Strandberg Boden os 7: Pros and Cons?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Dredg, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Although I have an Ormsby Goliath headed my way in November, I'm in the market for a second headless 7 string. I've contemplated getting a second Goliath, but I also found this lefty Strandberg on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/4590306-strandberg-boden-7-os-left-handed-2015-purple-with-flame-top

I'd love to hear the community's thoughts on Strandberg's Boden line, both the good and the bad.

For context, I own an Ormsby 6 and have no complaints about the multiscale spread or the neck.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I wouldn't buy a 2015 rosewood without being able to inspect it and return it if necessary.

Dredg likes this.
  3. Dredg

Did that run have problems?

4. diagrammatiks

they are just really inconsistent. I mean if your willing to spend a bit of money on top of the asking price to get a fret level and a setup if necessary then it's fine I guess.

5. Dredg

I've already talked to the seller and it seems sketchy. As-Is sale as well... but I've never seen a lefty strandberg hit the market before.

6. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

I had a '16 os7 with lace pickups. I was a very nice one. Very comfortable, although endure neck didn't feel "amazing". I played normal the same way I usually do with all my others guitars.
    I sold it because I had too many guitars(yes, it is possible...) and a friend of mine wanted to buy one strandberg without paying the almost 2k.
    They are ok, light, something that is very important to lot of people. Some flaws I noticed in mine:
    -Nut were not "in line" and the first string goes crooked->Extra tension for the string. I had to adusted it.
    -Electronics. I am sorry, but the wiring was badly done. Like any 500 cheap guitar and the coverplate had the holes wrong, not matching with the body. Very disappointing.

Dredg and marcwormjim like this.
  7. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I had one of the lefties from that run. I sold mine as I couldn't really click with it. I ran into some issues with it as well.

I have a lefty Oakland axe factory 7 string headless for sale for less then the strandy. It's all hand built. Selling due to not being a 7 guy, I'll be building the same guitar in a 6 string version. Pm if your interested.

8. Dredg

If it's the one on Reverb, it's very tempting. Not a fan of the boxy hipshot, but still very tempting. Is it a Drinkwater build?

9. PAINGVR

PAINGVR SS.org Regular

I had a nice blue one (OS7) with EMGX's. The neck felt great at the nut end but when you follow it down to the neck joint, the flat surface is close to the bottom strings. Not leaving much meat to grab onto when playing on the small E. When I did the old school thumb over the top down at the heel, the neck edges felt like pressure points. I would really dig the guitar if they would opt for a round neck version (stock). The EMGX's sounded really nice and the guitar is light and easy to manage. Although, for the price I would hope for a better top. Some of the OS versions have really poor quilt/flame in my opinion. - Hope this helps. :2c:
    \m/

10. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Sadly, the (more expensive, non-OS) CL7 was their round-neck option - Hopefully, some will sell on Reverb and Ola and Ed will notice.

11. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

I just ordered one of the "Boden Original 7" models on Saturday. I think they might be a bit different from the OS models. I'll let you know how it is when it shows up.

Dredg likes this.
  12. marcwormjim

Looking forward to an honest review - We've had some really embarrassing ones here to do with guys ejaculating all over the board about their four hour-old Strandys without even looking at the thing: They send the defective axe back for a refund, and their glowing non-reviews stay up to mislead the curious googler.

zero_end, morbidus and KnightBrolaire like this.
  13. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Hopefully, you are here to remind people in EVERY thread about Strandberg that you hate them and they are crap and not Worth their prices.... :shrug:

Konfyouzd likes this.
  14. marcwormjim

How does that relate to what you quoted? You were offended by who made the post; so use the ignore feature - That way you won't have to endure occasionally scrolling past a Strandberg owner with less-than-stellar words to say about the brand in threads soliciting "pros and cons" thoughts from Strandberg owners.

15. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

It seems that for some reason you absolutely can't conceive that just because there are some lemons out there doesn't mean every other one can't be good? Is there a need to call happy owners blind on every thread? Because it's getting a bit tiring and honestly I don't get it.

To keep it short, everyone can read my honest review on the other thread last month and I still stand by it, word by word. Aside from a couple minor finish flaws on the top (both barely noticeable, nowhere near enough to send it back at all), my Plini sig has been pretty much stellar. Finish is great though not perfect, but in terms of tone and playability it's definitely the best guitar I've owned so far, so it's worth the price IMO.

I'd like to see more reviews though, since it seems like there are still some lemons out there, but the general consensus seems to be far more positive this year.

16. marcwormjim

I made no mention of you or your review; so I don't see the point in derailing a curious buyer's thread just to dogpile that you're...tired of not getting it. As I suggested above: the ignore feature will spare you of the sense that a fellow Boden owner is attacking you by talking about other guitars.

On-topic: Dredg, *I* managed to buy and keep a Boden without my skin growing thin - Just keep your expectations realistic, and don't settle for less than you'd get from any other guitar in the price range - Until we hear otherwise, Ola and Ed's return policy is the main thing (other than exorbitant price :) ) that sets their brand apart.

I'll step out of the thread now - Had I known my comment about misleading reviews would cause owners to lash out, I would have phrased it a little more diplomatically.

http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-2017-strandberg-os.321401/#post-4733239

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    Dredg likes this.
  17. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

I'm not going to ignore anyone because this is a discussion forum for a reason, don't take me wrong. Of course you have every right to give your opinion, I haven't said otherwise. And as I said there ARE some bad Strandbergs out there. But it doesn't make my point (or Casper's, or Jonathan's on the other thread) any less valid: a good Strandberg is a great guitar worth every penny.

And just in case you've forgotten, you've been the one who first answered on THIS thread a few hours ago saying "Looking forward to an honest review - We've had some really embarrassing ones here to do with guys ejaculating all over the board about their four hour-old Strandys without even looking at the thing". I answered to that specifically, to make clear the potential buyer that what you said there is not true, so I'm not derailing anything.

To contribute to the OP, buying a second hand guitar is always an added risk, so you'd have to keep that in mind. As it's been said, there are some bad Boden OS out there, but there are many more good ones. Regardless of the brand, me personally I wouldn't buy ANY guitar if I can't either try it out first, or return it later in case there's something wrong. If in this case trying it out is out of question, I probably wouldn't risk it.

*EDIT*: I do agree with you that Strandberg's customer service is one of the things that sets them appart. That's what buying a new one, in case someone's hesitating, should be a no brainer for me. If it's not as good as you expect, you can easily get another one very quickly or get a full refund. Buying second hand though, it's another story...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  18. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm a bit confused (don't follow Strandberg stuff too close): do the new production Strandbergs have issues? I was pretty close to ordering an Original with a trem over the weekend.

19. diagrammatiks

Haven't heard too many negatives about the new stuff. But there have been very few originals sent out. If you are ordering new you have the return policy. Just check over everything when you get it.

20. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

Cool. Thanks. It just kinda dictates who I order from. GC didn't have any in stock but it's much easier to return stuff to them than others. So seems like I'll at least wait for GC to get them. Ended up buying an ESP M-Seven, but who knows if I'll keep it.