Strandberg Boden os 7: Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dredg, Aug 27, 2017.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It's a pros and cons thread. It'd feel really weird if something had nothing but pros.

Anyhow, someone asked about the Goliath bridges and they are actually hipshots. So i was wrong about that. But then he also said that Asian Strandbergs use asian made hardware...that sounds not really right. I emailed strandberg about that. See what they say.

They haven't really changed the mockups on their website either to use the new hardware...I'm wondering if they had hipshot make them a custom angled headpiece. There was a thread on their group page a while ago where Perry was basically like if you make a multi scale guitar and the end of the fretboard is straight but the nut is fanned you are just a lazy pos...but then the goliath custom shops have that exact setup whoops.

Whatever, honestly, ease of action adjustment, intonation, and tuning can be seen as cons but I hardly think they are deal breakers. The hipshot standard adjustable saddle design is really awesome in terms of ease of use and their headless system uses that same saddles. That being said...plenty of european companies like use the ABM single saddles and schaller hannes for regular guitars and those things are a pain in the ass as well. Especially the abm when adjusting intonation.

The abm headless system is much better then their regular bridge. Mera is great for headless and t4m is pretty good too but you're really not going to see that in guitars under 3k.

what I suggest is just make more money and then buy one of everything.

2. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

As far as I know, all Strandbergs use the same Swedish made hardware, that's what they said when they released the production line. So the bridge on a MIK Boden for example is exactly the same as the one you'd find on a CS one.

It absolutely has its pros and cons as it's been said, and I agree with most of those points, but what is undeniable is that it's a really well crafted system. Adjusting some things might be a bit more complex than with other bridges, other things are easier, but in the end as it's been said it's a matter of preference and finding comfort (or lack of it) when using it. As far as headless systems go, I'm no expert and I've yet to try some Mera and T4M hardware, but despite a couple of aspects that could still be improved the Strandberg system is still the best one I've tried IMO.

3. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You unlock the screw that holds the saddle in place, then rotate it up/down, then lock it back down, put the string back on and tune it then check if the action feels right. On other bridge designs you don't have to detune and remove the string from the saddle to adjust the height and have finer control over the height than what Strandberg offers. The anodized finish seemed to wear easily on the edges where it is probably pretty thin.

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thats because its a lot of work to make a bridge from 0 in a 3D model. And since the current 3D mockups works jsut fine to ilustrate the shape and color, then theres not much point to do all that work.

I help them with the photo real mockups, but I need real photos to work and layer them. Since theres no Goliaths GTRs made yet, I cant use the custom one photos as the hardware and "headstock" would be different. thats why theres only 3D models

As for the "headstock" I have no idea whats the plan there. I know hipshot is designing an angled locking nut for them for future models that use a floyd in a semi-multiscale. So I guess there should be a neat better locking headpiece than the prototypes customs. Whats Kiesel using for their multiscale vaders? is their headpiece still hipshot too?

5. diagrammatiks

Yes, Kiesel the standard hipshot hardware with a straight headpiece and an angled nut. It's fine honestly. I prefer the look of a angled headpiece on headless guitars...like the strandberg or the skervesen skerveten or the mockups of the goliaths. But I prefer a straight fretboard on my headstock guitars.

It's just funny because of the thread where perry was like that's lazy.

Although I might be a little miffed if the production goliaths have come with a straight headpiece...the photos in the sales section have had angled headpieces for like a year.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh I know what you mean I rahter to be clean and go with the angle, but it doesnt look bad with the vaders,

also that post was regarding the fretboards, like what Ibanez do for example in their multiscales, were they have a little triangle of fretboard behind the nut before the headstock.

Like I said the 3D models of the Goliaths were made ages ago at that point they were going with the other hardware. No idea what would be the deal with the head piece tho. Just a couple of months more and we would find out :)

7. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

Action adjustment might require a step more or two, if that's a dealbreaker fo someone who messes with the action every day then so be it. To me thanks to the set screws it makes the saddles more stable than on most typical designs, and the bridge doesn't need walls around it to keep traditional saddles from shifting :) As for the finish wear - I personally haven't experienced it, maybe someone can post some pics how that looks? Anyways even if it does wear eventually it will not rust like most other hardware.

8. diagrammatiks

meh. Perry replied that the headpiece will be straight and an angled nut like on the custom shops. I hope these goliaths are really good...
    I ordered because of the mockup...i could have just bought an overload themis. why.
    Oh well.

9. channie

channie SS.org Regular

I'm also from the Ormsby group and actually this picture was a protoype hipshot way back in Febuary 2017, not sure how the final bridge would look like

but i hope they find some way to cover the springs though

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

yeah it would look cleaner with the faceplate that the regular hipshot bridge has.

11. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

My Boden came in early. Picked it up today. First impression is that I like it. It's very loud acoustically and from the bit of fiddling I did in the store it's a very articulate guitar. I like the Fluence Moderns more in this axe than the KSM7 I used to have.

I should spend a bit more time w it before saying more.

12. diagrammatiks

I got confirmation from ed that all their hardware for all their guitars is custom made in Korea.

13. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I ordered the Mera Submarine 3 mod2 bridge(s) and ovalock head pieces a couple weeks ago from Dmitry; so I’ll chime in, once I get them, with direct comparisons between them and Strandberg’s design, form, and functionality.