T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Damn yeah he is. I didn’t make the connection.

Fucking poor Wallace man. Bums me every time.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Damn yeah he is. I didn’t make the connection.

Fucking poor Wallace man. Bums me every time.

3. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh I figure it was the case, but I enver say my post was a "fact" ;)

its was more of a very loose statement in my eyes. I know there were stuff before but for me was the 5 robots, with the same color coding forming a bigger one ect ect.

And are you sure the original Voltron was american?, I always though it was Japanese due to the animation

aaaww yeah I remember that one too.

same with Mazinger Z, which I used to love and have toys off, and it was around 1975. And the other one I remmeber which was "Lightspeed Electroid Albegas", which there was 3 robots "Alpha, Beta, Gama" (black, blue, red) who would join in a different combination according to the situation required to form a bigger robot.

aaahhh nothing like the old cartoons

Either way theres a new version of Voltron in Netflix, go and watch it! its fricking amazing

4. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

I've been binge watching Canada's Worst Driver on youtube. I thought Dale was the worst until I got to season 13 with Krystal.

5. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Electric Dreams anthology.

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

Started up Altered Carbon. I think it's a pretty cool concept, with a lot of potential for interesting scifi world building/moral quandaries. The AI hotels/optical implants/backing up human consciousness via satellite and other tech in the show is pretty awesome. It's a little bit too reliant on the Blade Runner/cyberpunk aesthetic imo but overall I like it.

takotakumi likes this.
  7. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

I just finished this it past weekend.
    Took me a couple of episodes to get finally hooked in, but in the end loved the show.
    Not commenting much to remain spoiler-free :v haha

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  8. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Same, I'm maybe on Ep 4 or 5 so far.
    Side note: mumbling dialogue. I feel like I need a mixing board and the back button to figure out some of the sentences. Common issue, first world problem, I'm old, my speakers suck, etc.

9. KnightBrolaire

i typically watch a lot of shows with subtitles on so that hasn't been a huge issue for me. the bigger issue is the random bits of people speaking foreign languages. Why the hell are people still cursing in spanish, when this is in the far future and they clearly have a very good grasp on the english language? It doesn't really add anything imo, other than showing that the cops can speak spanish/arabic and english. My only other complaint so far is the extraneous scene with the AI playing poker. It's cool world building but it doesn't really matter as far as the main story.

10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

watched the first episode of Barry last night

I liked it as a first episode .looking forward to seeing where it goes

11. NateFalcon

NateFalcon The Impossible Kid

651808B4-9BD9-4FF5-BC8C-547013D754BB.jpeg Went back to ‘Freaks and Geeks’ after almost 20 yrs of forgetting about it...Rogen, Franco, Linda Cardellini, Martin Starr -I forgot how mildly entertaining this shit was. Like the ‘Wonder Years’ but cooler, with drugs and bullies

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

"Mildly entertaining?" I'd put that show right up there with The Wire for favorite ever.

NateFalcon likes this.
  13. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Yeah, I didn't catch it until a year or two ago, so I was super late to the party, but agree that Freaks and Geeks earned better than 'mildly entertaining'.

I mean, come on:

NateFalcon likes this.
  14. wankerness

It's somewhat funny, but it's incredibly heartfelt and nails the high school experience better than anything I've ever seen. I could see myself and my friends in practically everyone on that show, apart from maybe Nick, who was so cringeworthy I could barely stand to watch (during the MY LADY scene in particular). The character of Kim is one of the most evocative for me, and she's one of the least-mentioned. I knew and regularly dealt with girls EXACTLY like that in high school - horrible home life, razor exterior, but ferocious defense of anyone she decided to, well, "mother." And despite the untimely death of the show, the last episode is nearly perfect. Carlos the Dwarf is one of my favorite names. Right up there with Pepe Silvia.

The amount of careers launched by the show is pretty incredible for something so "cult." James Franco, Jason Segel, Seth Rogen, and to a slightly lesser extent Linda Cardinelli all went on to pretty serious careers. Most even HIT shows usually can't manage more than one knockout actor like that. Even Bill's better known today than he was then, with the ongoing major role on Silicon Valley.

synrgy and NateFalcon like this.
  15. NateFalcon

Alright...it’s REALLY entertaining- I like when Daniel (Franco) goes punk and puts on Black Flag’s ‘Damaged’ record on the turntable and has a personal mosh session to “Rise Above” to pump himself up for the punker chick (Kim) he meets at the punk show...the bands called ‘Pus’ and he calls them “puss” like pussy...classic

synrgy likes this.
  16. NateFalcon

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

This is a bit off topic, sorta, but I think Roseanne Barr's pro Trump stance is a complete and total work. I bring this up since the reboot show just premiered the other day.

synrgy and NateFalcon like this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

Santa Clarita Diet is hilarious. Season 2 is just as gory and goofy.

NateFalcon likes this.
  19. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

You're not alone. Just searching for 'roseanne', 'roseanne trump' is currently the third-ranked prediction. It's got people thinking, and talking.

I have the whole collection of the original series, so I've seen every single episode. I'll admit that my instinct said 'this is against the character', and that it's rubbing me wrong, but.. I dunno. The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing it kinda makes sense, and it's right in-line with what the show always tried to do: Demonstrate and pick away at all the hot-button issues of the day, from the perspective of 'the working class'. Here's a show saying - more or less - 'these are folks who heard 'jobs' and felt they had no choice but to go with that'.

A lot would have happened to and therefore modified (slightly or greatly) the perspectives of these characters, in the 20-ish year interim since we last saw them. Working class today isn't really the same thing it was in the 90's. The kind of factory jobs Roseanne used to work in the first few seasons have nearly all disappeared. A lot of working-class families who were high on Bill Clinton in the 90's got disillusioned during the interim, and - whether by way of actually believing the candidate's promises, or otherwise on a wing-and-a-prayer - subsequently hoped Drumpf would be their new champion.

So, like, whether or not it worked out for them in the end isn't the point, I guess? Like, maybe the ultimate message is 'different decade; different people in power; same bullshit'?

Based on the original series, I'm gonna trust them to make some kind of sense out of the situation. Then again, I just read that Trump personally called Roseanne, so what do I know.. :lol: We'll see, I guess.

And, in total fairness - and I say this as a strongly anti-GOP sort of fellow - Jackie's portrayal of "us" is amusingly accurate.

20. wankerness

Interviews with Roseanne all had her saying she was a big Trump fan IRL, so unless she's pulling an Andy Kaufman I don't think she's going to try any of the thoughtful material you're describing!