Strat/tele fretless 30,8" baritone

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by mister V, May 21, 2018.

1. mister V

mister V Low frequencies obsession syndrome

All three previous fretless projects were just experiments, so none of them are safe and sound at the moment. Found "safe and sound" in google translate - I mean "alive and well", I try to learn some new words when write something here... All were disasembled long time ago. I don't have any recordings. And I don't know who use such things to post here their clips :)
    But soon I will shoot a video (and record some sounds with tube amp, 2x12 cab, mic and external soundcard) for you all who is now interested in this project.
    Wipe-on poly cures really fast, and at the moment I think that 3-4 coats will be enough. I am not really satisfied with the first coat, body and neck now have too "candy" looks, so the next time I think I will use just oil. But I need to check how wipe-on poly will look like after 3-4 coats, light wet-sanding and very light polishing.

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That's a very understandable, yet slightly unorthodox use of the idiom. The saying is rooted in French "sauve et sain," and means that a person is unharmed and out of danger. For example: "The old helicopter needed a lot of maintenance, from the look of it, but it still got everyone to the airstrip safe and sound." So, normally, it's used when referring to a person or to people, but it can be used metaphorically as well; an instance with which native speakers will be familiar is referring to money. "He had invested in KMart, but luckily, he moved his money before the stock plummeted, and now it's safe and sound in a savings account." But something said like that is perhaps a strange sort of emphasis, because one could simply use the descriptor "safe," seeing as how using "sound" metaphorically to mean safe is redundant. Normally "sound" in that sort of context means uninjured, whereas "safe" means out of danger.
    You can use it a lot like "alive and well," but there is a subtle difference in meaning between "safe" and "alive," where one means not in danger and the other means not dead. I suppose being dead would be the aftermath of being in danger and having bad luck.

If you took the other instruments apart, you might say that they were "scrapped" (taken apart and either cannibalized for parts or discarded).

Anyway...
    I think these projects look super cool. I admire the brave approach toward design and materials in particular.

mister V and LiveOVErdrive like this.
  3. mister V

Wow! Thank you very much for all this information regarding "alive and well" and "safe and sound"! Now I can say that I really learned something new today!

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Any progress recently?

5. mister V

I have bad news for those who waited to hear the sounds of this project - I'm sorry, I f*d up the finishing work (many mistakes, including too dusty room, cold weather, too thin coat of wipe-on poly, ... :facepalm: ), so I will take a break of this thing. I will post in this thread as soon as I return to this project.