String gauge selection for low drop tuning

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Dalcan, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Dalcan

Dalcan SS.org Regular

Sup all- been awhile. Looking for suggestions on string gauge for Drop F# on a 34" bass. I know I should get something fanned, or longer scale, but unfortunately that isn't in the cards at the moment.

2. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

F# is doable on 34", with good strings (hint: Kalium). You'll need a top loading bridge.
    'Drop' as in lowest interval is a fifth?
    What gauges do you prefer for standard tuning? Otherwise we don't know your preferred tension.

3. saved

saved SS.org Regular

I jave use rotosound drop zone with .175 for F# in 34" scale bass and i had no problem

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Although i should mention some have tried the Rotosound .175 and not been impressed. Not sure if it still does but it once had an excessively long tapered section that would affect harmonicity.
    The quality of the string becomes very important at very low tunings, so i recommend at least trying a Kalium, if even just a single F# to try out first.
    Kalium actually sell drop tuning sets in a wide range of gauges, here's the 34"/35" 5 string sets, but they are available for any number of strings and also in steel https://store.kaliummusic.com/index...une-tension/standard-scale/5-string-sets.html

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

I would recommend a Kalium ~185 - pretty important to hit that 40lbs tension it would provide as a minimum in such low tunings to minimize noise, I find. 175 would be comparable to a 95 E, for reference.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    EverDream likes this.