Strings for Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8 28"

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Dmitry_Pankov, May 27, 2018.

1. Dmitry_Pankov

Dmitry_Pankov SS.org Regular

Hello everybody! I apologize in advance for my English.
    I have a Schecter Blackjack SLS C-8 Crimson Red with a 28 "scale.

Now I use Ernie Ball strings 10-74, but it seems to me that the first three strings have a lot of tension, and if we take Ernie Ball 09-80, we'll get a weak tension of 5 and 6 strings.
    I also have a problem with the 8 string, namely, that it is too short and the working part of the string ends before the nut.

I would like to ask you what strings you use on the Schecter Blackjack and the 28" scale?" The preferred system is half a tone below the standard one. I would like to play such songs as After the burial.

In Justin's instragram there is a photo where can see which strings he used on his Ibanez 27".These are the custom strings of La Bella 09-11-16-24w-32-42-56-76T. But I do not quite understand how the 4-7 strings will they behave on such a scale? Is not that too little ?

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

9-80 is fantastically balanced , the 10-74 6 string portion is a "heavy bottom" set, i.e. heavy middle on an 8 string. Doesn't really make any sense. It has tight trebles on a long scale like you said, a reasonable low B, a loose loose 8th string, and a super tight EAD.
    9-80 is a very logical progression of a regular feel. I would try them and see what you think.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Dmitry_Pankov likes this.
  3. Dmitry_Pankov

Dmitry_Pankov SS.org Regular

Thank you very much! Indeed, I will try to use set 09-80. If my brass nut was made under the strings 10-74, would this be a problem? As I understand it, I need to expand the slot for the 8 string.

4. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

It may need widening slightly. The string itself usually makes a good file for the nut, but I admit I have not tried that on brass. Various abrasives make it quite an easy job, just make sure you are only filing it wider, so the bottom can contact, not deeper