old group isn't able to play, really. It's too hard to play online, so I'd much rather have everyone actually at the table, I've found. Looking at running a Wild West scenario here shortly, should be exciting

15. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I'd like to check out D&D 5e, but my usual group is run by a GM who only will use GURPS and hates basically every other system. GURPS works fine most of the time, but sometimes a change is good.

We've played GURPS campaigns of all sorts of varieties. Medieval fantasy, sci-fi, supernatural stuff, etc.

Most recently we played a campaign that was pretty fun. In it all fictional universes and the "real world" exist simultaneously as different parallel universes and our characters had to be from some established fictional universe of our choosing but couldn't be the main character of any media. Universes being destroyed, etc. It was a good time.