Suggestions: BRIGHT, Tight bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BadSeed, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Great suggestions by the SSO people. I'll add one not mentioned already from my personal experience the Omega Cerberus. I have it in a guitar in drop C and combines the attributes of being tight but without feeling congested and also sounding quite bright without being ear piercing. It's also not over the top high output.
    Another suggestion is the Seymour Duncan Alternative 8 that Lure mentioned. Tight, bright and articulate but quite musical at the same time.

2. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Just checked their site, and a review video on ebay of the Basilisk and cerebrus, and both sounded like exactly what I'm going for. I know there's a lot more to it than just the pickup, but tight and bright were the first 2 attributes that came to mind. Super interested in these now, thanks for the suggestion!

3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I have the Basilisk set too but from the two bridge pickups I prefer the Cerberus. The Basilisk while having high frequencies and is articulate it also has a more pronounced bass response and sounds more focused while the Cerberus is more open sounding. Both sound great but for my ears I lime the Cerberus a bit more. I did upload a few clips with my crappy playing in a thread I did about these pickups and a set of Mojotone pickups and you gen get an idea for both. The Basilisk is in D standard though and all pickups are in different guitars. I'm planning to shift these around in other guitars to hear how they behave but I haven't had the time.

EDIT: Here's the link and excuse my crappy playing. I tried to play some things on the spit while I should have rehearsed some specific parts.
    http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/...lisks-and-omega-cerberus-bridge-clips.330825/

4. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Whaaat!! I just ordered them for a very light and trebblish guitar, can you confirm?

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

nah it's not that bright ime

chopeth likes this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Thank god, I ordered it thinking it is a Juggernaut without the cooked wah mids thing

7. KnightBrolaire

yeah it's basically a tamed jugg ime. it has a touch of the cocked wah mids but they're not anywhere near as present as with the juggs or aftermath.

chopeth likes this.
  8. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

It has been a while since i last played with aftermaths, but i have ragnaroks and i usually add some treble when playing with them. I wouldn't describe them as very bright.

9. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

What about the Duncan Screamin' Demon? It's been a while since I've used one but IIRC, it is bright and has a nice tight chunk on the lows.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Start with the classics...

Dimarzio Evolution or the SD Full Shred. Both great pickups, if you like one you probably like both. They have very similar playability although the FS is alnico5 and has a more open top. The evo almost feels and sounds like A5 even tho its ceramic.. both have amazing harmonics.

You really should know what these sound like before moving on.

Ivars V likes this.
  11. Ivars V

Ivars V SS.org Regular

Another vote for SD Full Shred. Great, great pickup! Really tight if needed.

12. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

I just pulled one out of a Gibson V. The low end was a bit on the soft side. Alnico II mag is probably the culprit

13. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Like I said in a quote before, I dig the fullshred for sure, it's both bright and tight, but there is something about the mid focus/lack of mids that I just don't love.

The Evo on the other hand has been on my list for a LONG time, but I've never pulled the trigger. I was actually watching one on eBay that ended yesterday, and forgot to throw a bid in on it.

What are people's thoughts on the Dimarzio Dominion? I've heard its akin to a tighter and brighter Duncan JB. I love the JB, just don't love the muddiness and slight flubbiness of the lows.

14. KnightBrolaire

I never found the dominion to be much like a JB. I like to think of it more as a tweaked titan (which is honestly the closest sounding barring the high end). It's got a good amount of output, cleans up decently, and has pretty good clarity. It also has a quite tight low end, pretty mid heavy voicing, with a brighter high end. I have a demo video of the dominion bridge if you're interested.

BadSeed likes this.
  15. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I dont remember the FS lacking mids, but it may come down to which guitar you are using. The evo is a bit thicker than the Full Shred, although as pickups they do about the same things. I like both of them. The Evo has that dimarzio modern sound going on, the Full Shred is a bit more classic, a bit brighter. I can do my thing with either of them.

All of my guitars now have either Evo or D-sonic in the bridge. I haven't played any other humbuckers for a long time.

16. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I didn't find the Evo bright but it was thick and really high output. Down to C though it was mud city. Too much output and much low mids and lows. I had it almost all the way down abd anything more techy was ine big mush. Great chugs though. For E standard though a great pickup.

17. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

100x this

Voice 1 of the Fishman KSE cuts a ton of low end and has LOADS of attack.

And that pickup is unbelievably tight. It starts and stops like you have a noise gate built into your guitar.

TheShade0110 likes this.
  18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Yeah, my experience as well. I remember going back and seeing people call it the quintessential passive version of an EMG 81. Fuck no, the EMG is MUCH tighter and brighter. :lol: Same experience with the D-Activator. I've had much better luck with the D-sonic, although it's missing some brightness that OP's looking for.

Kinda wondering how good the Kiesel Lithiums are. People seem to complain about their brightness. And this talk about the Dominion being bright piques my interest.

Edika likes this.
  19. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

I haven't found the Kiesel Lithiums super bright. I use them in a few guitars and they, along with the SD JB7 are my go to pickups. Either will do. Odd though as they are supposedly quite different pickups, but through my setup and how I like pickups to respond to my picking, they are quite similar. Lithium is definitely brighter and tighter though. Never harsh though and they just work for me. I used to quite like the Dimarzio Evo 7s, but lately they just seem to be too hot for how my setup is dialed in.

20. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

Sounds like you pulled a Pearly Gates out of a LP. The Screamin' Demon has a A5 mag and, based on memory, the lows were not what I would consider soft.