Suggestions: BRIGHT, Tight bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BadSeed, Sep 27, 2018.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

It's definitely a screamin demon, and is labeled as such. I am wrong about the magnet, it is indeed an Alnico V. Always thought it was a II.

However, my assessment still remains the same. Maybe it was that particular guitar, but the pickup sounded soft in the bridge. Maybe I'll throw is in another and give it another chance.

2. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Maybe it was the guitar, I'm not familiar with Vs at all, I used the Demon in a super strat, so of course YMMV, but since you already have one it's a pretty cheap test.

3. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

So I spent some time dicking around with my guitars last night. Crazy how pickups can sound so different in different guitars. One of my favorite LP's has a Wolfetone MArshallhead in it. Belive it or now, these picups sound awesome under lots of gain. Clear, bright and punchy. I have the same pickup in a 61 SG Reissue, and it has a similar character, but sounds much flatter and the low end sounds soft. I still firmly believe pickups and guitars need to be matched, just like amps and speakers/cabs.

Any ways, was playing my washburn parallaxe last night, and forgot how much I like the Duncan JB. If you back it off the strings a little and raise the pole pieces, it's pretty damn bright, clears up a bit and is tight with the right amp, for sure. This has me curious to dive back into the world of Duncan stuff. I'm picking up a Black Winter tonight from a guy locally for $50, probably going to throw that in my Solo II platinum. Also thinking of grabbing a used set of nazguls off of ebay to throw in my Viper 500 Stealth.

I have a couple of CTS pickups measuring 560K, so I'll probably replace the volume pot in both guitars, and leave the tone pot unhooked. Should be plenty bright.

Alex79 likes this.
  4. Fortin Worship

Fortin Worship SS.org Regular

Duncan sh-5 or sh-14 would probably be a good choice.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I had them both and I don't find them tight. Bright, sure. Especially the sh14. But they're not the tightest.

Fortin Worship likes this.
  6. Fortin Worship

Fair enough. I'm thinking tight in an Ola Englund kinda way (a lot of that is due to his amp I guess) . Maybe some don't consider that particularly tight anyway.

lewis likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

It's weird because I expected it to be tight since he used it for a good while, and I think the Solar pickup is based on the SH-14. But I tried it and it just feels kinda mushy. It has a SUPER bright, almost stratty twangy high end, but the low end felt kinda muddy with palm mutes. The really scooped midrange probably plays a part in that.

AkiraSpectrum and Fortin Worship like this.
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

yeah it definitely has a bumped up low end and high end. I never liked the custom or custom 5 much until I used them with a ts boost, then they really tightened up.

9. Fortin Worship

The custom 5 is pretty tight in my ec-1000. I do use a boost as well. I also swapped the mag for an alnico 8 but it felt too stiff and the midrange was odd. I haven't tried the original custom or custom custom yet.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

I posted this in the Black Winter thread, but yeah, I'm recommending it now. :lol:

SO much tighter than the Custom 5 OR regular custom I tried. I really recommend it. It's tight, bright, and aggressive.

Fortin Worship, KailM and Zoobiedood like this.
  11. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

IDK... Bill Steer from Carcass has pretty good luck with a Duncan '59 in the bridge. That's still pretty "vintage" though.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  12. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

I'm gonna jump in and recommend the DiMazrio Dominion. Potentially the tightest Dimarzio I have ever owned. A lot brighter than you'd expect too. So much so that it was a bit too tight for my tastes. Ended up replacing with my good old Tone Zone.

BadSeed likes this.
  13. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I have 59's in my 08 lp traditional. They're very tight, I dig them as well .

14. Fortin Worship

OK so I just got the EC black metal which comes stock with the 'blackened winter' .

I'm sold on ceramic pups again. So much so that I pulled the custom 5 out of my ec 1000 Koa and put a nazgul I there. I'm quite honestly not sure yet which one I like best between the Nazgul and black winter. They both sound huge.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

Both are great pickups, but the bw is a bit more versatile imo. I ended up preferring the bw since I play a little bit of everything, but if I was playing pure br00tz, I'd go nazgul again.
    the bw has more low end than the nazgul and a grindier midrange, which really makes it sound massive in a slab of mahogany. nazgul works well in mahoghany since it smooths out the spiky upper mids ime.

16. Fortin Worship

I agree what your assessment. I thought the BW would be hotter, but I'm not sure. The nazgul breaks up easier on cleans and may be a tad more saturated. I know DCR doesn't tell the whole story but it was still surprising.

17. KnightBrolaire

yeah, for whatever reason people keep associating DCR with output. that's fake news, Millivolts or henries are better indicators of actual output. DCR just gives you an idea of whether the pickup has a lot of higher gauge (ie thinner) wire wrapped around it (although very thick wire can also bump it up). There are some attributes you can ballpark with DCR though, very generally speaking the more DCR there is then the more the high end gets attenuated.
    The BW definitely cleans up better ime. Neither pickup is exactly low output, but compared to stuff like the parallel axis distortion (which will slam the shit out of the front of your amp with its output) they're more like med-high output ime.