"sustain pedal" ?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Jun 11, 2018.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

They make a pedal for practically everything under the sun, so when searching for a sustain guitar pedal (if you search "sustain pedal" you'll get nothing but e-piano results) turns up basically nothing... well, what exactly does that mean? My guess is that sustain originates from the guitar physically, so you can't really do much about it with pre-amps or pedals? But then again, I happen to know that there's such things as sustainiac pickups and such... but again, that's not a pedal, and even though I'm very interested in these pups I am really kinda looking for a pedal solution, if there is one. I do take all my guitars to get pro set-ups, which I know is often recommended for improving sustain. After learning that high pickups can harm sustain I've double checked that they aren't too high... It could really be that my expectations are too high, as I listen to a lot of stoner/doom metal bands, and they are probably rockin all kinds of nutso pedals.

I've noticed that some pedals have "sustain" as a knob on there, specifically Big Muff Pi I know has it. I noticed that compression pedals seem to have sustain knobs as well.

Now, I am and have been interested in getting a Big Muff Pi; however I would like to be able to increase my sustain without necessarily fuzzing up the sound too much.

I'm not at this time particularly interested in a compression pedal, I don't play much "modern" sounding metal... (or am I mistaken for associating a compressed guitar sound with modern metal?) but can it help me get some sustain without compressing too much?

Any other pedals/ categories of pedals good for increasing sustain?

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Sustain without compression? Like without compression on the attack or without compression at all? Because increasing the volume of the decay of a note is a form of compression...

Or are you talking about the sustain function of a delay pedal?

Or maybe you are looking for a reverb effect?

The only other thing would be a sustainer. There are sustainer pickups, but there's a DIY option, if you know how to work an op-amp IC chip, you can wire an input to the input of the amp and then wire the output to an empty pickup coil placed under the strings, and you'll have a DIY sustainer pickup, but that's obviously not a pedal, but rather a mod.

EDIT: If you are okay with compression on the decay but not on the attack, you can just use a compressor and dial out the attack of the effect. :shrug:

IGC and vilk like this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

lol I guess I knew even less than I thought...

I mean to say that when I pick the note, it continues to ring out longer. For example, if I play a fretted note on my tele, that note isn't going to last 20 seconds. If I play the same note on my SG, that note is going to ring out 20-30 seconds. If I play the "same" note (position) on my jazz bass, that note is going to ring out for a full minute.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I think he understood what you mean, but I'm not sure how you could achieve that affect without a sustainer, compression, or faking it with a delay or looper or something. I don't think you could make a pedal to literally add sustain qualities to the instrument.

5. vilk

vilk Very Regular

It kinda sounds like the answer is a compression pedal. Hey man, if I can do as Bostjan says make it only affect the decay and not the attack, then theoretically it won't give me that overly-tight modern metal sound, right?

Curious of why we think that the compression pedal sustain will be more effective than the sustain knob on a fuzz pedal? Maybe it's obvious to you guys because you understand the physics of electricity and whatever but I'm clueless here...

6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't think of the "modern metal sound" as being the result of compression per-se. Compressors can do lots of things. Adding sustain can be one of those things. Technically, you'd have to sort of do the opposite - have the compressor kick in and bring the peak down to be closer to the decay, release fast enough not to affect any of the tail, and bring the overall volume up so that your peak is back where it started.

7. bostjan

A compressor is like a volume envelope on your signal. It takes the louder stuff and dims it down a little, and takes the softer stuff and beefs it up. I think what you want is just the second part of that, which any compressor above $100 or so should be able to independently do. The note won't sustain any longer, actually, it'll just stay louder while it's sustaining. If you want the note to keep playing after the sound from the guitar itself has stopped, that's an entirely different approach.

The sustain knob on, like, a big muff pi, is really just a gain knob. Boutique pedals sometimes have weird nomenclature for knobs.

If you take this thing:
    [​IMG]
    And crank up the sustain and crank down the attack, I think you should be golden.

As for the gated modern metal sound, I really think that what you might be thinking of is actually the effect of the noise gate activating and deactivating, which causes some choppiness in the dynamics. Noise gates have different settings to eliminate that effect, but that's a different pedal anyway.

TedEH and vilk like this.
  8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Guys, it exists, and you all dropped the ball :lol:

TedEH, vilk and bostjan like this.
  9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

fuck I should buy it right now

10. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Fuck Andy is such a dope guitar player. I forgot that channel existed

11. budda

Yes you should. Just bear in mind it runs at 230mA IIRC.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire gearwhoricus americanus

andy's demos are the tits. I bought my boneshaker because of his demo

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Does that mean I can't just use any old 9V adapter?

14. budda

I don't know what the general power output of a 9V is, so I can't answer that :shrug:

15. Sollipsist

Sollipsist SS.org Regular

Am I the only person who remembers the Boss FB-2 pedal?

It was a pretty big deal back in the day...

16. vilk

vilk Very Regular

That seems pretty cool too, but it looks like you gotta stomp it every time. I think today I'll be purchasing the freqout since that one you can sorta leave it on, or you can put it on stomp mode like the Boss

17. bostjan

Yeah 9V @ 235 mA (center negative) is the absolute minimum, with 1.3 A (1300 mA) recommended.

If it's IEC type A or Radio Shack type N, and the polarity is correct, the voltage is 9 VDC, and the capacity is at least 1300 mA, you should be alright.

18. bostjan

Yeah 9V @ 235 mA (center negative) is the absolute minimum, with 1.3 A (1300 mA) recommended.

If it's IEC type A or Radio Shack type N, and the polarity is correct, the voltage is 9 VDC, and the capacity is at least 1300 mA, you should be alright.

19. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

20. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I found on amazon a "bundle" selling it with a Pig Hog power supply that is only 1000mA. I know you already wrote that 235mA is the minimum, so 1000mA ought to work, but you said that 1300mA is "recommended". Does that mean the pedal will work "better" if I skip the bundle and buy specifically a 1300mA 9V adapter?

EDIT: nvm I'm just gonna get the digitech power source, do everything the right way for once lol

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018