T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Adult Swim- Joe Pera Talks with You.
    Quite sublime and settling while funny at the same time.
    Side note: The character is from the UP of MI but he's got a heavy "great lakes" accent. Found out he's from Buffalo area so that fits. It doesn't fit the UP accent. Somewhere around/just north of Green Bay that GL accent fades out along the west coast of Lake MI and turns into Yooper which is definitely not a GL accent, which is a localized irony in itself.

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm watching episode 1 of "Haunted" on Netflix, and I don't think I've ever been this uneasy from a ghost story. This shit is so damn unnerving.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Rewatching Battlestar Galactica (2004) series.... the best sci fi show of all time. I'm enjoying it even more now than I did back when it first aired, even though I'm aware of all the plot twists.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

pickles from metalocalypse is a good yooper impression

5. The906

As I recall, std Wisconsonian.

6. KnightBrolaire

nah he's more yooper than wisconsin. northwoods/iron range mn and northern wisconsin accents do have similarities to yooper though.

The906 likes this.
  7. The906

We'll circle back to this at a later date.

8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I watched the first two episodes last night. First one was really good but the second one took me out of it.

For those who haven't seen it, the show's is based around personal paranormal-based stories with a format where the teller is sitting a room with friends & family telling the story while accompanied by a dramatization. The second is like one of the really bad ones where the author has no restraint and has too many different things going on.
    "My dad was a serial killer... he also conjured demons... he was also possessed... he also tried to groom my nephew to be a killer... oh, and my mom helped my dad kill... and then she killed him... and then my nephew moved into their house... and it was haunted... and he found trophies of all the killings... and he threw them out... and, if any of this were actually real, we'd be complicit in the cover up of countless unsolved murders.

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Yeah, I've skipped right over episode two since everyone has been claiming it made the show then come off incredibly fake. Anything more true crime vs. paranormal, I'm going to immediately right off because there should be a paper trail with those; paranormal you can't really charge with anything :lol: I'm hoping from three on it lends itself towards hauntings/shadow people/etc... to keep it at least somewhat entertaining and plausible to the idea of "based on a true story"

10. KnightBrolaire

I started up the chilling adventures of sabrina and really like it so far, it nails the vibe of the comics. It's got a good mix of creepy imagery/gore and some more inane teen drama to emphasize the absurdity of sabrina's situation. It's a slower burning show, not really something I'd recommend binge watching (at least not the first 4 episodes).

11. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

It's amazing so far, I agree.

Also been watching The Expanse WHILE reading the books and so far, I think I like the books better.

12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Started what is hopefully last season of House of Cards yesterday. It remains, even for These Turbulent Political Times (TM), stupendously ludicrous. What's kind of a mindfuck is that while watching I was thinking that this could be a season of American Horror Story, and then I realized that the same actor is playing a big bad/big-bad-adjacent role in each current season with some strange similarities between the characters. Now I'm half-expecting the ends of each season to reference the other directly.

13. KnightBrolaire

finished sabrina a few days ago and loved it. It's a bit slow in spots but the overall atmosphere and writing are great, this is the kind of spinoff/reboot hollywood should be pursuing (you know, ones that actually do something pretty different from the original). I wish they'd pushed some of the gore/horror bits a little bit harder but maybe they'll amp it up for the next season. I'd love if they could eventually get to the levels of Salem esque insanity, that show was awesome.

I need to catch up on the magicians next.

14. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

walking dead. seriously. they really can't do anything well anymore.

That said I think this week may be my personal finale for the show for good

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The Deuce season 2 finished. It's not Wire level, but it's great seeing some of the alumni. Especially having D'Angelo Barksdale back in a major role. I hadn't really seen that guy since The Wire and that total garbage role on Walking Dead. There was a good in-joke with Method Man getting mad at Slim Charles for shooting someone. Maggie Gylenhaal is really, really great in season 2 especially. It juggles a ton of plots, and maybe tries to cram in TOO much (we have political corruption, mafia breathing down local business owners' necks, street life from the perspective of prostitutes/pimps, "Hamsterdam" equivalent, the gay scene in the late 70s, and the film industry all at once). But, it's pretty damn good.

16. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

the 1st season has been on my to watch list for ages. I didn't know slim Charles was in it . that pushes me over the edge to start watching it. he's the man

17. wankerness

I didn't recognize him until someone pointed it out to me this season. He's got quite a hairdo.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Recently just went through Daredevil S3 and Castlevania S2. Interestingly enough there are similar reasons to why I loved both of them.

Season 3 of Daredevil takes away all the stuff that weighed down S2 and The Defenders (namely everything to do with Electra and The Hand) and brings it down to basics. Wilson Fisk is back as the central villain while introduces another new threat (that's also seriously well done). Incorporating parts of Frank Miller's great Born Again storyline was a great move. Charlie Cox really steps up here and does a good job in keeping up with Vincent DOnofrio's already imposing Kingpin.

The biggest problem S1 of Castlevania stated by everyone was "it's too short". Seson 2 addresses that and ups the ante on pretty much well, everything. It's also a good example of a well told story is still much better than all the fanservice pandering in the world (but extremely well played on that too). There's some stinger dialogue from everyone, even the support cast that was wildly entertaining. Dracula gets equal if not more screen time than the 3 mains and portrayed well as a sympathetic villain. Though my gripe was that the transition from S1 to S2 makes Dracula's character arc rather incongruous. Still, this is one of the best video game to movie/TV series adaptation to date. I'm certainly looking forward to what Season 3 will bring. The ending indicates for a more different feel and tone, which I'm actually excited about.

And that sneaky chicken behind the wall was a neat touch.

19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Been watching too much TV...

The Haunting of Hill House:
    I always look up IMDB ratings for basically everything I watch just so that I can avoid wasting my time on stuff that's no good. But I wish I didn't need to, because it can also set my expectations too high. When I found out how much people seem to like this new show I got really excited. I've always been into horror and I sought out and watched the 1963 The Haunting film when I was quite young and liked it, so the idea of a well-made TV show based on the same source material was very appealing. And so I watched it and... meeeh! Silly plot, silly ghosts, some cheap jump scares... Really didn't like it very much.

Daredevil S3:
    Hell yes! Very good! I think my favorite season so far.

20. wankerness

IMDB ratings are pretty helpful for movies. BUT, with TV shows, it seems like everything is rated highly no matter what it is. Like, the variance between worst episodes of shows vs best tends to be about 2 points. I think it's just that only fans of shows bother looking them up since it's more of a process to log TV episodes/shows than movies.