Suggestions: BRIGHT, Tight bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BadSeed, Sep 27, 2018.

1. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Ok folks, I've recently gotten an itch to try some new, more modern pickups out.

Truthfully, I'm a Gibson guy, and most of my guitars have some sort of 498t/500t, or hot rodded PAF style pickup in the bridge. All of these work fine for my thrash metal band, but the PAF's don't really do so hot for my drop C hardcore band.

This week, I went on a guitar buying spree, pciked up a Schecter Solo 6 ATX, an LTD Viper 500 stealth and a Washburn Parallaxe 10. The washburn has jazz/jb pickups in it, which used to be my go to when I was starting out, so I'll keep those.

What I like: I generally gravitate towards bright guitars and pickups. The 498t with a 550K pot in a les paul gets pretty damn bright. PAF copies usually are evern brighter. So what's a bright and clear pickup in the modern spectrum?

Things I know I don't like: EMG 81/85, Duncan Blackouts, Dimarzio Titans, Duncan Custom series
    Things I know I do like: Lace Finger Burners & Dissonant Aggressors, Bareknuckle Nailbombs and painkillers

Hopefully that helps with suggestions. I have a million amps, but to make things easy, say these are going through a Diezel Herbert and a 5150 III 100 watt

2. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

Aftermath

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I play a lot of metalcore/hardcore on my main guitar, which is a fairly bright sounding Carvin TL60 tuned to drop B. I have a Dimarzio Dominion in the bridge and I can't imagine ever changing it out. The super high high end is a bit chopped off, but it still offers great clarity and attack. Super thick in the mids, tight low end, and it responds well to your picking hand as far as digging in for chugs and riffing.

On the BKP side, if you already like the Nailbomb, I would check out the Rebel Yell bridge :yesway: the RY is more or less an underwound A-Bomb with a lot more attack/higher mids, tighter low end, and better clarity. I've owned both and preferred the RY by a wide margin in the same 7620. I tuned as low as G with the RY, which it handled it like a champ. It gets plenty aggressive if you dig in with your right hand, but if you pick lightly it does the job of any other hot rodded PAF no problem.

BadSeed and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

Black Winters

#first

mpexus likes this.
  5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

not bright enough, def tight enough.
    that being said:
    dimarzio dsonic
    prs metal
    lundgren m6
    painkillers
    black dog
    instrumental sfty3
    elysian trident 1 and 2
    rebel yell
    dimarzio evo
    duncan custom 5
    distortion
    omega
    :D

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

People shit on the pickup because it's the stock pickup in most of this company's models and it's not a middle-of-the-road-good-for-most-things pickup...but you specifically requested "bright" "clear" and "more modern", which are exactly the words you'll see used to describe the Kiesel Lithium, sometimes to a fault.

Since SOOOO many people swap them out because they are so bright and sometimes overwhelmingly articulate, you should be able to readily find some at a decent price, in multiple bobbin colors and string counts.

Hollowway and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  7. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

+10 on the above post.

The lithium in my swamp ash/ maple is briiiiiiiiight. Definitely tight but it is almost eye piercingly bright if your not careful lol

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  8. TheShade0110

TheShade0110 SS.org Regular

Bright Drop C Hardcore? Sounds like what the Fishman Fluence KSE set was made for.

Fishman lineup in general should be pretty good for Drop C stuff, even the Classics(said to sound like a tighter/more refined JB).

Flappydoodle likes this.
  9. NateFalcon

NateFalcon Party’s over

Duncan Dimebucker (or Lawrence l500xl) sounds right in the wheelhouse...

IGC and devastone like this.
  10. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

aftermath/cold sweat

BadSeed likes this.
  11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I was going to suggest the Painkiller, because it fits with your description very well and its not too far from the Gibson 500T.

12. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

Alternative 8

BadSeed likes this.
  13. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Ragnarok - significantly brighter than the Aftermath. Plus: almost Tele-like split clean sound...

14. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. A lot ofthese pickups have been on my radar for a while, I just haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet. Specifically, the Cold Sweat, Rebel Yell, Alt 8 and Dominion.

The fluence have been on my radar as well, but they're pricey and I'm cheap. I'm sure I'll get some loaded up eventually.

I'll also take note of the Kiesel Lithiums. Not a fan of their guitars (Just because I like them dad style fiddles) but I have heard a few in action at shows (always through 5153 mini's, of course) and they sound damn good.

15. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Another thing I should mention about the lithium’s is they react very differently depending on the type of amp you’re using too. Through my 5153 which is very compressed and bright/ begin with, I have to readjust the eq from the previous guitar I used. Through a more open, fatter amp like my KSR I found it actually tightens the amp a bit without having to dive into my OD pedal or amp settings if I don’t want to.

FWIW I have a BKP rebel yell in my PRS which I love and it seems to do just about everything extremely well. Tight for metal but responsive enough to jam out AC/DC or hot blues licks. Probably the most versatile pickup I own.

BadSeed likes this.
  16. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The brightest passive Duncans are the Full Shreds.

devastone likes this.
  17. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

They're have a lot of top end, but they have kind of a scooped sound with more of a low mid focus in my experience, I've owned a few. I like the pickup, but don't love it.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. BadSeed

BadSeed SS.org Regular

Rebel yell is now on my short list, since I tend to like more open, classic sounding pickups in general.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. rifftrauma

rifftrauma Trapped in time...

Black Hawks

20. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

+1 for the CS, it's pretty tight with the ceramic mag, although I think the RY is a bit more versatile.

The neck CS is a beast though :)