String Tension Super Thread (Got a string question? Post it here!)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by MaxOfMetal, Sep 29, 2010.

1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Okee I should try this myself... Thank you T3T

WintermintP

2. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

Hi guys! I've got a Epiphone MKH 7 String Signature and I'm trying to tune in Standard G# and sometimes drop the 6th string to have Drop B tuning on the higher 6 strings.

I was using Ernie Ball's .56-.12 in my Epiphone LP standard (24.75") to tune in Drop B. What gauges should I use on my 7 string knowing that it still uses 24.75"?.

I went to my local luthier and he recommend me to use a Ernie Ball's .54-.11 plus an extra .64 for my 7th string, but before playing with those for a week it feels really weird, like it lacks some presence or "fatty" bass sounds.

3. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

For such a short scale I'd take at least a .070 for the G#. I use a .070 for G on a 25.5 scale.

Mathemagician likes this.
  4. Droontar

Droontar SS.org Regular

And what about the others? Should I stick on using .54-.11?

5. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

For tuning to B standard on a 24.75” scale length guitar, is .12 to .52 good? I’d think .52 would be kinda smol.

6. lurè

lurè extended range pizza

On a 6 string I'd personally go for something like .13-.60.
    On a regular 25.5" a .59 for the low B is fine but for a 24.75" I'd start with a .60 at least.

7. lurè

I've got two 7 string guitars , the first is 27" scale and the second is 26.5". Both are tuned to drop G (GDGCFAD).
    The current strings for both guitars are 11-53+74 but I dont like the tension at all: too much tension that I can't even adjust the truss rod to have a decently straight neck with low action.
    I would like suggestions for a set of strings that can be good for both guitars.

I was thinking to go for a 10-52+70 set and I checked daddario string tension calculator with the following results:
    26.5.jpg
    26.5.jpg 27.jpg
    Tension seems quite umbalanced. Am I missing something?

PS: Playing-wise I don't have an heavy hand on strings so I was looking for a medium-light string set.

8. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You'll have gotten the octave number wrong in the middle there resulting in the 4lbs haha, but apart from that , you aren't missing anything no. Most sets are very imbalanced especially once you get above the typical 9-42 and 10-46. You will generally want the trebles lighter than the basses mind, so don't consider that so much of an imbalance. A perfect set to me looks something like balanced plains and balanced wounds around 3-5lbs heavier.
    I don't mind the A and D being tighter personally as long as the low E is still tight enough. You'll have to go custom if you want to correct that imbalance. And if you want the low G as tight as the octave G, you need to double the gauge (eg 88 with 44). No need to go that tight but I do recommend at least getting it as tight as the 2nd string at the 18lb mark.

9. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

@lurè thank you, I figured that would be about right. I found the d’addario Baritone set going .13 to .62

Winspear and lurè like this.
  10. lurè

Thanks for the reply, I've tried to balance strings as you suggested and came up with something like this:
    as.jpg
    Maybe 038 on 5th string would be better (18.65 lb).
    7th string is 070 -> 15.45 lb 074 ->17.1 lb

11. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Excellent set, 72 or 74 is definitely a good idea I think. The 72 should be just about tight enough to feel uniform and give you a bit more brightness :) And indeed I don't think they sell 37s anyway

lurè likes this.
  12. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

Lol had a bad time fitting a .62 through a Spertzel. It took forever to get it to where I could unwind enough of the string to get it into the tuner peg.

lurè and Winspear like this.