Suggestions: BRIGHT, Tight bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BadSeed, Sep 27, 2018.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

It's definitely a screamin demon, and is labeled as such. I am wrong about the magnet, it is indeed an Alnico V. Always thought it was a II.

However, my assessment still remains the same. Maybe it was that particular guitar, but the pickup sounded soft in the bridge. Maybe I'll throw is in another and give it another chance.

2. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Maybe it was the guitar, I'm not familiar with Vs at all, I used the Demon in a super strat, so of course YMMV, but since you already have one it's a pretty cheap test.

3. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

So I spent some time dicking around with my guitars last night. Crazy how pickups can sound so different in different guitars. One of my favorite LP's has a Wolfetone MArshallhead in it. Belive it or now, these picups sound awesome under lots of gain. Clear, bright and punchy. I have the same pickup in a 61 SG Reissue, and it has a similar character, but sounds much flatter and the low end sounds soft. I still firmly believe pickups and guitars need to be matched, just like amps and speakers/cabs.

Any ways, was playing my washburn parallaxe last night, and forgot how much I like the Duncan JB. If you back it off the strings a little and raise the pole pieces, it's pretty damn bright, clears up a bit and is tight with the right amp, for sure. This has me curious to dive back into the world of Duncan stuff. I'm picking up a Black Winter tonight from a guy locally for $50, probably going to throw that in my Solo II platinum. Also thinking of grabbing a used set of nazguls off of ebay to throw in my Viper 500 Stealth.

I have a couple of CTS pickups measuring 560K, so I'll probably replace the volume pot in both guitars, and leave the tone pot unhooked. Should be plenty bright.