"sustain pedal" ?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Jun 11, 2018.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

:yesway:
    Yeah, 1000 mA might be okay, but if the manufacturer recommends 1300 mA, I would shoot for that. I have no idea why there's a huge difference between the two spec's, but you aren't going to overpower the device by using too many mA. Plus, the "official" power supply should have the correct plug and polarity already.

vilk likes this.
  2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I thought you could in fact overpower a pedal? Im foggy on it all though.

3. bostjan

You can, but the power supply is constant voltage; variable current. If it's rated for 9VDC, it will always supply 9VDC. If it's rated for 1300 mA, it will supply up to 1300 mA, depending on what the pedal needs. So, if you connect a 24 VDC power supply, you'll fry the pedal from over voltage. If you connect a 3 VDC power supply, you'll fry the pedal from under-voltage (actually over current, since the pedal will ask for more and more power, as it's voltage-starved, and will receive that in the form of too much current).

4. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

What's that company that makes that thing and it's for guitar but it's like a piano sustain pedal...

Gamechanger audio!

[​IMG]

vilk and bostjan like this.
  5. bostjan

Never knew that existed. Now I want one!

EDIT: $329 USD...maybe not :lol:

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

It works wonderfully, I've had mine for about 14 months, I use it recording all the time.

budda and vilk like this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

Tym Guitars Big Mud Sustainar

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Pretty interesting. I just read the article about them on Tym's website, and it kinda makes me think that a Big Muff would have worked just fine for my purposes instead of the FreQout, what with these Big Mud pedals being clones of a Japanese clone of an Electro Harmonix Big Muff that was sold as a "sustainer pedal"... Also I'm a huge Boris fan. I've seen Wata's muff (I wish :lol:) collection on insta and she's got a ton of them, and a few of them are in fact those ELK brand MiJ clones, so now I really want to try one...

Oh well, too late. Fuggin FedEx decided that they should send my FreQout from IN to OH before it comes here to Chicago and each next day the delivery is pushed back another day. Lame. I better get it tomorrow !! >:[

Those ones that dudeman makes though are pretty steep, though, new ones already sold out, $300 for a used pedal that's a clone of a clone of a pedal you can buy for $70 new. Though, I suppose, Tym or Wata would argue that it is in fact far from the same thing. But the function does not appear to be altogether different despite that one pedal is labeled as "fuzz" and the other is labeled "sustainar".

Thank you for showing me!

edit: Holy shit if you want to buy an actual ELK instead of a Big Mud the price jumps to $800!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018