Stephen Carpenter got a 9-string(!)

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by couverdure, Sep 20, 2018.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

My point was: You say it like if Stef made a conscious decision about wanting a straight scale. I see it more likely that Stef just didn't think too much about it.

And maybe this goes into the unpopular opinion thread but I think Tosin's tone really doesn't sound great.
    Dino's tone sounds great when he plays his 7s but the low F# on his 8 string I'm not sooo convinced. The 8 string set was the "unbalanced" string set we were discussing as far as I remember.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Seems like he made the conscious decision to add a string to the guitar platform he's been using for nearly two decades now.

AkiraSpectrum and mlp187 like this.
  3. I play music

Or
    "Hey ESP, this looks cool, I also want one:"
    [​IMG]
    "Sure, Stephen Carpenter specs?"
    "Yep"
    "Here you go:"
    [​IMG]

4. MaxOfMetal

I don't know why you're so dead set on Carpenter being some "guitar illiterate" who just doesn't care about anything.

The dude has experimented with different scales, pickups and configurations, bridges, neck joints, tunings, etc. over decades.

He probably just asked for another string on his tried and true platform that he's found works for him.

I'm sorry the dude didn't build your dream guitar. :shrug:

Solodini, Veldar, BlueTrident and 3 others like this.
  5. I play music

Your original post sounded to me like going straight scale was a decision based on decades of experience and other guitarists can't know better because they don't have that experience. And with that I disagree: "I assume Stef's decades of being a professional ERG player somewhat informed his decisions here"
    "He probably just asked for another string on his tried and true platform" That's something different and actually close to what I was trying to say... :agreed:

6. MaxOfMetal

You said that this guitar should be spec'd differently, even though we don't know how it will be tuned or played or even what the specs actually are, based on your own preferences.

I asserted that Stef's preferences were for a guitar as pictured, as he ordered. I said an experienced professional musician probably knows what specs they want, if you thought I implied they knew better than you about everything, that was not what I was saying.

I don't think there are "wrong" or "better" specs, just different based on preferences that different players have.

I remember back when the only option for an 8-string scale was 30". The second anyone posed otherwise they were shot down. Now, it's fairly well accepted that there is a wide range of "proper" scales as some are fine with 27" or even less while others like 28" or 30" or even greater.

I've personally bagged on the Stef pickup configuration, I don't like it. But, I know that's because I personally have little use for a middle bucker. I wouldn't say Stef "really should have put a neck pickup".

7. I play music

What's wrong about saying that if you think it should have one?

8. MaxOfMetal

Because it's not my place to spec out someone else's guitar to my liking over theirs.

I'll never understand why folks want guitars they didn't buy, or have the opportunity to buy, to be spec'd a certain way.

setsuna7 likes this.
  9. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

I've never felt such a combination of awe and dread...awe at the guitar, dread that half of the next Deftones album will feature it. I miss 6-string, or hell, even 7-string Deftones. :(

Noisy Humbucker likes this.
  10. I play music

Someone expressing an opinion and the specs of the guitar actually changing are two very different things. I don't see how it does any harm to anyone or where the problem is if some random guy on the internet says that he'd change a certain spec if it were his guitar. :scratch:

11. MaxOfMetal

That's fine.

I'm just saying I don't think that the guitar is spec'd "wrong".

This is probably just a misunderstanding. :shrug:

12. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Stef has long used lighter strings on super low tunings. Dude probably has incredible control of his playing technique and that lighter string sound is a huge part of his tone. If he was playing 30" scale guitars with a .090 for his low F# he wouldn't sound like Stef.

Going longer on ERGs is often justified because of better intonation and stuff like that even though most dudes are adding a ton of strings and still only playing open and 1st fret on the bottom few. Really getting a longer scale adds a ton of tension which helps people stay in control of the guitar when they're new to it. Dudes that have been playing ERGs forever like Tosin start with the extra long scales and often rein it back in to 27" or around there.

Im sure Stef will sling some incredibly heavy riffs with this new 9. Im eagerly awaiting the next track that hits as hard as the end of Diamond Eyes.

setsuna7, Masoo2 and BrailleDecibel like this.
  13. I play music

I'm the opposite haha ;-) I like the 8 string Deftones way more.
    Yeah, it's spec'd wrong for my taste. But my taste doesn't affect Stef.
    Anyways, I'm eager to hear what he does with this new instrument :hbang:Haven't heard any good music made with 9 strings yet but I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  14. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Adrenaline or bust

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Man, ITT @I play music digging in hard on the “Stef’s personal guitar should’ve been a multiscale” argument. :lol: That’s some deep level commitment to a hypothetical argument about what someone else might or might not be thinking!

Soya likes this.
  16. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

If I ever get a custom guitar, I'm gonna be sure to build it to what people think I should build it to, rather than my own wants and needs. That's what custom means, right?

17. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

Adrenaline is the worst Deftones record

besides the new one, that is

ImNotAhab likes this.
  18. Milchek

Milchek SS.org Regular

I read somewhere that the next album is a return to slightly heavier form - which Stef wanted to go back to.

lewis likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

damn that heastock looks killer on this to my tastes!!

20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

So does that mean I can get 9-string fluence pickups from Fishman now?

Veldar, 0rimus and I play music like this.