Studio monitors / Yamaha hs8 worth it?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by BurnInNeverland, May 14, 2016.

1. BurnInNeverland

BurnInNeverland SS.org Regular

I am currently using some $150 JBL 5" monitors that I'm looking to upgrade from. I've been looking at the Yamaha HS8 monitors due to their high reputation in the industry and very flat frequency response. I'm also not using a sub for the time being and foreseeable future and the 8's will give some better bass. May use them as a practice situation as well for playing through my axe fx II to dial tones and in the case that my cab and rig is at practice space for my band.

Anyone out there that owns these that can give their input? Anybody tried them but found something they liked better?

2. ambler3

ambler3 SS.org Regular

That would be a sidegrade really, not an upgrade.
    Plus they are far from flat.
    When i was in NYC, I went to a GC and tried out a bunch of monitors (Adams, JBLs, Yamahas, Mackies..you name it) in the 200-700 dollar range, listening for two things. Clarity & Bass response. I found many monitors either muddy, had a midrange I disliked, but what I found shocking was the lack of any bass in HS7s.
    From that test the JBLs you have and the Adam A7/5x were my favourites, with the genlecs being good but having a bit too much low end.

Fast forward to now, and i've recently picked up some Adam A7xs which I am very pleased with so far, but I still need to set them up and learn them.
    That is key with any monitoring system, and even room you mix in, you need to take some time to LEARN how they respond and how your mixes translate to other systems.

Out of interest, why do you feel the need for an upgrade?

3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

How's your acoustic treatment? I say this because I got some HS8s and they're great, I'm perfectly happy with them.

But the day a couple of weeks after I got the monitors when I put some broadband absorbers up in the corners of my studio, I swear listening to Jackie Mcleans solo on "Tensions" by Mingus brought a tear to my eye, it was like listening to music for the first time.

Oh just to add, the HS8s are MASSIVE and recommend being placed over a meter from the wall because of rear ports. Of course you won't just buy a pair without looking at how big they are like I did :p

4. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

For $50 more per speaker would be making a much wiser choice with the Focal Alpha 65's.

Rev.

5. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Been happy with mine for years.

But they do benefit very much from treatment as they're revealing. They aren't flat, but they do give great insight into what your mix is actually doing.

6. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

I have the Yamaha HS8 Studio Monitors, in white, I was taken shopping buy a friend and audio engineer that I do a lot of session work for, and him I auditioned a whole bunch of monitors that where under my budget for monitors, on my budget for monitors, just over my budget for monitors and well over my budget for monitors, and we honestly found these to be the best 'middle field' monitors around for the money, so good that if I decide to buy 'near field' monitors I may just go with the Yamaha HS5.

My mate has then in his studio, but he has several sets of different 'near field, 'middle field' and 'far field' audio monitors in his control room for mixing and comparing the sound of the mix through different sets of audio monitors, his also has dozens of ear phones for comparing the sound of his mixes as well.

7. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I have the HS8s and I love em. I've been using them for a couple years, and I don't see the need to replace them.

8. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i also got the HS8 and after giving them a first listen i thought i´m also listening to my
    mixes for the first time. they took the mistakes and threw them straight at my face.
    great mixing tools. they definitely helped me to step up my game.

9. mikolo

mikolo SS.org Regular

I have hs7's. I love em to death.

10. Lax

Lax SS.org Regular

I only have 2 HS7 and am really happy of it !
    They are far more flat than several monitors like KRK and I'm not missing that much bass, it helps to have a clear view of the mix.
    By the way, due to rear vents, place and tweaking are keys !